Topic locked

Is the PTC a masterclass on Hearn's part?

Postby Tubberlad

Just a few points I'd like to make on the PTC. I think this is the best thing that has happened to the game in a long, long time, even if it is only at it's humble beginnings. Here's why I think the events will prove something of a masterclass

[*] Sensible
Hearn has been sensible in his approach to the events. No big venues & no crowd just yet. Will it remain this way? I very much doubt it. Hearn, for me, is testing the water with this first year, perfecting the organisational aspect of the tournaments before releasing it in all it's glory. Yes, question marks certainly loom over organisation for now (are best of 7's too long for the earlier stages? Should there be more tables? At what time should play commence?), but it's all early days and very much a learning curve for all involved. This is why you'll find no crowds for the home events.

[*] Prize money
Not bad at all for three day's work, and a meagre best of 7 format, eh? Did we mention there's twelve of them?

[*] Ranking points
Let's be honest: if these events had no ranking points, nobody would care less about the PTC, reguardless of any other incentives. With rolling rankings enforced, these events needed to be in place to really reflect current form (more events, better indication). The quality fields for the first two events, and it looks better again for the third, show that these events mean something. Look at World Snooker's foray into a similar format last year to show how disastrous things could have been if not done properly.

[*] Promotion in Europe
Not only do we have a ranking event in it's purest sense taking place in Berlin, we now have six other minor ranking events taking place on the continent, and it's open to crowds. It's a big market, and the PTC should tap into it well.

[*] Meaningful playing opportunities
The biggest gripe in recent years was the lack of meaningful action on the table. Last year we had six, SIX, ranking events. With a required number of tournaments to play, decent prize money and potentially crucial ranking points on offer, there really is no excuse.

To conclude, I wish these events the best, and hope that Hearn maximises their potential, and I've no doubt he will.

Re: Is the PTC a masterclass on Hearn's part?

Postby Wildey

you hit the nail on the head Barhain was a prime example of the WSA Going in feet first without putting in the spade work regarding countries the PTC is that spade Work.

people to quick to judge the PTC humble beginnings but it could prove to be the best investment World Snooker ever Made for the future of the Game in Europe and World Wide.

there might be a case in years to come playing 3 British PTC and take the Sport Wider Afield.

Postby SnookerFan

wildJONESEYE wrote:you hit the nail on the head Barhain was a prime example of the WSA Going in feet first without putting in the spade work regarding countries the PTC is that spade Work.

people to quick to judge the PTC humble beginnings but it could prove to be the best investment World Snooker ever Made for the future of the Game in Europe and World Wide.

there might be a case in years to come playing 3 British PTC and take the Sport Wider Afield.

If it expands the sport worldwide, we can't moan. Lets hope it does. <ok>

Postby Wildey

originally the PTC was put together on 3 front PTC,EPTC and WPTC (world) but pat mooney was incharge of that and as we know he no longer is so that iDea was dropped but next year with more time i can see it happening.

Postby Smart

rocket_ron wrote:is the PTC a masterclass?

:chin: :chin: :chin: :chin: :chin: :chin: :chin:

er NO its marmite

as it stands there is nothing there for fans to be interested in.................... no viewing, no scoring.

If it grows and there is something thrown to the fans then great, but to me its 2 blokes playing a step up from down their local club. The step up being that they have a ref to pick the balls out. Money matches and proper practice matches happen up and down the country........

Hearn set up a similar tour with darts and it is a success - so I am not slagging him, but just feel there is nothing here to talk about - other than the players have something (if they choose) between proper ranking snooker events. <ok>

Postby Wildey

Give it a chance it was put together pretty quick its a £800,000 Snooker tournament only the World Championship got more cash than that.

it beggers belief that bucking fans criticise more snooker <doh> <doh> <doh> <doh> <doh> <doh>

Postby Wildey

Are you a snooker Fan and buck me you disagree with MORE SNOOKER :huh2:

have you got any idea how stupid that statement is ?

regarding smart comment sorry <ok>

Postby Smart

lets not get too personal lads......

However one thing just struck me, wild you mention 800k for this PTC stuff....... that is a lot of loot, but not a stream from any table, not any LIVE scoring, not any way of viewing .......

Something is amiss. Its okay to say they rushed to put this together but they could of used EISS or a similar badminton sized arena for viewing ....

All seems a bit half-cocked but as long as the players are getting some cash and practice - that is enough for some to call this a success.

I want more than that, cos it offers me nothing as a fan. Zilch, zero, nowt. <ok>

Postby Wildey

Smart <ok>

i agree there needs to be refined it but that what this thread from tubber is all about.

im not going to lie im happy about not being able to see it or not being able to follow it on live scoring even because im not far from it but this sport is in a transitional period its been a month since Barry Hearn got complete Control of the Sport before then how could he comit to rubbish if the players was going to pull the rug beneath him but the season had to be planned despite the fact he could have been out on his ass.

and its planned ready to roll on a budget its all good things ahead but for now its behind closed doors it wont remain like that im confident about it.

