Post a reply

Dave H focus on ... Mark Selby

Postby Monique

http://snookerscene.blogspot.com/2010/0 ... selby.html
FOCUS ON...MARK SELBY
Mark Selby won one of the matches of last season when he once again demonstrated his ability to deal with pressure in high stakes situations.

Selby’s recovery from 9-6 down to beat Ronnie O’Sullivan 10-9 and land a second Wembley Masters title was proof of his big match temperament.

A second comeback against O’Sullivan in the Crucible quarter-finals a couple of months later further enhanced this reputation.

Selby’s problem isn’t the big occasions. Quite the opposite, in fact: he seems to struggle in earlier rounds, which helps to explain why, for a second successive season, he went down the rankings.

Two years ago the Leicester man was the world no.4. He slipped to seventh and is now ninth.

The new rankings system affords him the chance to rise up quicker than before but if he endures the same start to the current campaign as he did to the one just gone he’ll continue his slide.

Then again, here are the six players he lost to in ranking events last season: Stuart Bingham, Ken Doherty, O’Sullivan, John Higgins, Ding Junhui and Graeme Dott. No shame in any of those defeats.

Also, he suffered from the Bahrain Championship fiasco of 2008 but – and isn’t it funny how things turn out? – he will end up benefiting from it because when the points come to be dropped later in the year he won’t have any to lose.

But why is it he still only has one ranking title to his name? Well, the obvious reason is that there have been so few of late and the standard is such that winning one is an achievement in itself.

Even so, there is currently a gap between his reputation with his fellow players – they regard him as one of the very best of the current era – and his record of achievement in ranking events.

I’m certain this will change and it will probably change this season. I believe Selby is a good enough player to be world champion.

Furthermore, I don’t believe he merits the criticism he sometimes gets for being slow. He isn’t slow. If you think he is, dig out a video of some of snooker’s proper grinders from years gone by.

He was perfectly comfortable with the 25 second per shot time limit in the Premier League two years ago, where he reached the final, and was unlucky not to be invited back last season. He’s in it this year and must be a big favourite to reach the play-offs because, again, the tournament has a big match feel to it due to the crowds and general atmosphere.

Selby may have employed a tactical game to his benefit at times. So what? Why shouldn’t he? It’s a perfectly acceptable game plan to play to your own strengths rather than those of your opponent.

The point is, he can switch between attack and defence with deadly effect in a similar vein to Higgins.

His break-building skills are evident for all to see. He has twice compiled five centuries in a match at the Crucible. The only others players to do this more than once are Stephen Hendry, Higgins and O’Sullivan.

In winning the PTC event yesterday he made a total of eight century breaks.

Off table, Mark is a normal, down to earth guy without pretensions. As far as I’m aware he is obliging with fans when it comes to autographs and pictures.

He makes an effort to promote himself and is - unbelievably - the only top player who regularly writes a blog for his official website (although O'Sullivan has started one in Chinese for Sohu.com).

Like most players, Selby just wants to play and, despite all the ‘Jester from Leicester’ stuff, wants to win.

I’d be amazed if he wasn’t winning major silverware this season.
Posted by Dave H at 10:00 AM

Re: Dave H focus on ... Mark Selby

Postby SnookerFan

As far as I’m aware he is obliging with fans when it comes to autographs and pictures. Confirmed... I have met Selby, got his autograph and had my photo taken with him. He comes accross as a laid-back, top guy.

I must say, I've been enjoying these little ditties from Dave H. Don't feel he always adds much to Eurosport, but feel these have been entertaining reads, and he seems spot on in his assessments of the players. <ok>

Postby Wildey

His Assesment of Selby is spot on.

nobody Ronnie included got used to the shot clock quicker than Mark it was like duck to water for him.

anyone who thinks he is slow takes in to account his high profile matches with Ronnie but if truth be told Ronnie makes far to much fuss about it than need to.....just get on play your own game and let mark play his way.

but i love the tension between them and the Selby v Ronnie rivalry is the no 1 rivalry in snooker today.

Postby Monique

@Wild... Ronnie never complained about Selby playing slowly. He stated he doesn't like his mind games and selective negativity. Well IMO, Selby has all rights to use those tactics until the ref thinks he crosses the line but his opponents have equal rights to say they don't like it. Now what made me smile in this WC was Hendry fans (I won' name names) complaining about Selby's attitude and mind games towards Hendry ... ;)
And before anyone tourists me off I want to state (or remind those who were around at the time) that the very first time I said I don't like it was in the quarters in the WC 2007 and it was Ali Carter at the receiving end. So nothing whatsoever to do with Ronnie. In that match Ali was ahead and Selby - who isn't slow naturally - started to slow down, take nearly a minute over EVERY shot as straightforward as it was. Selby, you must credit him for that, has a very good stamina, it was Ali who cracked under tiredness. Some might like it. I loathed it. This is NOT snooker in my eyes. I know it was legit insofar the ref didn't rule against it but that will not change my opinion. And it annoys me big time because I do think Selby is more than good enough to win without resorting to such tactics and I otherwise like his creativity.

