Post a reply

Selby responds to Ronnie comments

Postby SnookerFan

World number one Mark Selby has described Ronnie O’Sullivan’s controversial comments aimed at a number of his rivals as “harsh”.

O'Sullivan recently hit the headlines for branding lower-ranked professionals "numpties" and has followed it up this week by suggesting the majority of players in the modern game lack the "bottle" required to win multiple titles.

O'Sullivan, whose tally of 31 career ranking titles is second only to Stephen Hendry, believes that with the exception of "four or five players", most "get a bit flaky under the cosh" and are "clueless".

Selby, the reigning and three-time World Champion, responded to The Rocket's remarks after his Quarter-Final win over Michael White in the Ladbrokes World Grand Prix on Friday.

"I read what he said, it was probably a bit harsh on some of the other players he's not mentioned," Selby told ITV Sport.

"Obviously your Robertsons and your Murphys are Triple Crown winners so it's a bit harsh on them.

"To be fair, Ronnie's 42 years old and probably playing as good now as he's ever done.

"Similar to Federer in tennis, he's getting better with age which is worrying for all of us."

O'Sullivan was in scintillating form on Thursday as he whitewashed Xiao Guodong 5-0 with the aid of four century breaks to reach the Semi-Finals in Preston.

He remains on a collision course with rival Selby for a potential show-down in Sunday's final and Selby admits he would relish the challenge.

"I was practicing so I didn't watch any of it but when it got to the interval at four-nil, the stats came on the TV in the practice room of his pot success rate at 99 per cent and I was like 'jesus'.

"Two minutes later he's in the practice room himself so I'm thinking he's probably looking for that extra one per cent somewhere!

"If I win the Semi-Final and Ronnie wins and he carries on playing like that, I'd prefer that because I know if I go out there and carry on playing like I am then I've got no chance so I know where I stand."

Selby has endured a season of mixed fortunes, winning the International Championship last October while suffering early exits in the UK Championship and Masters.

The Leicester ace was far from at his best in a 5-2 win over White on Friday afternoon and says he is struggling to identify what the issue is.

"It's more just frustration than anything else because I'm playing well on the practice table, cueing well, but I'm going out there and it's just not happening.

"Any shot over six foot I'm not even timing it and just cueing across it.

"I just can't put my finger on what it is.

"But you'd rather be playing like that and still be in the tournament than play really well and be going home.

"I take pride in my performance and I'm not happy with the way I performed there," he added.

http://www.livesnooker.com/category/maj ... 0223-0003/

Re: Selby responds to Ronnie comments

Postby SnookerFan

Also, just to go off topic on the first post, but why does everybody have to bring Federer into everything?

I'd understand the point he was making about Ronnie playing well lately, without visualising Federer.

Do people just not understand snooker when it's not being compared to tennis?
Last edited by SnookerFan on 27 Feb 2018, edited 1 time in total.

Postby Chalk McHugh

SnookerFan wrote:Also, just to go off topic on the first post, but what does everybody have to bring Federer into everything?

I'd understand the point he was making about Ronnie playing well lately, without visualising Federer.

Yea, there's too much Federer comparisons going on with Ronnie. Even Selby is at it now.

Postby Cloud Strife

Chalk McHugh wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:Also, just to go off topic on the first post, but what does everybody have to bring Federer into everything?

Yea, there's too much Federer comparisons going on with Ronnie. Even Selby is at it now.

I wonder if on the tennis forums, and tennis players, they constantly compare Federer to Ronnie and tennis in general to snooker? :chin:
Last edited by Cloud Strife on 27 Feb 2018, edited 1 time in total.

Postby TheSaviour

I suppose they both still half-beliefs they wouldn´t naturally have that agerssion towards me.

Or at least that what they still very much fancy to pretend at. *4. To at least..

The scores of posters and players should thank me. Selby or Ronnie wouldn´t never allow anyone to have any prospects if I wouldn´t had mention about those valuable hostages I had captured. They just don´t realise how things are related and how they are not. Before it´s too late.

