Post a reply

Ronnie to retire in 2025 at the age of 50?

Postby Erza Scarlet

Seems so if this tweet is anything to by:

Always thought he'd retire at that age too and it's very reasonable at the age of 50. Can't see him sticking around and doing a Jimmy White type of thing.

8 more chances for a few more World Champs? What do you guys think? ;-)

Not sure if tagging works...

@Andre147
@Johnny Bravo
@Dan-cat
@Holden Chinaski
@Cloud Strife
@Snooker Overdrive
@TheRocket

Re: Ronnie to retire in 2025 at the age of 50?

Postby vodkadiet

He will play on until he wins 8 World Championships. Anything less than that and he would not have achieved would he feels he should have. If he wins the next 3 World Championships he may retire there and then.

Postby Pink Ball

vodkadiet wrote:He will play on until he wins 8 World Championships. Anything less than that and he would not have achieved would he feels he should have. If he wins the next 3 World Championships he may retire there and then.

Highly doubt it. But I think he will overtake Hendry's ranking record and will win at least one more World Championship.

Postby vodkadiet

Pink Ball wrote:
vodkadiet wrote:He will play on until he wins 8 World Championships. Anything less than that and he would not have achieved would he feels he should have. If he wins the next 3 World Championships he may retire there and then.

Highly doubt it. But I think he will overtake Hendry's ranking record and will win at least one more World Championship.

He will play on until he wins 8 word titles. He will try until he is at least 60!

Postby Andre147

Pink Ball wrote:

Exactly what I think.

Postby Johnny Bravo

If he wins another world title, I will be the happiest man on Earth. He has a very good chance the way he's playing atm.

If he achieves a WC in his 40's, he'll definitely carry on playing for a couple more years thinking he can equal Hendry' 7.

I doubt he'll ever reach 8, he missed that chance when he missed that black when he was leading Selbo 10-5 in 2014.

Postby SnookerFan

Erza Scarlet wrote:Goddamn Selby! :grrr:

Why is it so hard to contain him in the 3rd session? Ronnie/Higgins finals vs Selby were so similar, big leads on the first day then the second day during the 3rd session... they just get frozen out!

Merry Christmas. :hatoff:

Postby TheRocket

50 sounds like a good age. Let's see how well he'll be still playing at that age if he decides to do it.

But I've always been a fan of players retiring while they are still at the top of their game or at least close to be at the top. No point in doing a Davis or White and spending years losing to journeymen. Always hard and not nice to see a legend getting to that stage of his career when he isn't even 60 or 70% of the player he once was.

My ideal scenario would be if Ronnie O'Sullivan won another World title and then retired after that.

Postby Johnny Bravo

TheRocket wrote:50 sounds like a good age. Let's see how well he'll be still playing at that age if he decides to do it.

But I've always been a fan of players retiring while they are still at the top of their game or at least close to be at the top. No point in doing a Davis or White and spending years losing to journeymen. Always hard and not nice to see a legend getting to that stage of his career when he isn't even 60 or 70% of the player he once was.

My ideal scenario would be if Ronnie O'Sullivan won another World title and then retired after that.

He'd never retire if he manages to win another WC.
He'll be thinking he can equal or even beat Hendry's record.
Ronnie will retire when he's no longer able to compete with the top players.

Postby Dan-cat

Every time I think his results have gone too bad, his form slipping, he comes back and plays his A game and wins back to back tournaments. So even if he has a dodgy couple of seasons he may come back. Again and again. Who knows how long that will continue?

Postby TheSaviour

Well it will be Anthony McGill who is the favourite now the win the Masters 2018 and the Worlds 2018.

With a possibility of some high quality tartan tussles.

Oh boy. rofl rofl rofl rofl

At least we should know what we will be receiving. What are the usual, the national charastetics and the suchs?? Now that´s just downright letting the people down in terms of the quality.

If it will be just the Radio-Ronnie or the commentator-Ronnie then he should just tell it straight away. He will not be winning the things like that anymore, so he should just tell what is going to do. The media-Ronnie could be much more usefull anyway. So that´s not letting the people down. But if he´s never going to tell what is up to that is letting the people down. In terms of many things.