Postby Wildey

that what i mean taking to much notice of marks game that is none of his business or anyone else's business.

regarding Hendry game at the WC i complained about his game and quite frankly any player that lets another player get to him is pathetic in my book. the table is there if you don't want mind games keep him on his ass sat down its that simple mon.

Ray Reardon would run rings round selby regarding mind games its nothing new its part of the snooker player make up and always has been some don't like it some like it i happen to love it.

Postby Casey

Selby/Ronnie is easily the biggest rivalry in the game today. Hopefully they meet in a few majors this season <ok>

Postby SnookerFan

I still prefer Higgins vs O'Sullivan, personally. I don't really like it when tension creeps in... Play the game, stop being sweeties to each other. This aint a soap opera. But that's probably just my take.

I remember when Selby beat Ronnie in the Welsh Open final, and I was surprised when I heard of Mark Selby's negative play after the match. In all honesty, I don't remember if the match was slow or not, but I remember that Selby's single ball potting was immense. Some of the shots he was pulling off, especially when he was one away from defeat, were immense. He'd be rammed right into the cushion, no position whatsoever, and pull off the pot. Time, and time, and time again. And people said he was negative.... :chin:

But there's no doubt about it, there have been times when Selby has slowed right down. His match with Ken Doherty at The Grand Prix was slower then snail rubbish... (And I'd chosen to have that match to have friends round for.) Also his match with Jamie Cope at the UK this year, up until the last few frames, was a complete yawn-fest.... I left before the end of the match to watch Hendry vs Davis. There's no doubt in my mind that Selby has been in a few stinkers, but I also found he's been in a few classics. A lot of which have been against Ronnie, which proves why people consider it a great rivalry. Despite the perpetual handbags at dawn attitude.

Postby Noel

case_master wrote:SelbyNeil/Ronnie is easily the biggest rivalry in the game today. Hopefully they meet in a few majors this season <ok>

"Battle of the Kings" prospects give Hearn a noticable bulge in his wallet.

=o)

Noel

Postby Wildey

i find Higgins v Ronnie a boring rivelery yes great match but a true Rivelery has to have tension in it..

Thorburn v A Higgins
Davis v Higgins
Hendry v Ronnie

even
Hendry v Williams
and
Hendry v White had more tension than Ronnie v Higgins its to nicey nicey matey for my liking to be classed as a great pairing

Postby Tubberlad

case_master wrote:Selby/Ronnie is easily the biggest rivalry in the game today. Hopefully they meet in a few majors this season <ok>

Agree wholeheartedly <ok> I like a bit of niggle in a true rivalry (ala Prost/Senna, bit before my time but you get the idea). Selby-Ronnie always has a bit of spice, and I love watching the games reguardless of who wins.

Postby SnookerFan

I think it's just where we differ, wild. In fact, I think I differ in this way to a lot of other people. I don't really like seeing people not get on with each other, and I kind of think if I want to watch snooker, I want to see a great snooker match.

I appreciate Ronnie and Selby aren't exactly at each other's throats, or doing WWF style; "I'm gonna break you, boy" interviews, but when I see such things as Ronnie leaving at the Masters rather then congratulate Selby, it annoys me. (And that's not an anti-Ronnie comment, I think Selby can be a bit aloof to Ronnie knowing it'll get on his nerves.) It just doesn't do anything for me, if I wanted to see people try and wind each other up and have petty arguments, I'd watch Big Brother. For me, the snooker comes first, and bickering between player's should come nowhere. That however, is just my personal preferences. Not what I think everybody should feel.

Postby Monique

I agree with you snookerfan and I don't like to watch deep mental suffering neither. I don't like to watch suffering, full stop BTW. I want to see good snooker, that's all.

Postby Wildey

I LOVE IT

thats one of the reason im such a fan you dont get that in other sports its like a soap opera of emotions you go through during a match and each match is never the same ...