But they both should be at least that much of narcissistic that they would allow EVERYONE to have at least a possibility to grow up to be persons like they themselves are. And that happens only when there´s no live streams. That´s how Ronnie and Mark both have grown up. No-one can grow up to be like that if everything is live-streamed and afterwards well analysed.

Now they just realised that they, now we don´t have that stream anymore. But let´s just keep it going via and with a help of a social media.. :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: What a complete waste of a spaces both Ronnie O´Sullivan and Mark Selby.

But at least they have not completely ruled themselves out like all the others.. Already a years ago. And so consistently living up to it. Who´s that person?? Who´s that?? Naaaa, we don´t know him. Some stranger.

Ok. Ok. Ok.

But let´s just keep on rocking for the free world. At least from now on then. If not anything else.
Last edited by TheSaviour on 27 Feb 2018, edited 1 time in total.

Postby Iranu

Cloud Strife wrote:
Chalk McHugh wrote:

I wonder if on the tennis forums, and tennis players, they constantly compare Federer to Ronnie and tennis in general to snooker? :chin:

On tennis forums snooker probably doesn't even register on their radar, sad to say.

Regarding the comparison, considering what they've both done in the last year or so it's an apt one to make and I don't really see the problem with it. The fact that you personally don't like tennis doesn't invalidate the comparison.

I do however think that snooker has something of an inferiority complex which means that players/pundits try too hard to stand it alongside other sports. Golf, boxing, tennis etc. Jill Douglas even compared a frame in Sunday's final to scoring a try in rugby FFS. Talk about tenuous.

But cross-sport comparisons are made by all sports, it's not unique to snooker.

Postby SnookerFan

Why? What has he done in the last year? Won a lot of tournaments?

Just seemed an odd thing to say. I mean, Selby points out Ronnie has won a lot of tournaments, thought people wouldn't understand what he meant, and then pointed out another athlete as an example.

I'm not sure it was needed. <laugh>

Postby Holden Chinaski

SnookerFan wrote:Why? What has he done in the last year? Won a lot of tournaments?

Just seemed an odd thing to say. I mean, Selby points out Ronnie has won a lot of tournaments, thought people wouldn't understand what he meant, and then pointed out another athlete as an example.

People compare Ronnie with Federer because Federer keeps winning tournaments despite getting older and that is unusual in tennis and most other sports. It's also unusual in snooker and Ronnie's doing the same in snooker.. What people seem to forget is that Ronnie's six years older than Federer... So, Ronnie's doing even better than Federer.

Postby SnookerFan

Cloud Strife wrote:
Chalk McHugh wrote:

Seems there is an inferiority complex in snooker sometimes. Even from within itself.

Postby Cloud Strife

SnookerFan wrote:
Cloud Strife wrote:
Chalk McHugh wrote:

Seems there is an inferiority complex in snooker sometimes. Even from within itself.

Unfortunately there is. Some of the snooker media and broadcasters don't help, imo.

The BBC and some of their pundits are especially bad in this regard. Davis treats snooker fandom like a dirty secret he doesn't want people knowing about, do you think tennis and golf broadcasters are similarly embarrassed by their sports like Davis is? Then you have Parrott who looks like he'd rather be anywhere other than the snooker and has even said as much in the past. And what about John Virgo who'd rather watch "match of the bucking day". I could go on, but you get the point.

Postby Iranu

Holden Chinaski wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:Why? What has he done in the last year? Won a lot of tournaments?

People compare Ronnie with Federer because Federer keeps winning tournaments despite getting older and that is unusual in tennis and most other sports. It's also unusual in snooker and Ronnie's doing the same in snooker.. What people seem to forget is that Ronnie's six years older than Federer... So, Ronnie's doing even better than Federer.

I wouldn't say that what Ronnie's doing is better as such because Fed's is a much more physically demanding sport. The fact that he's the oldest ever WN1 particularly after being out for so long with injuries and surgery.

