Topic locked

News from the Ladies and 2010/11 calendar

Postby Monique

Recieved by email from Mandy Fisher
Dear Member

Most of you will know that when World Snooker could no longer fund the ladies game, I approached a friend of mine, Phil Mumford at Cambridge Snooker Centre to ask if he could help. Not only did he offer the club as a venue for the World and any other championship that we required, but he sorted out some sponsorship for the main and billiards events. A few years ago Phil moved to the Pot Black Sports Bar in Bury St Edmunds, which has recently undergone refurbishment and is in the process of installing new tables. I have been working with Phil on holding an event there and the club has agreed to put up £200 for the British Open, as the Newmarket venue, where we previously held it, is now closed.

As well as this we have achieved £1,500 sponsorship from the brewery, Greene King, for the World Championship main event. Plus £500 from an anonymous donor for the billiards. We are currently working on individual sponsors for some of the other world events. and we are also working on hotel deals in the area for the duration of the championship. So the World Championships will be held in Bury St. Edmunds next year and will be sponsored. Please do not book any accommodation until we have negotiated with some local hotels. The World Ladies Billiards will be held on the Tuesday, as in previous years, but the World Mixed Pairs will be held on the Friday afternoon and evening, before the main event commences, and will hopefully be sponsored. The reason for this is because it is too close to the start of the crucible World Championships to have it at the end of our events. Although not confirmed, there may be a welcome buffet for sponsors, players and their guests before the World Mixed Pairs final on the Friday evening.

I hope that this is okay with everyone. An immense amount of work has gone into arranging this, not least from Phil, who stayed up all night one night last week to finish a proposal that was required to seal the sponsorship with the brewery. The Pot Black Sports Bar has an excellent web site, http://www.potblacksportsbar.co.uk

I welcome suggestions from all members on the event. The main event format will be the same as this year with the 8 seeds through to the last 16. However, if there are less than 28 entries then we may only be able to put through 4 seeds as there won't be enough players in each round robin group. No qualifier or seed will be allowed in the plate competition and prize money will be paid down to the last 16. There will also be some prize money in the plate competition. Depending on the number of entries the billiards will be a round robin format.

Please find attached the proposed calendar of events. Entry forms will be sent out next month once all other dates, venues and sponsorship have been confirmed. I hope you all have a good summer and I look forward to seeing you at the end of September for the Wytech Masters and the UK Ladies Snooker Championship which my dear friend Paul Wood has agreed to sponsor for £500.
Best wishes
Mandy Fisher

Chairman and Tournament Director

Calendar

2010 Wytech Ladies Masters

Sponsored by Wytech
FREE ENTRY
Saturday 25th September 2010
North East Derbyshire Snooker Centre
Derby Road, Clay Cross S41

2010 Paul Wood UK Championship

Ranking Event £500 sponsorship
Sunday 26th September 2010
North East Derbyshire Snooker Centre
Derby Road, Clay Cross S41

2010 East Anglian Championship

Ranking Event
Saturday 30th October 2010
Cambridge Snooker Centre
Coldhams Road
Cambridge CB1 3EW

2010 British Open

Sponsored by
Pot Black Sports Bar
Ranking Event
Saturday 27th November 2010
Pot Black Sports Bar
Eastgate Street
Bury St Edmunds IP33 1YQ

2011 Southern Classic

Ranking Event
Saturday 12th February 2011
Jesters, Swindon
To be confirmed

2011 Connie Gough Nationals

Ranking Event
Saturday 12th March 2011
Venue to be confirmed

2011 World Championship

Sponsored by Greene King
Friday 8th April – 13th April 2011
Pot Black Sports Bar
Bury St Edmunds
Double Ranking Event
World Ladies Snooker Championship
Winner - £1,000
World Mixed Pairs Snooker (Fri 8th)
World Ladies Billiards Championship
£500 sponsorship
World Ladies Seniors (40 & over)
World Ladies Doubles
World Ladies Junior Championship
World Ladies Plate Competition

Re: News from the Ladies and 2010/11 calendar

Postby Roland

Good luck to them. The money mentioned is a disgrace really, but I'm as bad as the rest for not following the ladies game. It's clearly not in the best of health.

Postby Wildey

i follow the ladies game via snooker scene and i would go if it was easily accessible to me but i don't think id make a long road trip by car though.

i wish them well and hope Reanne Evans shows the way to improved standards and who knows if and its a big if should reanne make the grade the whole woman's game might benefit in some way from it.

