Post a reply

Significant matches in the career of players

Postby Roland

I was just thinking about the 2007 Masters final and how significant it was in terms of Ding Junhui. He was seriously on the rise, 3 ranking event wins as a teenager and at that moment he'd just become only the 2nd player to score a 147 at the Masters after Kirk Stevens in 1984. What happened since we all know about and he's still in recovery almost 3 years on.

Another key match for me was also in 2007 and featured Matthew Stevens and Shaun Murphy.

Stevens had suffered from the pressure only the Crucible can produce and he was in danger of becoming the next Jimmy White. Several world semi-final and final defeats had seen him become decidedly edgey during close matches. In the 2007 quarter-final he had the chance to avenge the 2005 final defeat to Murphy, and I have to be honest and say that in getting to a 12-7 advantage, Stevens played the best snooker I'd ever seen him play. I was seriously thinking he was the favourite for the title, he looked like a man on a mission.

Murphy stole the next frame to get to 12-8 and even though most were thinking it was still game over, as he went to the mid-session interval he gave off a sign to Stevens that he was far from finished. Clenched fist, punching the air, he demonstrated that he was still well up for it and in the following session Stevens played the most edge of the seat stuff trying desperately to get over the line. It was compelling if toturous viewing of the highest order. He fell apart missing chance after chance and then that was it. He's never been the same since.

What other career defining matches can you remember?

Re: Significant matches in the career of players

Postby Bourne

I think tonight's match for the Romford Slim could make or break his career, he won't get a better chance to make the quarters and then an out-of-touch Williams for a semi-spot. After such a morale-boosting win over Walden, this could be the making of him confidence-wise.

Postby Roland

The Romford Slim is Steve Davis pool nickname :santa:

I don't think it's a career defining moment for King. Maybe a close semi-final could well be but not a standard ranker quarter.

Postby Bourne

As expected, the Romford bottler couldn't take this golden opportunity. Just hope he drops out of the 16 this season and never comes back, such a hopeless player.