Of course you could say that Ronnie's renaissance has last 5-6 years by this point so much longer than Fed's. But he was 36 six years ago which is starting to seem like the new peak for snooker players anyway

Postby Dan-cat

SnookerFan wrote:"I was practicing so I didn't watch any of it but when it got to the interval at four-nil, the stats came on the TV in the practice room of his pot success rate at 99 per cent and I was like 'jesus'.

"Two minutes later he's in the practice room himself so I'm thinking he's probably looking for that extra one per cent somewhere!

"If I win the Semi-Final and Ronnie wins and he carries on playing like that, I'd prefer that because I know if I go out there and carry on playing like I am then I've got no chance so I know where I stand."

hahah love this. Gotta admire his honesty.

Postby Chalk McHugh

SnookerFan wrote:"RONNIE O'SULLIVAN should be classed above sporting greats like Tiger Woods and Roger Federer, according to Steve Davis."

Will the shocks never end? :shock:

He should have won that BBC Sports Personality award at least once. It's a disgrace how little time snooker gets on that cringy show.

Postby SnookerFan

Anybody who take Sports Personality seriously needs their head examined.

It's the annual BBC Sports Christmas Party, nothing more. They might as well call it the; "Who won more, Andy Murray or Jessica Ennis? award".

I wish the BBC would scrap it, and use the budget to buy actual sport.

And it always makes The Apprentice Final late...

Postby Holden Chinaski

SnookerEd25 wrote:I don't know, his 'personality' is pretty cringey.

At least he's got one. He speaks his mind and doesn't care what people think. I respect that. Does he speak rubbish sometimes? Yes, a lot.I still respect him because he's his own man.

Postby SnookerFan

I reckon I should sign up to a tennis forum, and ask; "Do you consider Roger Federer to be the Ronnie O'Sullivan of tennis?"

And see what responses I get. rofl

Postby Chalk McHugh

SnookerFan wrote:Anybody who take Sports Personality seriously needs their head examined.

It's the annual BBC Sports Christmas Party, nothing more. They might as well call it the; "Who won more, Andy Murray or Jessica Ennis? award".

I'd scrap it too. Load of nonsense. But as it's not scrapped snooker shouöd get more than the annual 10 second slot it gets. The greatest sporting genius on the planet has been plying his trade for 25 years and he never gets a mention. I dont watch it but i know some who do and they tell me that snooker gets about 5-10 seconds coverage.

Postby Chalk McHugh

SnookerFan wrote:Anybody who take Sports Personality seriously needs their head examined.

Anyone who watches the Apprentice needs their head examined haha

Postby Chalk McHugh

Holden Chinaski wrote:
SnookerEd25 wrote:I don't know, his 'personality' is pretty cringey.

At least he's got one. He speaks his mind and doesn't care what people think. I respect that. Does he speak rubbish sometimes? Yes, a lot.I still respect him because he's his own man.

Yea, Ronnie has a good personality. Esp on punditry duties. He's a breath of fresh air.

Postby SnookerFan

Chalk McHugh wrote:I'd scrap it too. Load of nonsense. But as it's not scrapped snooker shouöd get more than the annual 10 second slot it gets. The greatest sporting genius on the planet has been plying his trade for 25 years and he never gets a mention. I dont watch it but i know some who do and they tell me that snooker gets about 5-10 seconds coverage.

To be fair, I don't reckon Ronnie cares about it. <laugh>

Postby Chalk McHugh

SnookerFan wrote:
Chalk McHugh wrote:I'd scrap it too. Load of nonsense. But as it's not scrapped snooker shouöd get more than the annual 10 second slot it gets. The greatest sporting genius on the planet has been plying his trade for 25 years and he never gets a mention. I dont watch it but i know some who do and they tell me that snooker gets about 5-10 seconds coverage.

To be fair, I don't reckon Ronnie cares about it. <laugh>

I heard Hendry complaining about this very issue only last weekend. I think the top players do care about the insulting, paltry, token 5 seconds it gets on that annual sports show.