Post a reply

Re: Neil Robertson Appreciation Thread

Postby Badsnookerplayer

TheRocket wrote:Everyone was saying he's not the same player anymore and the guy has just won his 2nd title of the season. Only Ronnie O'Sullivan has won more.

Nice post Rocket - it can only be a good thing to see Ronnie pitting his wits against a resurgent Robertson.

Postby vodkadiet

Ladies and gentleman I present to you the 2018 Betfred World Snooker Champion, 'The Thunder from Down Under!'

Postby Cloud Strife

vodkadiet wrote:Ladies and gentleman I present to you the 2018 Betfred World Snooker Champion, 'The Thunder from Down Under!'

Les Patterson is getting nowhere near the world title ever again.

Postby TheSaviour

It is a small marginals out there. Robertson is the best, closely followed be Mark Selby and Mark Williams. If thinking about what usually decides the big matches and how good a single player just is when considering all the possible aspects. Which is not leaving any red on if going for a risky opening pot, or trying to get the cue ball back to safe during the safety-exchanges. Neil´s the most rampant break-builder as he gets in. Where there is a prove for example of that over 100 centuries during a one season. Which is a standing record.

So those are the reasons I made a bold prediction and a statement that Neil is a clear favourite to win this tournament before the semis, even when the bookies made John a favourite to beat Neil.

Going for a risky long red knowing leaving the cue ball among the reds is just plainly stupid. Yet they do that, probably because of over-confidence. Or thinking and predicting that he or she (I) can withstand the venue, the television, the prize-money etc pressures. While that´s obviously not the case.

I can´t see Neil doing that much any. Every player out there can punish. Neil´s certainly the most rampant break-builder. Which also is a great weapon to him. But they should just stop going for too risky opening reds. For once and for all.

Postby SnookerFan

TheRocket wrote:Everyone was saying he's not the same player anymore and the guy has just won his 2nd title of the season. Only Ronnie O'Sullivan has won more.

Didn't see the match.

Did he struggle early on, or did Cao just outplay him?

Robbo is a top player, who I always thought should've won more.

Postby gallantrabbit

Robbo has been out of sorts at times over the last few yrs. Clearly this has been to do with his wife and the game addictions. Sheffield with all the top boys prepared and willing to scrap for every ball will be a sight to behold. That list of players includes Robbo, who really is a class act. Hope his dedicated spell lasts all the top players perform come April.

Postby gallantrabbit

Why is everyone griping about Robbo not being at the masters? He won an invitational in HK and the Scottish after the cut off...maybe it's a shame but the rest of his season hasn't been great. He's not griping...

Postby SnookerFan

gallantrabbit wrote:Why is everyone griping about Robbo not being at the masters? He won an invitational in HK and the Scottish after the cut off...maybe it's a shame but the rest of his season hasn't been great. He's not griping...

Because he's a decent player, I guess. And it's a shame that his form hasn't been great.

But there's no complaint, because The Masters is based on form. Not reputation.

I'm sure there's more people that would prefer to see Ding vs Neil Robertson, than Ding vs Ryan Day. But at the end of the day, you earn your place there and Robertson didn't.

Postby KrazeeEyezKilla

SnookerFan wrote:
I'm sure there's more people that would prefer to see Ding vs Neil Robertson, than Ding vs Ryan Day. But at the end of the day, you earn your place there and Robertson didn't.

Liang Wenbo is the one that would have missed out if the cut-off point had been last Sunday. Considering how he missed out in 2010 I wouldn't begrudge him his place.

Postby SnookerFan

KrazeeEyezKilla wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:

Liang Wenbo is the one that would have missed out if the cut-off point had been last Sunday. Considering how he missed out in 2010 I wouldn't begrudge him his place.

Really?

Is Ryan Day ranked 15th then?

Bloody hell.....

Postby SnookerFan

Dan-cat wrote:I thought his speech was after his victory on Sunday was ace. Really self-aware. He called himself on the fist-pump to go 1-1 and said he had apologised to Cao. A good guy with serious snooker skills.

That did sound like a really dumb thing to do. But good of him to say so.

Always quite liked Robbo, fist pumping aside.

Postby Dan-cat

He said something along the lines of 'I got into fist-pumping in my early days playing English players as I always felt it was the Aussies vs poms'

Apparently Australians called the English Poms because it's short for Pomegranate. So that's cleared that up.

Postby SnookerFan

Dan-cat wrote:He said something along the lines of 'I got into fist-pumping in my early days playing English players as I always felt it was the Aussies vs poms'

Why would he feel that?

This is an individual sport, not a sport where you represent your country.

The nationality of the person you are playing doesn't really come into it.

Postby SnookerFan

Dan-cat wrote:I guess there is a traditional sporting rivalry between the two countries. Well, in cricket anyway...

And Rugby. But they're team games, where you represent your country.

Maybe being one of the few Australians on tour which, at the time, was dominated by Brits he felt that way. I personally never wanted him to lose because he was Australian. Nationality doesn't really come into it when it comes to whether I like a player or not.

But, whilst we're on the subject, did Neil Robertson ever play Quinten Hann. (In professional competition.)