Topic locked

Roll Call

Postby SnookerFan

So, tickets have been on sale for a while now, is anybody going? I considered going to The Grand Prix last year, as a birthday present, but decided Scotland was too far to go from London. I am going to try watching this new format to see if I like it before deciding on whether to bother for future years.

Anybody else?

Re: Roll Call

Postby Smart

SnookerFan wrote:So, tickets have been on sale for a while now, is anybody going? I considered going to The Grand Prix last year, as a birthday present, but decided Scotland was too far to go from London. I am going to try watching this new format to see if I like it before deciding on whether to bother for future years.

Anybody else?

S/fan - I have vowed NEVER to go to Glasgow, so this one will be viewed on TV. :wave: :ahh:

Postby SnookerFan

StalinESQ wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:So, tickets have been on sale for a while now, is anybody going? I considered going to The Grand Prix last year, as a birthday present, but decided Scotland was too far to go from London. I am going to try watching this new format to see if I like it before deciding on whether to bother for future years.

Anybody else?

S/fan - I have vowed NEVER to go to Glasgow, so this one will be viewed on TV. :wave: :ahh:

I did go to Glasgow a few years back for work, was only there for a few days. Why the problem? I spent a few good hours in the pub the day before the meeting. <ok>

Postby Smart

SnookerFan wrote:
I did go to Glasgow a few years back for work, was only there for a few days. Why the problem? I spent a few good hours in the pub the day before the meeting. <ok>

I believe there will be Scottish people there ........ <ok>

Also isn't Glasgow twinned with Rochdale........... very scummy (so I am led to believe). :redneck:

Postby SnookerFan

StalinESQ wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:

I believe there will be Scottish people there ........ <ok>

Also isn't Glasgow twinned with Rochdale........... very scummy (so I am led to believe). :redneck:

I've no idea...

But dang it, if I can go to Wales for snooker.... <laugh>

Postby Noel

SnookerFan wrote: I did go to Glasgow a few years back for work, was only there for a few days. Why the problem? I spent a few good hours in the pub the day before the meeting. <ok>

Been there. Done that too mate. It was a long way back to civilization...

=o\

Noel

Postby Madz

Anybody else?

I am sure it will be great fun - although I am a bit sceptical about final being best of 9... but looks that this year I will miss the event in Scotland - I have been going to Grand Prix for 4 consecutive, twice in Aberdeen and twice in Glasgow, and always had great time there. And funny about it being far from London when I am travelling to watch snooker all the way from Latvia <laugh>

Postby Witz78

Im going from the Wednesday through to the final and cant wait. Reckon the on off best of 5 frame format will make for non stop drama and tension.

Certainly ought to be far more exciting than the Grand Prix of the last few seasons, its been depressing going to that tournament believe me, if Hearn hadnt taken over and the event have been certain to be the same as last years on and off the table, then theres not a hope id have been troubling going.

No alcohol on sale last year, no cuezone and the cafe resembled an OAPs coffee morning with home-made baking among the stuff on sale, u couldnt make it up, No wonder snooker was dying. Plus no-one knew the event was on in Glasgow last year, not a soul other than the fans at the event.

Postby SnookerFan

Witz78 wrote:Im going from the Wednesday through to the final and cant wait. Reckon the on off best of 5 frame format will make for non stop drama and tension.

Certainly ought to be far more exciting than the Grand Prix of the last few seasons, its been depressing going to that tournament believe me, if Hearn hadnt taken over and the event have been certain to be the same as last years on and off the table, then theres not a hope id have been troubling going.

No alcohol on sale last year, no cuezone and the cafe resembled an OAPs coffee morning with home-made baking among the stuff on sale, u couldnt make it up, No wonder snooker was dying. Plus no-one knew the event was on in Glasgow last year, not a soul other than the fans at the event.

Really? Sounds a bit dreadful. I actually got talking to a BBC cameraman in the hotel bar at The Crucible, and he said the same thing about the lack of knowledge of where it was. He said nobody came, because it wasn't advertised, so no casual fans knew it was there. The same could be said of Telford. One guy in the hotel bar there (notice the theme) walked in and saw that the snooker was on the telly, and positioning himself to watch it, he asked me where it was being held. <doh>

The rest of the venue experience sounds a bit naff to be honest. One thing I do believe Hearn knows how to do is vamp these things up. At The Crucible, the big screen with highlights of the previous years helped. <ok>

Still not convinced with the World Open as a concept mind, I am waiting to see how it pans out. If it's particularly good, then I might go next year. However, the best of sevens roll on roll off doesn't suggest excitement. Somebody winning 4-0 in 55 minutes may be 'Fast Furious Snooker', but what's exciting about that?

