Post a reply

Jimmy makes 147 in exhibition

Postby SnookerFan

I went to Redhill's leg of the Legends of Snooker tonight. It was amazing, the Dennis Taylor vs John Parrott match was amazing. Then Jimmy White played Cliff Thorburn, and in the second frame, Jimmy got a 147. Unbelievable. The only other 147 I saw live was Ding's at the Masters a few years back... But I had no commentary, and didn't realise until near the end... But this, I felt every ball, was psyched all the way, he made a difficult brown and blue at the end... AND SCORED A 147!

He missed the pink in the next frame to make another, to make an amateurish 134. My friend had never been to live snooker, so loved every second of it.

Amazing night. :ba: :ba: :ba:

Re: Jimmy makes 147 in exhibition

Postby JohnFromLondonTown

Reads very well that & sounds like you had a great evening. Was it a full house?

Dennis Taylor replaced Alex Higgins I take it? Did he knock in a 110 against John Parrott?

Postby SnookerFan

JohnFromLondonTown wrote:Reads very well that & sounds like you had a great evening. Was it a full house?

Dennis Taylor replaced Alex Higgins I take it? Did he knock in a 110 against John Parrott?

Dennis Taylor was there, but obviously was well out of practice. He lost 2-0 to John Parrott. Those two were obviously playing for laughs though. John Virgo was doing some comedy commentary, and sent himself up beautifully saying; "Where's the cue ball going" every time it went within half a foot of the pocket. Then Jimmy came out, and went back and forth with Thorburn in the first frame. The next frame Jimmy came in and Virgo annouced it at "five reds, five blacks". Then of course "six reds, six blacks", "seven reds, seven blacks".... But, the way the balls were spread you didn't expect Jimmy to do it, but he did... Unbelievable!

Jimmy then came out for a one frame shoot out against Parrott, as the winner of the other game. To which somebody in the crowd shouted; "Come on Jimmy! 155." Which made everybody laugh. Jimmy then made a 134 and missed the pink for what would've been a second 147 of the night.

He was awarded the winner's trophy, but it didn't matter. The whole night was about banter, with the player's making jokes at each other, suggesting difficult shots when the red were absolute sitters over the pocket etc, and lots of audience inclusion. At one point, Parrott needed up to the blue, but ran out of position on the brown. He turned and asked the audience what he was supposed to do now, so I shouted; "Pot the brown", Parrott turned round and said; "I know that, thanks mate." <laugh>

I took a friend who'd never been to any form of live snooker before, and she said it was an experience she'd never forget. It was a good night, and I was in the front row. My only complaint was no Michaela Tabb, but we got Patricia Murphy there, who fit right in, joking with the players, and pretending not to notice that they moved the marker every time she cleaned the white. At one point, Parrott made fun of her pronouncing the score; "thoity one" in an Irish accent. She quipped back; "Don't miss the next shot, will you?" And at one point, when he did miss, she was getting in his face going; "Thoity one, thoity one." <laugh>

It was an awesome night, where the banter and the fun was more important then the games. If anybody is thinking of going, I recommend it. It was much better then the Jimmy White vs Alex Higgins exhibition I saw last year.
Last edited by SnookerFan on 24 May 2010, edited 1 time in total.

Brilliant! <laugh>

Great story mate. I'm well pleased you & your first time Snooker friend had a great night.

I'll be sure to share what I can come Dublin town 4th July.

Good Stuff!

Postby SnookerFan

JohnFromLondonTown wrote:Brilliant! <laugh>

Great story mate. I'm well pleased you & your first time Snooker friend had a great night.

Good Stuff!

Did you go to this in the end, John?

Postby Noel

I have had very little opportunity to be in the right place at the right time to witnessed a real, live 147.
Afterall, I live in Canada. So I envy you guys in UK.
The closest I've come to that was to have played with friends who have made 147's.
[ perhaps secretly hoping the "147-ness" would rub off ].
At the Canadian Championships last year, the winner, Alain Robidoux was asked by a fan,
"Alain, how many 147's did you make?" He replied, "You mean last night?"
[ and he accused Ron of being arrogant! ]

So with limited chances to see someone "Make-a-Max" I've decided to take matters into my own hands.
I try to practice/play everyday.
My goal: To Be The Oldest Player to Ever Make Their First 147".

That's what I'm doing. Thanks for reading. Thank you for your prayers.

=o)

Noel

Postby SnookerFan

Noel wrote:I have had very little opportunity to be in the right place at the right time to witnessed a real, live 147.
The closest I've come to that was to have played with friends who have made 147's.
At the Canadian Championships last year, the winner, Alain Robidoux was asked by a fan,

So with limited chances to see someone "Make-a-Max" I've decided to take matters into my own hands.

=o)

Noel

The first time I witnessed one I had no commentary ear phone, so didn't realise he was on it until the last three balls. The rest of the crowd had been really rense. <laugh>

SnookerFan wrote:
JohnFromLondonTown wrote:Brilliant! <laugh>

Good Stuff!

Did you go to this in the end, John?

I didn't in the end, can't remember why now. :ashamed:
He's back over here in a couple of weeks, he's not working tho when he does I don't think, so I'm hoping to get a phone call when he does come back over.

Noel wrote:I have had very little opportunity to be in the right place at the right time to witnessed a real, live 147.

=o)

Noel

I met him a couple of times, he seemed all right, he used to practice up in Stirling in Scotland. He also used to do this trick, where he put the black in the middle of the reds, & end up potting the black with the cue ball but having to use 3 cushions first, all being done with no cue & having the cue ball in his hand spinning it off the cushions into the reds & ulitimately potting the black. Ever see him do it? Its very good.

Good luck with the 147 too. Go Noel.....<ok>

Postby Madz

=o)

Noel

Good luck Noel. Maybe I have to set a similar goal for myself. I've heard women on average live longer, so I might have just enough time :evilgrin: <laugh>

Postby SnookerFan

Madz wrote:

=o)

Noel

Good luck Noel. Maybe I have to set a similar goal for myself. I've heard women on average live longer, so I might have just enough time :evilgrin: <laugh>

I reckon in 100 years or so years there won't be too much difference. My grandparents generation men all smoked cigars and went down the pub every week, and women didn't. Women's average age was something like 15 years longer.

In my parents's generation, it was more acceptable for women to drink and smoke. If you look, the average age is now about 6 years longer.

My generation can't walk around town on a Friday night without having to step over some short skirted bint who's collapsed in the gutter.... Makes you think. Okay, it doesn't. But it makes me think. Maybe my life would be more interesting if I actually knew any of these women that we were talking about.

Postby Noel

SnookerFan + JohnFromLondonTown + Sonny + Madz ...

Thank you all for your best wishes!

I love snooker first and foremost to play.
I love to watch snooker as well.
I love thinking about and discussing snooker with knowledgeable and pashunut people.
So I very much appreciate the welcome to Snooker Island too.

=o)

Noel