Post a reply

Jimmy White shining on legends tour

Postby Sickpotter

I spoke with Cliff the other day and he told me that Jimmy narrowly missed out on back to back 147's while doing the legends tour.

Frame against Cliff he notched a max and then missed the pink next frame for a second....what a scary talent he is :mosh2:

God I wish he could bring that form to ranking matches <doh>

Re: Jimmy White shining on legends tour

Postby Wildey

sickpotter wrote:I spoke with Cliff the other day and he told me that Jimmy narrowly missed out on back to back 147's while doing the legends tour.

Frame against Cliff he notched a max and then missed the pink next frame for a second....what a scary talent he is :mosh2:

ive got a new name for it "trumpfactor" :redneck:

Postby SnookerFan

sickpotter wrote:I spoke with Cliff the other day and he told me that Jimmy narrowly missed out on back to back 147's while doing the legends tour.

I was there live.... Thanks for posting news I posted weeks and weeks ago. <laugh>

I put up an account of my night, if anybody is interested; viewtopic.php?f=25&t=950

Postby gallantrabbit

Heyhey, you know what I think Jimmy is having a ball. Not just on the Legends tour but in general. Everyone loves having the man around and in a less formal atmosphere he is showing that he can still really play the game. I think he's just enjoying playing the game again and will take any number of opportunities to do so. In the reality of the rankers he may well still struggle, but hopefully not so much that he drops out of the elite. Enjoying life Jimmy.

Postby SnookerFan

gallantrabbit wrote:Heyhey, you know what I think Jimmy is having a ball. Not just on the Legends tour but in general. Everyone loves having the man around and in a less formal atmosphere he is showing that he can still really play the game. I think he's just enjoying playing the game again and will take any number of opportunities to do so. In the reality of the rankers he may well still struggle, but hopefully not so much that he drops out of the elite. Enjoying life Jimmy.

When Jimmy qualified for the Welsh Open and was playing Ali Carter, I was there, and the bastard tried to steal my tickets. <laugh> I went to get his autograph, but forgot that I was keeping the tickets in the front of my autograph book and they dropped on the floor. Being the gentleman he is, Jimmy bent over and picked them up. But thought the woman next to me had dropped them, and tried handing them to her.... She didn't want them, and I was like; "They're mine Jimmy." He looked reluctant, but handed them over....

I was like; "You don't need tickets for your own match, Jimmy." <laugh>

Postby Roland

Cliff was certainly being very complimentary about Jimmy White in the interview. He's clearly a big fan. I'll be going to the Legends on Friday and I'm really looking forward to it.

Postby Wildey

Sonny wrote:Cliff was certainly being very complimentary about Jimmy White in the interview. He's clearly a big fan. I'll be going to the Legends on Friday and I'm really looking forward to it.

how much do tickets for the legends cost ?

Postby gallantrabbit

Wow Sonny you're going to see the legends!?? Thought you were anti oldies ;)
I think Jimmy is probably keeping the standard up. Not sure how the likes of Cliff and Dennis are playing these days but I'm sure you'll have a blast. Occasionally they have invited special guests too. Is Higgins still taking part?

Postby Roland

Not as far as I know but yes, when you see the interview with Cliff you'll see his thoughts on it and it seems like he's having the time of his life and playing pretty well too.

Postby SnookerFan

The Legends tour is highly recommended, you'll have a cracker Sonny. The standard of the banter is high, but also, hopefully, you'll get to see Wee Jimmy in form as well.

The merchandise is a bit of a rip-off, and I'm jealous if you get to see Michaela. But other then that, I hope you enjoy it. :D

Postby Roland

Yes I met Michaela and boy, in the flesh... :love:

:redneck:

I would recommend everyone go and see the Snooker Legends if it plays within an hours drive of where you live. It was a very entertaining evening. It kicked off with Virgo doing some of his trickshots a la Big Break (along with some Jim Davison jokes - How do you get 3 grannies to shout bullocks? Say "Bingo"), and then we had 2 frames of John Parrott against Dennis Taylor followed by 2 frames of Cliff Thorburn v Jimmy White. After that there was an interval, then the two losing players played a frame of doubles with members from the audience (although one place went to the event organiser) followed by a single frame shootout final between Jimmy and Dennis which Jimmy won.

As it was the last event of the tour there were a bunch of presentations, which to be honest with you wasn't the sort of thing I could be fussed with as it went on for too long and was a bit self congratulatory and probably explained why the final was one frame, but it's all good really.

The banter was good, Dennis Taylor for all his failings as a rambling commentator comes across as a very likeable and funny man, Virgo was doing live commentary throughout doing his best to put the players off. Parrott was the spoilsport of the night by getting a cheating century in the doubles match thereby allowing the bloke who won the raffle spot and the event organiser who was partnering Cliff just one shot each. He was on for a 101 but landed snookered on the green, so he asked Michaela to clean the white during which he picked up her marker and said "Good these aren't they?" before guess what, putting it back so he could pot the green.

Jimmy won the night, and was playing well but I was most impressed with Cliff - he is still a very capable player and was very unlucky not to win his first frame which he got a 67 break in (he was 35 ahead with one red and went in off, and Jimmy put him back in with the red in a tough spot).

So yes, a very entertaining night. It was worth it to see Jimmy White's limo :redneck:

Postby SnookerFan

Sonny, I can second your Michaela comment. I met her after a game at The Masters a few years ago, and my friend coaxed me to go up and get my photo taken with her. She is so approachable, and yet wow, what an aura she has about her.

I've gone up to her, got my mate to take the photo, and felt I better say something, and was like; "Err... You're the best referee, you are." Tounge in cheek she asked me if I meant best, or prettiest. I said; "Well you're better looking the Jan Ver Haas." I walked off and then went <doh> and was like; "What the buck did I just say to her?" <laugh>
Last edited by SnookerFan on 18 Jan 2011, edited 2 times in total.