Post a reply

Re: Highest break before a rerack??

Postby Chalk McHugh

Badsnookerplayer wrote:Hey Phil.

I have no idea, but I like a man who takes his time between posts

The Terry Griffiths of posters.

Postby kolompar

If it's a maximum break then you couldn't do that, as the frame already ended when you potted the black.
If it's a possible break of 154 and you don't pot the black then I don't know. Your opponent couldn't possibly win so the frame might be deemed to have ended, but I'm not sure. Anyone knows? Acesinc?

Postby Deewee

kolompar wrote:If it's a maximum break then you couldn't do that, as the frame already ended when you potted the black.
If it's a possible break of 154 and you don't pot the black then I don't know. Your opponent couldn't possibly win so the frame might be deemed to have ended, but I'm not sure. Anyone knows? Acesinc?

The frame ends when the pink is potted if the point difference is larger than seven.

Postby Tim Dunkley

Deewee wrote:
kolompar wrote:If it's a maximum break then you couldn't do that, as the frame already ended when you potted the black.

The frame ends when the pink is potted if the point difference is larger than seven.

Not strictly true, but I know what you mean. The player in front can claim the frame. Otherwise the frame doesn't end until the black is potted or fouled or the opponent concedes.

Technically, both players could tip tap the black until the referee deems no progress can be made and calls for a re-rack (a term that referees don't actually like).

Postby SnookerFan

Tim Dunkley wrote:
Deewee wrote:

Not strictly true, but I know what you mean. The player in front can claim the frame. Otherwise the frame doesn't end until the black is potted or fouled or the opponent concedes.

Technically, both players could tip tap the black until the referee deems no progress can be made and calls for a re-rack (a term that referees don't actually like).

Are you a new member?

:welcome:

Postby Andy Spark

Pink Ball wrote:
Philezra wrote:Does anybody know of a high break in a frame that was eventually reracked?

I'm not sure, but I seem to remember Willie Thorne being forced to accept a re-rack with a very substantial lead.

Yup. It happened in the World Championship. I can't remember the exact score but Willie was about 40 points ahead and Willie complained to the ref about being forced to resolve the matter, then John Virgo in commentary said " I agree with Willie". One thing I admire about John Virgo is he says it as he see's it. Steve Davis would probably have said something like, "One could possibly argue that there maybe a case for maybe considering not going quite as far as a re-rack..."

Postby Dan-cat

I had a re-rack the last time I played a few days ago. We were stuck, it wasn't a nice table and we were tip-tapping into the reds. It was only after I'd re-racked and broken off that I glanced at the scores and realised I lead 24 points to nil. Stupid really - I should have considered this and broken the stalemate. Tournament game as well. Took my eye off the ball(s) there!