But the tenacity is always a good thing. That never lets ANYONE down. The people are looking at you and they wan´t to see the effort. Not immediately just giving up when the going gets tough. BUT anyone can and should pick up their own battles. If just always saying he should do that or to do that then that´s the same as saying there´s no reality. I still can´t say if someones are just choosing the SILENZIO or just deciding to be slightly deluded. It is easy to state things when the weather is great. I at least would or will always prefer the silenzio. Instead of looking some troubles. But I am getting there. To be able to tell and to read it better.

Ronnie can say what he is going to do or then he won´t be saying a thing. Either way it is up to the fans trying to figure it out. But he shouldn´t purposely letting his fans down.

Postby SnookerFan

Dan-cat wrote:Every time I think his results have gone too bad, his form slipping, he comes back and plays his A game and wins back to back tournaments. So even if he has a dodgy couple of seasons he may come back. Again and again. Who knows how long that will continue?

At last somebody talks some bloody sense. rofl

I've been saying for years that he's not finished, even if he does show longer blips in form now, or occasionally loses to Michael Holt.

During The Masters last year, some were fretting that it was the end of his career, despite the fact that he won it. <laugh>

Postby SnookerFan

TheSaviour wrote:Well it will be Anthony McGill who is the favourite now the win the Masters 2018 and the Worlds 2018.

Because of what?

Ronnie made a cryptic tweet, that could be taken to mean he'll retire at 50. Now McGill is favourite for The Masters?

Postby Dan-cat

SnookerFan wrote:
Dan-cat wrote:Every time I think his results have gone too bad, his form slipping, he comes back and plays his A game and wins back to back tournaments. So even if he has a dodgy couple of seasons he may come back. Again and again. Who knows how long that will continue?

I've been saying for years that he's not finished, even if he does show longer blips in form now, or occasionally loses to Michael Holt.

During The Masters last year, some were fretting that it was the end of his career, despite the fact that he won it. <laugh>

He should have gone out to Wenbo-bo-bo during the last Masters tournament. Wenbo had a straightforward black to finish him. I can't imagine the drivel-talk if he hadn't won that, it would have meant he hadn't won anything for ages until this season's flurry of titles...

Postby SnookerFan

Dan-cat wrote:He should have gone out to Wenbo-bo-bo during the last Masters tournament. Wenbo had a straightforward black to finish him. I can't imagine the drivel-talk if he hadn't won that, it would have meant he hadn't won anything for ages until this season's flurry of titles...

DECLINE!

AMATEUR!

WORST PLAYER WHO EVER LIVED!

Postby Dan-cat

SnookerFan wrote:
Dan-cat wrote:He should have gone out to Wenbo-bo-bo during the last Masters tournament. Wenbo had a straightforward black to finish him. I can't imagine the drivel-talk if he hadn't won that, it would have meant he hadn't won anything for ages until this season's flurry of titles...

DECLINE!

AMATEUR!

WORST PLAYER WHO EVER LIVED!

Thank you. You helped me imagine it!

Postby SnookerFan

TheSaviour wrote:Well it will be Anthony McGill who is the favourite now the win the Masters 2018 and the Worlds 2018.

At least we should know what we will be receiving. What are the usual, the national charastetics and the suchs?? Now that´s just downright letting the people down in terms of the quality.

If it will be just the Radio-Ronnie or the commentator-Ronnie then he should just tell it straight away. He will not be winning the things like that anymore, so he should just tell what is going to do. The media-Ronnie could be much more usefull anyway. So that´s not letting the people down. But if he´s never going to tell what is up to that is letting the people down. In terms of many things.

But the tenacity is always a good thing. That never lets ANYONE down. The people are looking at you and they wan´t to see the effort. Not immediately just giving up when the going gets tough. BUT anyone can and should pick up their own battles. If just always saying he should do that or to do that then that´s the same as saying there´s no reality. I still can´t say if someones are just choosing the SILENZIO or just deciding to be slightly deluded. It is easy to state things when the weather is great. I at least would or will always prefer the silenzio. Instead of looking some troubles. But I am getting there. To be able to tell and to read it better.

Ronnie can say what he is going to do or then he won´t be saying a thing. Either way it is up to the fans trying to figure it out. But he shouldn´t purposely letting his fans down.

:spam:

Postby Iranu

Dan-cat wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:

He should have gone out to Wenbo-bo-bo during the last Masters tournament. Wenbo had a straightforward black to finish him. I can't imagine the drivel-talk if he hadn't won that, it would have meant he hadn't won anything for ages until this season's flurry of titles...

... Which he probably wouldn't have won if he hadn't won the Masters! Butterfly effect and all that jazz.