Post a reply

Re: My tickets for the World Grand Prix are out for delivery

Postby Dan-cat

SnookerFan wrote:
Dan-cat wrote:
Badsnookerplayer wrote:...and another thing - if I put a bit of side on the cueball, then Acesinc and his compatriots would say that I applied English to the white. I have seen all nationalities apply side but you might say that the English invented it. I find that hard to believe if I am honest.

I have a theory that both the chinese snooker and the use of the word English in America to mean side is because it's some kind of play on that fact that it's a bit tricksy/canny/underhand?

Well, not really. rofl

I know I'm clutching at straws a bit here lolz.

Postby SnookerFan

Dan-cat wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:Are us English known for being a bit tricky?

:anyone:

well, for the early American settlers we were probably pretty annoying yeah!

I thought tricky meant cunning, rather than annoying. Like you get away with your tricks.

Postby Dan-cat

Some more theories postulated by the World Wide Web:

- Possibly a reference to hall-of-fame basketball player Alex English. English is an all time top scorer, who scored with technique rather than strength or speed.

- The phrase "Put some English on it" might be a reference to "Old English" a brand of furniture polish.

- “English” is a botched translation of the French “angle” (meaning “angled”), which was mistaken by someone for “Anglais,” meaning “England.”

- Another theory is that the technique was introduced to the US by English pool sharks in the 19th century.

...and this one, which backs up my 'tricksy' theory:

- I suspect that “English” in this sense is just another example of our tendency to label anything even faintly exotic as “foreign” and perhaps faintly disreputable and unfair. If I’m right, “English” is a fairly mild product of the same national finger-pointing that gave us such terms as “French leave” for desertion from the army, “Dutch nightingale” for a frog, and “Irish confetti” for bricks thrown in a street brawl.

Postby Chalk McHugh

Dan-cat wrote:

And for 800 years ye were tricky in Ireland too. Ye got the message eventually.

Postby Dan-cat

Chalk McHugh wrote:
Dan-cat wrote:

And for 800 years ye were tricky in Ireland too. Ye got the message eventually.

Hahaha. Good point.

Postby SnookerFan

Chalk McHugh wrote:No response on the Grand Prix so i wikipedia. As good as any i guess, only in its 4th year i see. All games on ITV 4. Winner gets 100K. Ronnie favourite. Good line up. Will have to work. Enjoy.

Sorry, we were too busy talking marmite. rofl

I like ITV 4's coverage. <ok>