I may be wrong though, I have the week off that week, so I plan to give it a try, get together with some mates and some beers, and watch a lot of on TV. Hopefully I am wrong, and I am breaking down the doors to see it next year.

Postby Tubberlad

Well Snookerfan, it's actually best-of-5's <laugh> so that certainly won't appeal to you. I don't like the shorter formats myself, but I think Hearn is aiming to replicate dart's UK Open, which is a huge success. The event needed revamping, the BBC weren't interested anymore, and as Witz as saying, the atmosphere sounds pretty dreadful too.

I like the idea, it's something completely new, will probably see no shortage of action. I'm a bit of a purist, but I'm willing to give this a chance and see if it can bring in new fans <ok>

Postby N_Castle07

I was thinking about going Glasgow isn’t too far to travel from Newcastle. I’ve been to Glasgow many many times and love it, I would love to move there if the right job opportunity came. Anyone know how much the tickets are going for?

Postby Witz78

N_Castle07 wrote:I was thinking about going Glasgow isn’t too far to travel from Newcastle. I’ve been to Glasgow many many times and love it, I would love to move there if the right job opportunity came. Anyone know how much the tickets are going for?

Yeh quite a handy event for you too <ok>

I lived in Glasgow for ten years when i was at Uni and work afterwards and loved it, still go up about once a month to play snooker with mates then hit the bright lights :excited:

Tickets are decent value, thru the week its 22quid for the 2 sessions, these being 1pm and 7pm with the one table set up roll on roll off best of 5s, should make for non stop drama <ok>

Postby SnookerFan

Noel wrote:
SnookerFan wrote: I did go to Glasgow a few years back for work, was only there for a few days. Why the problem? I spent a few good hours in the pub the day before the meeting. <ok>

Been there. Done that too mate. It was a long way back to civilization...

=o\

Noel

Yeah, Newport is a dump. And I live in Croydon, so I know a dump when I see one. Though, I thought the venue was a good laugh. You walk past a swimming pool to get to the matches. At one point, a load of blokes were cueing up to get in, and an attractive woman walked out in a bikini top, looking smug in the knowledge that a few dozen men's eyes followed her out. <laugh>

Postby Alex0paul

I'll be doing most of the qualifiers this year if they stage them in the Badminton Hall rather than the Academy. If they stage the World qualifiers in the Academy I will cry.

Postby Smart

Alex0paul WC wrote:I'll be doing most of the qualifiers this year if they stage them in the Badminton Hall rather than the Academy. If they stage the World qualifiers in the Academy I will cry.

are you studying in Sheffield, when is your start date................ <ok>

Postby SnookerFan

thetubberlad wrote:Well Snookerfan, it's actually best-of-5's <laugh> so that certainly won't appeal to you. I don't like the shorter formats myself, but I think Hearn is aiming to replicate dart's UK Open, which is a huge success. The event needed revamping, the BBC weren't interested anymore, and as Witz as saying, the atmosphere sounds pretty dreadful too.

I like the idea, it's something completely new, will probably see no shortage of action. I'm a bit of a purist, but I'm willing to give this a chance and see if it can bring in new fans <ok>

It's no so much the format that I dislike, it's more that it shouldn't be a ranking event. What with the short-arse matches and the amateurs in, you might as well make The World Series a ranking event. I watch that too, on Eurosport, but I don't take it seriously as an event, just a bit of fun. Which is what this would be, without being a ranker. If this was added as a non-ranker as an addition to the main season, with the Grand Prix still there, I'd be well happy. <ok>

But like you say the BBC decided they didn't want to know, so end of. Not a lot Barry Hearn can do. Maybe things will improve.

Postby Alex0paul

StalinESQ wrote:
Alex0paul WC wrote:I'll be doing most of the qualifiers this year if they stage them in the Badminton Hall rather than the Academy. If they stage the World qualifiers in the Academy I will cry.

are you studying in Sheffield, when is your start date................ <ok>

Leeds, starting September 27th.

Postby SnookerFan

I missed that comment the first time. Is it really best of fives? <doh>

Postby Madz

SnookerFan wrote:I missed that comment the first time. Is it really best of fives? <doh>

Yes, everything up to final is best of 5. The final is best of 9 <laugh>

But as for the venue, I think SECC is nicer (and bigger, but also noisier) than the Kelvin hall where snooker was last year, and there is room enough for Cuezone as well, if worldsnooker thinks it should be there.

