Post a reply

Re: How Barry Hearn could improve the snooker 1000%

Postby Roland

Get them coming out to Zappa. There's a darts player who goes by the nickname the Muffin Man and he doesn't even come out to the song Muffin Man by Zappa! What an idiot! He could start with standing still as the song kicks in at 1:16

"There is not, nor art there be, nothing so exulted on the face of gods great earth as that prince of foods - the muffin"

start walk

"you thought it was a man, but it was a muffin" etc etc

Then you could get most of the solo in before the fade out. Throw a few muffins to the crowd to prolong the music and hey presto, instant crowd favourite.

Postby Wildey

jafinkesaurus wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:Bring back the old BBC Snooker theme tune. It's poo now.... It used to be a wicked tune back in the day!

what about people who watch eurosport? is snooker already 1000% better for them or will stay poo forever? :scared:

how would you seriously rate eurosports coverage.

here in Britain its cool

Postby Madz

wildJONESEYE wrote:
jafinkesaurus wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:Bring back the old BBC Snooker theme tune. It's poo now.... It used to be a wicked tune back in the day!

what about people who watch eurosport? is snooker already 1000% better for them or will stay poo forever? :scared:

here in Britain its cool

Eurosport is the only snooker coverage we get here in Europe, so I guess we must be thankful... but those who are appointing (russian) commentator(s) :bang2: and those who are putting the n-th repeat of ski jumping (which I usually like to watch) or tennis at the time when the program says it's live snooker time :grrr: so when I can't be there to watch it live, I am using a lot of time to get to watch BBC online when I can ;)

Postby jafinkesaurus

wildJONESEYE wrote:
jafinkesaurus wrote:

here in Britain its cool

here its either eurosport coverage or no coverage.

anyone want to marry me so i could move to britain to watch snooker on bbc?? <laugh>

Postby Madz

jafinkesaurus wrote:
wildJONESEYE wrote:
jafinkesaurus wrote:

here in Britain its cool

anyone want to marry me so i could move to britain to watch snooker on bbc?? <laugh>

I wouldn't bother with BBC if I was living in UK and could go to watch any live snooker <laugh>

Postby Wildey

jafinkesaurus wrote:
wildJONESEYE wrote:
jafinkesaurus wrote:

here in Britain its cool

a bit extrema however im game only if the girlfriend sais yes <laugh>

Postby Noel

Sonny wrote:Get them coming out to Zappa. There's a darts player who goes by the nickname the Muffin Man and he doesn't even come out to the song Muffin Man by Zappa! What an idiot! He could start with standing still as the song kicks in at 1:16

"There is not, nor art there be, nothing so exulted on the face of gods great earth as that prince of foods - the muffin"

start walk

"you thought it was a man, but it was a muffin" etc etc

Then you could get most of the solo in before the fade out. Throw a few muffins to the crowd to prolong the music and hey presto, instant crowd favourite.

That's BRILLIANT!

.... but we must interrupt this entertaining post to bring you a serial forum question.

I have re-set may favourite player to be none other than the unforgettable "Sitthidead Sackbiang"
and I would like to use this as my avatar... but it's too large ... HELP!

Thank you. Carry on...

=o)

Noel

Postby SnookerFan

This wasn't a matter that was open to debate. Bring back the old theme tune! :wild2:

<laugh>

Moving on to the changed subject, I think Eurosport's coverage over here can be pretty rubbish. I appreciate if it wasn't for Eurosport, some tournaments wouldn't be on at all so the old "Eurosport's coverage is good compared to absolutely nothing" is going to be brought into the conversation. But even so, Eurosport's coverage can be piss-poor at times. You tune in at 1:00pm because that's when the show is scheduled to start, and you have to watch 45 minutes of motorbiking, that isn't even live. <doh> I did once tune in and an England under-21s game had gone into overtime. That can't be accounted for, I guess. But a none-live show highlights show being put on first, despite the snooker being advertised? What sort of amateurism is that. Especially when you finally get to see the snooker, they are 15 minutes away from mid-session.

The commentators aint great either.

Postby SnookerFan

Sonny wrote:Eurosport has charm. I wouldn't change it for the world. It's my favourite sport channel by a mile.

The only charming thing about Eurosport is that it's cheaper to get then Sky Sports/ESPN. <laugh>

For a channel that broadcasts across all of Europe, in several different languages, it can be Micky Mouse at times. Credit to it for making snooker popular in Europe, but some of the things that happen on it can make you cringe. One commentator, I forget who, once said that Steve Davis beat Ronnie O'Sullivan to win The Masters in 2003. Instead of correcting him, the other commentator was just like; "Are you sure?"

The commercial breaks are entertaining though. You get an advert for the Eurosport website, and an advert for something coming up later on Eurosport, and then its back to the snooker. You can have a ga,e to see how many adverts for stuff that isn't Eurosport you can see. Four advertising Incredible India, one telling you to give blood and another asking you to turn your lights off at night. <laugh>

Postby JohnFromLondonTown

SnookerFan wrote:
Sonny wrote:Eurosport has charm. I wouldn't change it for the world. It's my favourite sport channel by a mile.

The only charming thing about Eurosport is that it's cheaper to get then Sky Sports/ESPN. <laugh>

<laugh>

Postby Smart

SnookerFan wrote: it can be Micky Mouse at times.

a bit harsh on Mickey Mouse really...... its coverage and that is not to be sniffed at, but with commentators like Joe Johnson on board it will always be 2nd fiddle. They also miss the break off from many frames shown, and as already stated they could not keep to a schedule if they tried too. <laugh>

:shake: :sylvester:

Postby SnookerFan

The Cueist wrote:I know i sound a bit like some Lancastrian towns finest, ;) but Eurosport is better than nowt and is tout cheap. :D :ahh: <cool>

I knew somebody would say that earlier; "It's better then nothing." Of course it is. This doesn't necessarily mean something is first rate.

Obviously, the BBC don't want the tournaments. Sky isn't interested at present, and not everybody has it or can afford it anyway. Have ITV or Channel 4 ever shown snooker tournaments? I'm not sure they have or would. And I can't see Channel 5 having the budget, or the capability to cover a snooker tournament fully. So, the fact that it's on a channel at all is good news, and we should at least thank the broadcaster for chosing to put snooker on. Otherwise we'd be discussing the less prestigious tournaments in the same way we discuss PTC, by looking at endless results of games and wondering how people were playing.

I think the point we were making though, is that for a channel that spans across Europe in buck knows how many languages, you'd perhaps expect them to be a bit more professional at times. And, for a channel that nobody advertises on, you'd think missing the break off shot after a commercial break would be difficult.

Postby Wildey

Im absolutely dumbfounded they broadcast snooker live no other British channel will because they not British tournaments and people complain.....WORDS FAIL ME.

can i ask you what would be better missing a bucking break off or missing a week of tournaments....

if you go for a snake hiss or someone at the door you miss break offs often anyway .....whats going on here are snooker fans built in victor bucking meldrew complaining about every jack rubbish ??????????????