Post a reply

Hearn Happy with Start To Season And Hints At World Cup

Postby Wildey

http://www.worldsnooker.com/PTC2_news(H ... or_Snooker)-2393.htm?tid=184

Following the first two Star Xing Pai Players Tour Championship events, Barry Hearn, Chairman of World Snooker, expressed his delight at the successful start to the 2010/11 World Snooker Season.

“We’ve had a great start so far! The support for the events from the players has been really strong and interest is growing. At each event we are seeing more and more of the top players competing," said Hearn. "We’re giving them more chances to play and win prize money, which is exactly what they want!”

The first Star Xing Pai PTC was contested by 150 players from around the world and saw Mark Williams taking the title by beating Stephen Maguire 4-0 in the final. The field at the second event increased to 164 players, with Mark Selby coming out on top by beating Barry Pinches 4-3.

“Work behind the scenes has been hectic but very positive," added Hearn. "We’ve got a lot of exciting concepts which we are considering both for this season and the next one. One event that we are really working hard toward is snooker’s World Cup. International team competitions ignite serious passion from fans and I want to tap into that. It works for football, rugby and cricket and I think the time has come for snooker to have its own World Cup!”

The Chairman was on hand at the first annual World Snooker Golf Day held at The Players Golf Club just outside Bristol. The event saw 72 participants taking part with teams made up of players from golf’s EuroPro Tour (organised by Matchroom), invited guests and several professional snooker players. Players taking part included former World Champions Peter Ebdon and Shaun Murphy and current World number 12 Ryan Day amongst others.

Re: Hearn Happy with Start To Season And Hints At World Cup

Postby Bourne

A World Cup would be fantastic for the sport, maybe they could intograte some sort of doubles format in that since there are so many top class English/Scots/Welsh players. Good to know Hearn is still extremely positive about things.

Postby Smart

Sonny wrote:You'd have to be blind not to notice the number of times a World Cup has been suggested on snooker forums.

China would have a decent team......... (Ding, Wenny, Zhanger, PenFei)

England
Ireland
Scotland
Wales
Northern Ireland
RotW (Australia, Hong Kong, Malta)

:wave:

Postby Alex0paul

StalinESQ wrote:
case_master wrote:England & Scotland could have two teams.

Would Hendo make the Scotland team and would anyone want to play with him..........

I'd say Campbell, McManus and Maguire.

Hendo not good enough, Higgo banned. :wave:

No Dott?

Postby Alex0paul

They could stage it like the Davis Cup with 4 singles matches and a doubles match to get the winners. It will also be good for some of the minor countries to develop their players giving them a chance to play against the bigger names in a main arena.

Postby Madz

StalinESQ wrote:I'd like to see a mainland Europe team..................... could they find 3 players worthy. :chin:

Haneveer and Brecel from Belgium, Einsle and ??? from Germany? that could work. or add Malta to mainland Europe as well, that is also an interesting option :)

Postby Smart

Madz wrote:
StalinESQ wrote:I'd like to see a mainland Europe team..................... could they find 3 players worthy. :chin:

Haneveer and Brecel from Belgium, Einsle and ??? from Germany? that could work. or add Malta to mainland Europe as well, that is also an interesting option :)

it has to be competitive surely...................... :chin:

Postby Madz

StalinESQ wrote:
Madz wrote:

it has to be competitive surely...................... :chin:

I don't think there could be that many teams from all the world that could be as competitive as English or Welsh etc pro teams... So that would be quite limited world cup, unless we don't take into account the fact that even in football world cup there are less competitive teams. There are only a few players in mainland Europe with experience as a pro, and even less amateurs that could compete with top pros... unfortunately.

Postby Smart

BREAKING NEWS - teams for World Cup of snooker (leak cannot be revealed for obvious reasons):

China

Ding
Penfei
Zhanger

Wales

MJW
Day
Dale

England

ROS
Carter
Cope