Postby Monique

As you might imagine with the money involved none of the ladies can make a living out of snooker, actually for all except a handfull their sport costs them money. They all have other activities, work, school, family. Therefore it is necessary to keep the events very compact, a day or a week-end at most except for the WC. This in turn leaves no choice but very short formats.
To make sure they don't come (and pay hotels and all) for just one match early stages are almost always round-robin and those who don't go through often have a plate competition to play in. Usually there is also a junior and senior event so that everyone can play as much as possible and get the most out of the week-end.
It's played in clubs ... in club conditions and usually with very little audience except friends and family. Also everyone working there does it on free time and more often than not at own expenses.
So you see you can't really compare the Ladies tour with the MT...

Postby Smart

Interesting to read this.

I would expect more help from the WSA - even if it means skimming off some of the money which is raised from sponsors and putting a percentage into the womens game to say pay for accomodation. I would like to put this to Barry Hearn as a suggestion. Has anyone got a contact email for BH.

Little things like this could be the difference between the game dying out for women and that is not acceptable. <ok>

Postby Wildey

barry hearn has gone on record as saying he is in charge of World Snooker Ltd and the Professional Game its open to all its up to them to make the grade to come on board.

Postby Monique

This is true Wild, girls could compete in the MT if they were good enough. But as this has already been discussed there are a lot of factors, sociological and cultural, that have contributed to the current situation, and that is bluntly put that they aren't good enough right now. The Ladies tour is one channel to promote the game with girls and I think it's worth supporting, as is grassroot snooker in general.

Postby Witz78

Monique wrote:This is true Wild, girls could compete in the MT if they were good enough. But as this has already been discussed there are a lot of factors, sociological and cultural, that have contributed to the current situation, and that is bluntly put that they aren't good enough right now. The Ladies tour is one channel to promote the game with girls and I think it's worth supporting, as is grassroot snooker in general.

Some may argue the Womens tour is a case of positive discrimination.

If women truly want to progress in snooker, then why the need for their own tour. They should simply compete with the men at amateur, semi-pro etc levels and find their true level where they deserve to be in the game.

There is no need for the game to be split into different tours based on gender, and for that reason im sorry but its clear why theirs no mass appeal or audience to support a female tour. If there good enough to compete with males then fair play to them but until then women will be a needle in the snooker haystack.

By playing amongst themselves on their own tour, they are stuck within their own bubble whereas they really need to challenge themselves and play the males on a regular basis to see if they can truly compete.

I honestly cant see Hearn supporting a womens tour, the simple fact is he will not reward mediocrity, which is clearly what the majority of the womens game and standards are. This may be a harsh view but its true, and most are probably afraid to admit.

Postby Wildey

Monique wrote:This is true Wild, girls could compete in the MT if they were good enough. But as this has already been discussed there are a lot of factors, sociological and cultural, that have contributed to the current situation, and that is bluntly put that they aren't good enough right now. The Ladies tour is one channel to promote the game with girls and I think it's worth supporting, as is grassroot snooker in general.

agree Monique.

Just one thing i don't understand Why do Women put so much time and effort in Billiards surely that is a hindrance to the bigger picture.

they should put all their focus on snooker as Barry said other day on Radio he has zero interest in nothing to do with billiards.

Postby Smart

Witz78 wrote:
StalinESQ wrote:I'm still waiting for BH email address :chin:

what are you going to ask him? :huh2:

If he was aware of the arrangements as described in this thread.................. and that for women to progress in the game that "their" grassroots need some support - even if that just means stumping up the costs for a weekend hotel costs. Its small beer really, but obviously it is proving a real problem.

I believe in doing what it right in life, and clearly WSA could do the honourable thing here. For the sake of a few K - WSA could be said to be supporting the grassroots of womens snooker. Simple. <ok>

Postby Witz78

StalinESQ wrote:
Witz78 wrote:
StalinESQ wrote:I'm still waiting for BH email address :chin:

what are you going to ask him? :huh2:

If he was aware of the arrangements as described in this thread.................. and that for women to progress in the game that "their" grassroots need some support - even if that just means stumping up the costs for a weekend hotel costs. Its small beer really, but obviously it is proving a real problem.

I believe in doing what it right in life, and clearly WSA could do the honourable thing here. For the sake of a few K - WSA could be said to be supporting the grassroots of womens snooker. Simple. <ok>

Why should the women have their own game and grassroots, in this day and age of political correctness and equality, the women bleat on about getting neglected, getting a raw deal etc. yet want their own tour.

Women should compete against men at all levels (if good enough) and this should start from the bottom competing against males at junior level. By fishbowling themselves within their own gender competitions they are shooting themselves in the foot and minimising the chances of any of the women really having a chance to become a decent player.

Postby Witz78

wildJONESEYE wrote:yes but i wouldnt put women in a boxing ring with men.

mud wrestling yes boxing no <laugh>

yes but their physical sports where the different sexes arent equal.