Postby Rocket_ron

then to top it off they are giving ranking points and rankng titles to there name for winning its a complete joke.

i might go to to my local club tonight and come out a ranking title winner....... JOKE

Postby Rocket_ron

StalinESQ wrote:
rocket_ron wrote:and what me laugh the most was selby winning PTC#2 and now its being sugested he is the best in the world and better than robertson.

i have read some crap

Robbo fan-boy :wave: <ok> :wave: <ok>

<laugh>

if selby wins the wc im gonna have to a long think about snooker.

I want excitement and at the moment there hasn't been any since may

Postby Noel

If they can't afford (or worse, see the necessity for at least )Live Scoring,
I just hope they have the cash to pay the players.

=o\

Noel

SUN SEARCHLIGHT FLASHLIGHT = RONNIE NEIL MARK

Postby Tubberlad

Rocket: I was claiming Selby is the best player in the World since he beat O'Sullivan at the Crucible, not on the back of a PTC win. As reguards this being marmite, please read the article. I expect this idea to grow, become something like the Darts tour, and be a great success. I'm calling this a masterclass from Hearn BECAUSE he's keeping it under wraps FOR NOW. I don't for a second believe their won't be viewers in years to come, the point is perfecting the format, starting small, releasing it.

I'll have to do a bit of a cleanup here lads, move some posts, let's not get personal.

Postby Tubberlad

Rocket, your opinions have not been deleted. You and Wild were having a go at each other, that was deleted. You're entitled to your opinions.

My point is one you seem to be missing: it would have been stupid of Hearn to jump feet first into this. If there had been an audience, tv or otherwise, the first two events would have been seen as an organisational disaster. Hearn is testing the water, and perfecting the format in time for the Mainland Europe events, which will have an audience. That's my point.

Also: Yes, I do think Selby is better than Robertson. Obviously Robertson is a brilliant player, but if Selby can get his act together as reguards finishing tournaments off, and achieving consistency, he'll be a major, major force.

Postby Wildey

rocket_ron wrote:then to top it off they are giving ranking points and rankng titles to there name for winning its a complete joke.

i might go to to my local club tonight and come out a ranking title winner....... JOKE

Ranking Points NOT Ranking Titles.

Postby Rocket_ron

thetubberlad wrote:
Also: Yes, I do think Selby is better than Robertson. Obviously Robertson is a brilliant player, but if Selby can get his act together as reguards finishing tournaments off, and achieving consistency, he'll be a major, major force.

im confused

roberson world champion and world number 2 100% in record in finals and yet selby is better.

sorry but the sums dont add up

Postby Rocket_ron

wildJONESEYE wrote:
rocket_ron wrote:then to top it off they are giving ranking points and rankng titles to there name for winning its a complete joke.

Ranking Points NOT Ranking Titles.

give me a min

Postby Tubberlad

rocket_ron wrote:
StalinESQ wrote:
rocket_ron wrote:and what me laugh the most was selby winning PTC#2 and now its being sugested he is the best in the world and better than robertson.

i have read some crap

<laugh>

Sorry, I look down on comments like that. How can Selby winning the World Championship be worthy of having a long think about snooker having seen what's happened in the background in recent weeks?

Postby Rocket_ron

thetubberlad wrote:
rocket_ron wrote:
StalinESQ wrote:

i have read some crap

<laugh>

Sorry, I look down on comments like that. How can Selby winning the World Championship be worthy of having a long think about snooker having seen what's happened in the background in recent weeks?

well look down on me then, im not changing my word for you or anybody

Postby SnookerFan

Lets get this right. Are we basing opinion it on it's current format? If we are, it's a bit meaningless. Shorter matches, played before a crowd of four, with no television coverage. No, that isn't progress, and we don't want it to continue in that vein.

Following the assumption that Barry Hearn truly does want snooker to grow into an international sport, then you've got to hope it'll grow, and become something bigger. If it doesn't then it'd just been pure stupidity. We have to see where Hearn goes with this, to be fair.

I'm not advocating kissing Hearn's bottom before he's done anything. And certainly don't agree with all these comments of "Barry Hearn :bowdown: " I'll give it a bit of :bowdown: when I see we've got something to bow down about. I am hoping thi's'll expand, and grow and become something worthwhile. Otherwise it'll be a bunch of snooker that nobody can watch. Hopefully we are just tweaking it before it becomes more accessible to fans.

Postby Wildey

im not kissing his ass but holy rubbish we are expecting miracles here or at least some are ...

Hearn wasent in charge until December now players earn more got a sponser for the welsh after 6 years bloody hell lets see someone else do it quicker ?

things take time

Postby Noel

"How the Middle-East Was Won"

rocket_ron... if wild mispells you an "incompitint fathead" so you say "seeya"...
if you call wild the same maybe he'll say "seeya" too. Problem solved.

.... wait a minute... wrong scenario... that's "How the Snooker Island Was Lost"!

=o\

Noel

Postby Wildey

Noel wrote:"How the Middle-East Was Won"

rocket_ron... if wild mispells you an "incompitint fathead" so you say "seeya"...
if you call wild the same maybe he'll say "seeya" too. Problem solved.

.... wait a minute... wrong scenario... that's "How the Snooker Island Was Lost"!

=o\

Noel

im sorry rocket ron <ok> im passionate about the sport and see the huge benefit the PTC will have long Term its baffeling how some cant see that..

Nothing Personel against you i dont know you but your ideas on where snooker should go is baffeling and frustrating.