God Players are Lucky im not a player if they cant handle what Selby and Ebdon does lol

Postby paperbackwriter

I agree with Wild about tension, the fight of nerves and emotions- often almost tangible in this sport- is one of the things that draw me to snooker and I love it in Ronnie vs Selby matches (it would be impossible and unnatural for all the players to get on perfectly with each other, so that doesn't bother me- would be worrying if they showed mutual disrespect continually, but that's not the case).
Still, Selby annoys me sometimes when it comes to this, because he's so obvious- the attractive way of testing opponent's mental resistance should be a bit subtler. (And I wish he would stop joking, but that's not so important of course).

Postby Rocket_ron

StalinESQ wrote:
wildJONESEYE wrote:
but i love the tension between them and the Selby v Ronnie rivalry is the no 1 rivalry in snooker today.

spot on <ok>

i hate it

Postby Smart

wildJONESEYE wrote:that what i mean taking to much notice of marks game that is none of his business or anyone else's business.

regarding Hendry game at the WC i complained about his game and quite frankly any player that lets another player get to him is pathetic in my book. the table is there if you don't want mind games keep him on his ass sat down its that simple mon.

Ray Reardon would run rings round selby regarding mind games its nothing new its part of the snooker player make up and always has been some don't like it some like it i happen to love it.

I think some (Hendo fans) did not like the way Selby took an eternity over the black when he "stole" a frame from 70-odd behind....... it was blatant rubbing someones nose in it. Hendo was smiling but it was unfriendly behaviour - no question about it.

If it happened like that in some snooker clubs - there may be fisty cuffs. <ok>

Postby Smart

paperbackwriter wrote: (And I wish he would stop joking, but that's not so important of course).

its cringeworthy for sure, exhibit A:

Mark Selby vs Graeme Dott (R2 of World Championship 2009) - the ref was Alan Chamberlain and there was far too much jokey rubbish when in fact this was a very serious match....... it was cringeworthy of the highest order. Way too pally and I would of complained if I was Dotty. <ok>

Postby SnookerFan

StalinESQ wrote:
paperbackwriter wrote: (And I wish he would stop joking, but that's not so important of course).

its cringeworthy for sure, exhibit A:

Mark Selby vs Graeme Dott (R2 of World Championship 2009) - the ref was Alan Chamberlain and there was far too much jokey rubbish when in fact this was a very serious match....... it was cringeworthy of
the highest order. Way too pally and I would of complained if I was Dotty. <ok>

Yeah, there's too many characters in the game these days. <doh>

Postby Noel

[quote="StalinESQ]Hendo was smiling but it was unfriendly behaviour - no question about it.
If it happened like that in some snooker clubs - there may be fisty cuffs. <ok>[/quote]

No doubt. But these are the Pros.

[ call Mazher Mahmood 0207 782 4426 he'll sort it ]

N <ok> EL

Postby Wildey

Sometimes it is cringworthy the over enphesis of being the Jester just let it come naturally and not be contrived.

Postby Smart

Noel wrote:[quote="StalinESQ]Hendo was smiling but it was unfriendly behaviour - no question about it.
If it happened like that in some snooker clubs - there may be fisty cuffs. <ok>[/quote]

No doubt. But these are the Pros.

[ call Mazher Mahmood 0207 782 4426 he'll sort it ]

N <ok> EL[/quote]

<laugh> rofl

Postby Casey

StalinESQ wrote:
wildJONESEYE wrote:that what i mean taking to much notice of marks game that is none of his business or anyone else's business.

I think some (Hendo fans) did not like the way Selby took an eternity over the black when he "stole" a frame from 70-odd behind....... it was blatant rubbing someones nose in it. Hendo was smiling but it was unfriendly behaviour - no question about it.

If it happened like that in some snooker clubs - there may be fisty cuffs. <ok>

<laugh>

Could you imagine Hendo rolling up the sleeves and having a go :jugs:

Postby Casey

StalinESQ wrote:Selby might of screwed his face up.......................... wait a minute <laugh> rofl

<laugh> Hendry would have hit him with his wallet, big enough to knock Rocky out :redneck:

Postby Smart

case_master wrote:
StalinESQ wrote:Selby might of screwed his face up.......................... wait a minute <laugh> rofl

<laugh> Hendry would have hit him with his wallet, big enough to knock Rocky out :redneck:

Yep - Hendos wallet would be a lethal weapon no doubt........ whereas Selby does not carry cash or cheques, ask his previous manager. <laugh> <laugh> <laugh>

Postby Casey

StalinESQ wrote:
case_master wrote:

Yep - Hendos wallet would be a lethal weapon no doubt........ whereas Selby does not carry cash or cheques, ask his previous manager. <laugh> <laugh> <laugh>

:stir: :stir:

I have a feeling he will win another major this season so the manager must be near paid off by now :chin: