Post a reply

Dave H focus on ... Mark Williams

Postby Wildey

http://snookerscene.blogspot.com/2010/0 ... liams.html

One of the most welcome things to happen last season was the return to form of Mark Williams.

Having returned to the elite top 16 in 2009 he is now back in the top eight and has already won the campaign’s first PTC title.

Only a stellar Ronnie O’Sullivan performance could deny him a place in last season’s Wembley Masters final and it was another superb O’Sullivan display that cost him a place in the Crucible quarter-finals.

In between Williams reminded everyone just how good he can be by winning the China Open, his first ranking title since 2006.

The key to Mark’s success has always been his laid back attitude. He gives the impression that nothing much bothers him most of the time.

In his period in the doldrums he had various off table pressures that meant he was no longer happy-go-lucky.

There was also, perhaps subconsciously, the notion that after completing the grand slam of all four BBC tournaments and occupying the world no.1 position in 2003 he no longer had anything to achieve.

Williams won’t have enjoyed having to qualify during the 2008/09 season but in the long run it has done him good.

He also now has his own snooker club and seems to be back in the groove generally.

Time is against him. At 35 he is now considered to be on the back nine of his career but, as he proved last season, he is still capable of deadly performances.

His strength was always his single ball potting, forcing his way into frames. He can scrap it out and his temperament is rock solid. It makes for a highly effective game when it all comes together.

I spoke to Mark briefly at PTC 2 and he seems to be as enthusiastic as ever about his snooker. He was a big supporter of Barry Hearn prior to the EGM and is relishing the increased playing opportunities that are ahead of the players, not just this season but in the years to come.

Williams, at his best, was the sort of player you would pick to play a frame if your life depended on it.

Regardless of the problems he’s had in recent times, he is getting back to that sort of level and there’s no obvious reason why more silverware shouldn’t be heading his way this season.
Last edited by Wildey on 15 Jul 2010, edited 1 time in total.

Re: Dave H focus on ... Mark Williams

Postby Wildey

Bourne wrote:You've put up Selby's version ...

THANX <ok>

2 many bloody marks playing snooker lol

Postby Noel

Sonny wrote:Mark Williams = snooker god

Agreed.

I understand there is a Church of Maradona in Argentina and rumour has it the sacrements are coke and virgins.
What would be served in MJW's temple I wonder?

=o)

Noel
Last edited by Noel on 16 Jul 2010, edited 2 times in total.

Postby Tubberlad

Mark Williams is phenomenally good, and a smashing bloke to boot. His potting is a class apart, he's nearly as good as anyone I've seen overall. With the right drive, he would have been better than Higgins or O'Sullivan.

Postby Tubberlad

JohnFromLondonTown wrote:
thetubberlad wrote:and a smashing bloke to boot.

What did he do to you that made you think that?

His interviews, his laid back nature, joking around. You're getting very confrontational with me John <laugh>

Postby JohnFromLondonTown

thetubberlad wrote:His interviews, his laid back nature, joking around. You're getting very confrontational with me John <laugh>

I am yeah, well spotted. <laugh>

Postby Tubberlad

thetubberlad wrote:His interviews, his laid back nature, joking around. You're getting very confrontational with me John <laugh>

I am yeah, well spotted. <laugh>

rofl

Postby Tubberlad

thetubberlad wrote: rofl

Young bucko, I like ya', I do, but your not the finished article, yet.

Thanks John, but not claiming to be <ok>

Postby JohnFromLondonTown

thetubberlad wrote:
thetubberlad wrote: rofl

Young bucko, I like ya', I do, but your not the finished article, yet.

Thanks John, but not claiming to be <ok>

Fair enough, just looking, no harm meant. I'm sure you know yourself.

Hitting the hay meself. Nite.

Postby Alex0paul

The spell around 2002/03 where he was winning everything was probably the best snooker I have ever seen.

Postby Noel

Mark just seems to be himself.
That he happens to be one of the greatest players ever,
well, in some way that's a nuisance, but it's a fun job, at least he makes it so.
Ronnie has same vibe.
They both have no choice in following the extraordinary course their talents oblige them.
We're WAY luckier than them in that we can thrill and awe and marvel and they, well, just have to do it.

=o|

Noel

Postby SnookerFan

Mark Williams = Top player, but his laid back attitude cost him as much as it helped him, I find. I remember being at uni in 2002/2003, and did a lot of watching snooker. In those days we called it watching Mark Williams.

John = Getting in a mood, for some reason. You drunk again? <laugh>

Postby SnookerFan

I watched the Mark Williams vs Ding Junhui final at home. Top day though, I had a microwave curry. I didn't know who I wanted to win, as both men have struggled with form for the past few seasons, but on balance think I wanted Mark to win. Ding had been UK Champion this season, been in a few finals too, and Mark has struggled for form for longer then Ding.

I remember having a well happy Sunday afternoon. I hope we see both Ding and Mark Williams take more trophies soon. <ok>

Postby N_Castle07

Williams is just one of those players (like White) that everybody seems to love. I would bucking love Williams to match Higgins and Ronnie's three World Titles.

Postby Roland

If Williams is to win another World title then he must rely on someone else to KO Ronnie because it's pretty clear that Ronnie has his measure at the Crucible. Marks style of play seems to suit Ronnie and it makes him play at his best, which is obviously better than Mark when you're talking top form because Ronnie's top form is better than everyone in history. It's always a good match but Ronnie always wins 13-9, 13-10, 13-11.

Postby Wildey

Sonny wrote:If Williams is to win another World title then he must rely on someone else to KO Ronnie because it's pretty clear that Ronnie has his measure at the Crucible. Marks style of play seems to suit Ronnie and it makes him play at his best, which is obviously better than Mark when you're talking top form because Ronnie's top form is better than everyone in history. It's always a good match but Ronnie always wins 13-9, 13-10, 13-11.

mark is capable of winning against Ronnie but your right Mark is a no fuss player that gets on with it he plays in to Ronnies strengths thats why i don't like these criticism of Ebdon and Selby trying to mix it up to do what pro players are being payed to do WIN.

Postby SnookerFan

The other year when Ronnie played Mark Williams at The Crucible, they'd only played like three times in their whole career before that. They seem to have played more then that in the tournaments since. UK, Masters, World again.

Postby SnookerFan

SnookerFan wrote:I watched the Mark Williams vs Ding Junhui final at home. Top day though, I had a microwave curry. I didn't know who I wanted to win, as both men have struggled with form for the past few seasons, but on balance think I wanted Mark to win. Ding had been UK Champion this season, been in a few finals too, and Mark has struggled for form for longer then Ding.

I remember having a well happy Sunday afternoon. I hope we see both Ding and Mark Williams take more trophies soon. <ok>

Aaah. Memories.