Snookers different, no reason why women shouldnt be able to compete with men so everyone should compete under the same rules, tour etc

Postby Witz78

StalinESQ wrote:I wouldn't expect disabled people to win the world champs...... does not mean they deserve no funding. Its not all about the elite being supported. The game is actually bigger than what we see on our screens. Just like football is not all about premier league.

:wave:

(a) Disabled sports are different ! But women have no reason not to be able to play snooker, a non physical game to the levels of men so why should their funding be seperate.

(b) The demand and interest in a womens tour, infrastructure just isnt there, anyone who thinks this is kidding theirselves. What do all is snooker fanatics really know about the womens game either?....NOTHING, point proved <ok>

(c) the elite are not only supported in snooker, the rest of the main tour players AKA the mediocrity are also supported also, and anyone not at these levels of standard in snooker shouldnt expect anything from the game IMO. If Reanne, head and shoulders above the rest of the other ladies in the game, fails to make any impact this season on the main tour then its backs up my side of the argument.

Postby Smart

Witz

I am talking about WSA creaming off 5K say and saying to the women here is you hotels paid for at your World champs. It is a helpful hand, some respect for their set up. Nothing more nothing less. Would you like their set up to dissapear and their to be just a mens tour and buck the rest..................

Postby Witz78

StalinESQ wrote:Witz

I am talking about WSA creaming off 5K say and saying to the women here is you hotels paid for at your World champs. It is a helpful hand, some respect for their set up. Nothing more nothing less. Would you like their set up to dissapear and their to be just a mens tour and buck the rest..................

It would probably bring me onto the next part of this debate.........should there even be a womans world championship? :john:

Postby Witz78

StalinESQ wrote:Should there be a mens 100M and a womens 100M....

Should there be a Olympics and a Paralympics,,,,,,,,,,

Of course the 100m should be seperate. Athletics is a PHYSICAL event so obviously women are disadvantaged and it wouldnt be fair.

Likewise with the Paralympics as it wouldnt be fair to expect a disabled person to compete fairly against an able bodied person.

Now tell me why women cant compete fairly with men in snooker? :huh2:

Postby Smart

Witz78 wrote:

Of course the 100m should be seperate. Athletics is a PHYSICAL event so obviously women are disadvantaged and it wouldnt be fair.

Likewise with the Paralympics as it wouldnt be fair to expect a disabled person to compete fairly against an able bodied person.

just because it seems that in 99.9999999% they are not as good <ok>

Postby Witz78

StalinESQ wrote:
Witz78 wrote:

just because it seems that in 99.9999999% they are not as good <ok>

thats a pathetic reason <doh>

in other words their mediocre but snooker should still look after them.

Me and my mates are not as good as the pros on the main tour too but you wont see me outside the WPSBA headquarters with a begging bowl looking for some financial help, i know im not good enough :no:

Postby Witz78

StalinESQ wrote:but you are not female....................

so this is basically an example of positive discrimination.

If women really want equality, then in a sport such as snooker wheres no physical reason for them not to compete with men, they should strive to compete against the men rather than hide away on their own inferior sub standard tour expecting the WPSBA to fund them.

It almost annoys me now that Reanne even got a wildcard now <doh>

Postby Monique

@witz ... nobody in WLBSA has asked for WPBSA to look after the ladies to start with. That's a debate fans started. So your attack is without object. Nobody neither is demanding for positive discrimination but, yes, we are demanding that negative discrimination stops. We are demanding that girls are not excluded from some (too many) clubs, that when teenagers girls come to learn the game they are not regarded a priori as inferior, that they are not mocked or sexually hassled, that boys don't refuse to play against them and that when they do they treat them like opponents not dolls ...
All that discourages girls to play or to continue to play when they are teenagers. Also parents knowing there is little future for girls in the game (or at least perceiving it this way) don't support them most of the time (Mark here is a great exception).
So with small number of girls playing and very little support it's no wonder the standard isn't great.

Postby Casey

Women Golfers have a separate tour, in fact most clubs spend money by facilitating women golfers. I think it is only right the women have their own tour and if any of them are deemed good enough they should be given a Wildcard onto the main tour. Hearn did it with darts and he was right to do it here. I do hope Reanne can keep her place on the tour which would be a massive achievement.

Postby Wildey

its 2010 and i know without a doubt if a woman wanted to play snooker around where i live they will have a hell of a job getting in to play...

ok at the moment i cant get in because the place shut lol

but should it open the attitude is men and only men.

there was a thread on this on 606 year or so ago and men was actually saying women shouldn't be in mens clubs.

<doh>