Topic locked

Qualifiers Wanted For World Open

Postby Wildey

http://www.worldsnooker.com/world_open_ ... World_Open)-2307.htm?tid=167

World Snooker and Rileys have released details of how to enter the pre-qualifying competitions for the new World Open.

This fantastic and innovative tournament is giving amateur players the chance to rub shoulders with the likes of Ronnie O'Sullivan, Stephen Hendry and Neil Robertson if they can go all the way to the televised stages. It's snooker's version of the FA Cup, with the possibility of a rags-to-riches story if one of the club players can reach the business end.

Competitions will be staged by 20 different clubs, ten Rileys and ten independent (listed below), around the UK over the coming weeks. Each competition will produce one winner, who will go through to the professional qualifying rounds at the World Snooker Academy in Sheffield from August 21-24. They will then be battling for a place in the televised stages, at the SECC in Glasgow from September 18-26, when the sport's star names will be fighting for the trophy and a prize fund of £500,000.

A spokesman for World Snooker said: "This is a chance of a lifetime for anyone who has dreamed of playing snooker on the biggest stage to step up and show us what you've got! We're encouraging anyone who fancies their chances to get in touch with the nearest club staging a competition, enter it, get practising and then see how far you can get. There have to be 20 club players going through to the professional stages and IT COULD BE YOU! It would be fantastic if just one of those got all the way to the TV phase.

"We're delighted to be working alongside Rileys and other independent clubs on this brilliant initiative which we hope will generate more interest in playing and watching snooker thoughout the UK and beyond."

Rileys Chief Executive Maurice Kelly said: “Rileys are delighted to support snooker's new World Open. Initially, all 120 Rileys clubs nationwide will be participating. Players who win their opening-round matches go through to our ten regional finals. The ten winners then go into the competition proper.

“The knock out format is definitely going to throw up some surprises when the minnows come up against the big boys! And the £500,000 prize fund guarantees everyone will be on top of their game. Rileys and World Snooker are working to make sure the World Open gets off to a flying start.”

For more information, including the rules of entry, click here

Tickets for the final stages at the SECC in Glasgow are now on sale, for details call 0844 395 4000 or visit http://www.worldsnooker.com/tickets

The World Open receives equal funding and support from EventScotland and Glasgow City Marketing Bureau.

Participating Clubs:

RILEYS

Plymouth
4a Courtenay Street
Off New George Street
Plymouth
Devon
PL1 1EP
01752 222836

Leicester (Willie Thorne)
Attenborough House
Charles Street
Leicester
Leicestershire
LE1 1FA
0116 2626239

Middlesbrough
234-254 Linthorpe Road
Middlesbrough
North Yorkshire
TS1 3QP
01642 220764

Norwich
77-87 Magdalen Street
Norwich
Norfolk
NR3 1AA
01603 617456

Stevenage
Letchmore Road
Stevenage
Hertfordshire
SG1 3HU
01438 729212

Glasgow, Ledard Road
130 Ledard Road
Battlefield
Glasgow
Glasgow City
G42 9RA
0141 6361944

Cardiff, Wellington Street
Wellington House
Wellington Street, Canton
Cardiff
Wales
CF11 9BE
02920 390322

Preston
Lowthian House, Starch House Square
Market Street
Preston
Lancashire
PR1 2ES
01772 203228

Dunfermline
25 Queen Anne Street
Dunfermline
Fife
KY12 7BA
01383 733555

Guildford
11 Haydon Place
Guildford
Surrey
GU1 4LL
01483 505599

INDEPENDENT

Ivy Rooms Snooker Club
Barrow Valley Retail Park
Sleaty Road
Graiguecullen
Carlow
Republic of Ireland
059 913 7714

Keynsham Snooker Club
Chew Park
Temple Street
Keynsham
Bristol
BS31 1HE
0117 9861375

Grove Snooker Centre
1 Faringdon Grove
Faringdon Avenue
Romford
RM3 8TD
01708 377778

South West Snooker Academy
The Aquarius Centre
Waterwells
Gloucester
GL2 2FC
01452 729380 (Liz Lane)
The event will take place on July 31st 2010

The Q Club (West End)
101 St Georges Road
Glasgow
G3 6JA
0141 333 9035

Northern Snooker Centre
Kirkstall Road
Leeds
West Yorkshire
LS3 1LT
0113 2433015

Re: Qualifiers Wanted For World Open

Postby JohnFromLondonTown

Sorry wild, what's the closing date for this too? Up to me tonsils in work at the moment, I've accounts going live left, right & centre where the proper infrastructure has not been put in place & I'm working bucking 14/15 hour days trying to clear up after the bucking goons!