Postby N_Castle07

Madz wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:I missed that comment the first time. Is it really best of fives? <doh>

But as for the venue, I think SECC is nicer (and bigger, but also noisier) than the Kelvin hall where snooker was last year, and there is room enough for Cuezone as well, if worldsnooker thinks it should be there.

Best of fives till the final. I really can't wait for this :excited: :excited: :excited: Lets all have a little faith in Hearn before before we slate him. Roll on the World Open.

Postby Casey

I might go not sure, I could mix in a Celtic game whilst I am there :ahh:

Postby SnookerFan

N_Castle07 wrote:
Madz wrote:

Best of fives till the final. I really can't wait for this :excited: :excited: :excited: Lets all have a little faith in Hearn before before we slate him. Roll on the World Open.

Completely out of interest, not for any other reason, what particularly speaks to you about a best of five match?

Postby Witz78

Madz wrote:

The actual arenas themselves where the snookers played are almost identical. Halls within a complex with the usual bog standard temporary stands of seats on 3 sides. Id far sooner see snooker played in proper auditoriums and theatres to be honest but these will be costlier. If not then at least they should try and do the stands so that they are continous around the 2 sides rather than the gaps.

Location wise the Kelvin Hall isnt quite as accessible by car, public transport as the SECC is but its location was handier for pubs etc in the West End.

On the plus side the SECC will have room for the Cuezone and there will be a bar / food set up outside the hall housing the snooker as well as numerous other bars within the SECC.

Hopefully the helicopter noise will be a thing of the past this year, if you think its bad on the TV inside the arena it was ridiculous, surprised the players didnt stop for a few minutes every time one appeared to take off or land.

Postby Madz

Witz78 wrote:
Madz wrote:

The actual arenas themselves where the snookers played are almost identical. Halls within a complex with the usual bog standard temporary stands of seats on 3 sides. Id far sooner see snooker played in proper auditoriums and theatres to be honest but these will be costlier. If not then at least they should try and do the stands so that they are continous around the 2 sides rather than the gaps.

Location wise the Kelvin Hall isnt quite as accessible by car, public transport as the SECC is but its location was handier for pubs etc in the West End.

On the plus side the SECC will have room for the Cuezone and there will be a bar / food set up outside the hall housing the snooker as well as numerous other bars within the SECC.

Hopefully the helicopter noise will be a thing of the past this year, if you think its bad on the TV inside the arena it was ridiculous, surprised the players didnt stop for a few minutes every time one appeared to take off or land.

oh yes, I was referring to helicopter noise inside SECC. I was there for the whole tournament that year ;) And enjoyed it a lot, even though I was there alone. Especially enjoyed watching Steve Davis getting to quarterfinals, a win against Robertson was good <ok>

Postby Witz78

Madz wrote:
Witz78 wrote:
Madz wrote:

oh yes, I was referring to helicopter noise inside SECC. I was there for the whole tournament that year ;) And enjoyed it a lot, even though I was there alone. Especially enjoyed watching Steve Davis getting to quarterfinals, a win against Robertson was good <ok>

Davis coulda easily beat Carter in the Quarters if hed had the belief. Think he was 4-1 down before losing 5-3 ?

Ronnie quarter was a joke to be honest, Ronnie just didnt look interested and gifted Judd a few frames, i did think at the time was this a significant moment in snooker history wed just witnessed like the game that saw the passing of the baton of power in the game to the next generation but alas, time will tell :john:

Postby Casey

You can now exchange club card points at Tesco for money off world open tickets (which are not selling well). I can’t say this is Barry’s best idea, a bit tacky :john:

Postby Smart

case_master wrote:You can now exchange club card points at Tesco for money off world open tickets (which are not selling well). I can’t say this is Barry’s best idea, a bit tacky :john:

I don't shop at Tescos and I dont travel to Scotland. :chin:

I hope that this helps. :wave:

Postby SnookerFan

StalinESQ wrote:
case_master wrote:You can now exchange club card points at Tesco for money off world open tickets (which are not selling well). I can’t say this is Barry’s best idea, a bit tacky :john:

I don't shop at Tescos and I dont travel to Scotland. :chin:

I hope that this helps. :wave:

Very helpful, thanks. <ok>