Post a reply

My son

Postby Pink Ball

Is 12. I have the day off work, and my wife is out, so I brought him to the snooker club. He beat me 4-1. Made a 78, his highest break yet. He doesn't even play that much. I think he has serious potential.

Today I told him I loved him for the first time.

Re: My son

Postby SnookerFan

Why isn't he entering amateur tournaments? He's 12. He should be playing competitively by now.

That's just weak parenting.

Postby Pink Ball

SnookerFan wrote:Why isn't he entering amateur tournaments? He's 12. He should be playing competitively by now.

That's just weak parenting.

He can't be fussed

In all seriousness, he's much more into hurling, and he's excellent at that too. But he's very small which will come against him.

He's a great kid and I'll leave him do whatever he likes. But if es this good at 12 with minimal practice, I don't see why he can't make it as a professional.

Postby eraserhead

Is he a Ronnie man or a Selbo fan?

Postby Iranu

Does he prefer tits or ass?

Postby Cloud Strife

Pink Ball wrote:
Iranu wrote:Does he prefer tits or ass?

And isn't this the real question?

Tits, just like his pop.

The apple doesn't fall far from the tree.

Postby SnookerFan

Iranu wrote:Does he prefer tits or ass?

Legs.

Postby MignonSnooker

Pink Ball wrote:Is 12. I have the day off work, and my wife is out, so I brought him to the snooker club. He beat me 4-1. Made a 78, his highest break yet. He doesn't even play that much. I think he has serious potential.

Today I told him I loved him for the first time.

78! More than impressing

IMHU, the way is: encourage > suggest & encourage > show the lad to a good pro & encourage > canalise & encourage
His must be what they call an "informed decision"

Congrats anyway.

:clap:

Postby mick745

Hope he realises what talent he has and starts taking the game seriously. Sounds like he has a talent most 12yolds would be envious of.

However is it seen as cool these days? Is he the sort that worries about street cred?

Postby Pink Ball

mick745 wrote:Hope he realises what talent he has and starts taking the game seriously. Sounds like he has a talent most 12yolds would be envious of.

However is it seen as cool these days? Is he the sort that worries about street cred?

Snooker is respected and watched by a lot of young fellas. If anything, some of the 'coolest' kids his age play it. He is very proud that he is by far the best of his age locally.

Postby KrazeeEyezKilla

When I was 12 potting five balls in a row was a miracle.

Postby acesinc

This is awesome Pink! YOUR job is to keep his head on straight. Make sure he gets a brain for things outside snooker. Only a handful can actually earn a decent living playing the game, let alone making good money. Even if he can't make it on the circuit, he may have other related talents such as coaching or whatever. Shoot for the sky but keep his feet on the ground and his nose in the books.

Best of luck to you and your son. Most of all, enjoy your time at the table with him. I often think that if I were stranded on a desert island and all I had were my kid, a snooker table, and maybe a couple coconuts, life would be good. Probably don't even need the coconuts.

Postby Pink Ball

It would have been demoralising against anyone else. My high break is 145, and while I haven't played to that level in a long time, I never for a second thought he'd beat me, certainly not so comfortably. Nearly every time he got in, he'd make 30 or 40, run out out of position, then glue me to the baulk cushion. I was impressed at his consistency, potting, and tactical game. His positioning is a little bit loose, but I'm going to get him doing line-ups just to get the right touch. It's not that bad, it just needs polishing. He'll probably make a ton in the next year or two.

In terms of books and such, that was never my strong point, but his mother will see to that. I'm reticent to put too much pressure on him, but I want to let him no, subtly, just how much potential he has.

Postby Cloud Strife

Pink Ball wrote:It would have been demoralising against anyone else. My high break is 145, and while I haven't played to that level in a long time, I never for a second thought he'd beat me, certainly not so comfortably. Nearly every time he got in, he'd make 30 or 40, run out out of position, then glue me to the baulk cushion. I was impressed at his consistency, potting, and tactical game. His positioning is a little bit loose, but I'm going to get him doing line-ups just to get the right touch. It's not that bad, it just needs polishing. He'll probably make a ton in the next year or two.

In terms of books and such, that was never my strong point, but his mother will see to that. I'm reticent to put too much pressure on him, but I want to let him no, subtly, just how much potential he has.

Don't let this opportunity pass, mate. It's now or never. He has a gift and it falls on you, his father, to make sure he doesn't waste it.

If you're not one of those pushy parent types that likes to put pressure on their kids, I suggest now might be a good time become one.

Get him practicing daily, minimum 14 hours with a 10 minute break for lunch. From now on no drink, drugs or girls. Also see you if can get him on a vegan diet although that might be going abit too far.

Postby acesinc

My kid beats me more often than not but that is with a generous handicap at this point. If he can learn to run the balls anywhere near like you are describing, I won't mind watching him whoop me all day long! Even though we are pretty bush league this side of the pond, I am rather proud that my boy may be one of, if not the ONLY natural-born American snooker player. It is all he knows. Never plays American pool. What is the point? When he went off to uni and there is an American pool table in the dorm, he said a bunch of kids have tables in their basements at home. Asked if he plays pool, of course he answered honestly, "No." Apparently, they won't play him anymore unless he gives them a ridiculous handicap. I just told him be careful and don't play for money; don't need any broken digits.

It looks like you have a lot of years to look forward to yet. 145? So why Pink Ball? That is impressive.
Last edited by acesinc on 30 Jan 2018, edited 1 time in total.

Postby Cloud Strife

In all seriousness, I think it's great that your son has shown such an aptitude for a sport at this early age. If his talent is nurtured correctly the future could be really exciting for him (and you).

I'd consider getting him signed up to a cast-iron contract with you as his manager. One of the clauses must be that you, as his father and manager, get 65% of his future prize money and endorsement deals. You could be the future Barry Hearn, if you play your cards right.

You say you were good player yourself, but obviously never made it to the pro ranks. Well, this now might be your chance to finally fulfill your dreams and ambitions vicariously through your son. Remember his life is now your life.

I'm really excited for you.

Postby Pink Ball

Hahaha, thanks Cloud. In all seriousness, you've touched on a few concerns of mine.

My eldest is a very good hurler -- perhaps even inter-county-standard in time but, because he has very short parents, he's only 5-7, which I think may come against him. But I've given him every encouragement.

I'm a small bit more reticent with this lad because I don't want to be that dad who's a sausage and lives through his son. We didn't even play hurling where I was from, so that was new territory for me. I always wanted to be a professional snooker player, but I simply wasn't good enough. If my fella makes a ton at 13 or 14, which seems likely now, I think he might not only be a professional in time, but a very, very good one. I never met anyone making breaks of that size at that age, and the only fellas I heard of that did it went on be top-class pros.

All that said, I think this is a great problem to have.

Postby TheSaviour

A 78 (!) That´s seriously really good. Hopefully he will keep on developing even further.

Postby SnookerFan

TheSaviour wrote:A 78 (!) That´s seriously really good. Hopefully he will keep on developing even further.

Even The Saviour approves.

Postby Holden Chinaski

Pink Ball wrote:My high break is 145.

:shock: :bowdown:

Postby KrazeeEyezKilla

I'd imagine Hurling being more appealing right now with Galway being All-Ireland champions.