Nice to come on here & come up for air now & again tho.... :john:

Postby Wildey

JohnFromLondonTown wrote:Sorry wild, what's the closing date for this too? Up to me tonsils in work at the moment, I've accounts going live left, right & centre where the proper infrastructure has not been put in place & I'm working bucking 14/15 hour days trying to clear up after the bucking goons!

Nice to come on here & come up for air now & again tho.... :john:

to be honest i cant find closing dates but my advice is give the club nearest to you a ring to find out when are they individualy holding qualifying events.

Postby Wildey

Alex0paul WC wrote:Wahey I'll be entering this too.

good on you <ok>

Postby Alex0paul

Anyone have any ideas for a nickname as the Entry form asks for one. My style of play is very slow and cautious if that helps, also for alliteration purposes my surname begins with H.

Postby Alex0paul

I've gone with Patterns. I havent picked up my cue in 6 months so I best start practising.

Postby Rocket_ron

Sonny wrote::santa:

that was a great spot with Phil Mickleson winning the Masters by the way :redneck:

thanks sonny,

yes i got a few right this year

williams - china
robertson - worlds

mickleson - golf masters

Postby Wildey

Alex0paul WC wrote:I've gone with Patterns. I havent picked up my cue in 6 months so I best start practising.

yes good idea.

snooker island is behind you <ok>

Stephen Hendry vs Alex Patterns id have to think twice who to support lol

BTW Why do you need a nickname lol

Postby Alex0paul

wildJONESEYE wrote:
Alex0paul WC wrote:I've gone with Patterns. I havent picked up my cue in 6 months so I best start practising.

yes good idea.

I'd imagine it was just incase I managed to qualify for the TV stages although I'd give odds of Billions to one for that to happen.

Postby Wildey

Alex0paul WC wrote:
wildJONESEYE wrote:

yes good idea.

I'd imagine it was just incase I managed to qualify for the TV stages although I'd give odds of Billions to one for that to happen.

so Willie thorne can take your breakbuilding apart saying "patterns should have gone in to the pack off the blue when theres a flat back pack getting in off the black is very difficult" rofl

Postby Roland

rocket_ron wrote:

that was a great spot with Phil Mickleson winning the Masters by the way :redneck:

thanks sonny,

williams - china
robertson - worlds

mickleson - golf masters

I was talking to Patterns

Postby Rocket_ron

Sonny wrote:
rocket_ron wrote:

thanks sonny,

williams - china
robertson - worlds

mickleson - golf masters

I was talking to Patterns

oh :(

Postby Wildey

weewelshwitch wrote:Diolch yn Fawr!!

cawn siarad cymraeg byth neb callach ;)

Postby Tubberlad

Fáilte mór raibh an callach bídeach ón mBreatain Beag. Sorry, couldn't have all this Welsh flying around without getting a plug in for my own language.

Postby Wildey

thetubberlad wrote:Fáilte mór raibh an callach bídeach ón mBreatain Beag. Sorry, couldn't have all this Welsh flying around without getting a plug in for my own language.

<laugh>

lets start a language section you and case can chat and tourist us off <laugh>

Postby Wildey

Baird books World Open Place

Sam Baird won the South West Snooker Academy qualifier to book himself into the World Open at Sheffield

70 players from all over the country assembled at the new South West Snooker Academy in Gloucester to contest the World Open Qualifier. But in the end it was two West Country lads who reached the final.

It was the largest entry list of any of the Amateur qualifying events set up around the country to produce 20 Amateur players who will compete alongside the professionals in the World Open.

Baird's narrow 3-2 win over Andrew Norman in a thrilling final, refereed by Paul Collier, ensured him a place in the draw, where he will face China's Anda Zhang at the EIS in Sheffield.

Baird also received a Scholarship from the South West Snooker Academy, presented to him by Paul Mount.

The final opened with a fine run of 55 from Baird before he missed a red to the corner. Norman clawed his way right back into the frame, only to agonisingly lose it on the black.

more here http://www.global-snooker.com/global-sn ... 100801.asp

Results Here http://www.global-snooker.com/2010-SWSA ... esults.asp

Postby Smart

wildJONESEYE wrote:
Baird's narrow 3-2 win over Andrew Norman in a thrilling final, refereed by Paul Collier, ensured him a place in the draw, where he will face China's Anda Zhang at the EIS in Sheffield.

Zhanger will teach that country bumpkin a snooker lesson. <ok>

Zhanger <cool>

Postby Alex0paul

StalinESQ wrote:
wildJONESEYE wrote:

Zhanger will teach that country bumpkin a snooker lesson. <ok>

Zhanger <cool>

I wouldn't be so sure of that