Post a reply

Re: Remember when the UK Championship used to be good?

Postby Wildey

i agree snookerfan ive not had the same buzz for the UK since 1992 when it was a best of 31 final and the final nail in the coffin was when best of 17 matches disappeared.

like it or not its just the run of the mill tournament these days.

Postby Andre147

Wildey wrote:i agree snookerfan ive not had the same buzz for the UK since 1992 when it was a best of 31 final and the final nail in the coffin was when best of 17 matches disappeared.

still the 2nd biggest ranker, only one of 3 tournaments with a Best of 11 from the start so it's still prestigious.

Postby Andre147

Had Selby or Higgins won that I'm sure most of those who dont give Ronnie the credit he deserves would be raving about it...

Deal with it! Ronnie O'Sullivan has a record equalling 6 UK Titles!

Postby Andre147

Wildey wrote:when Davis won his 6th in 1987 he won 61 frames in 6 matches

Ronnie won 46 in 7 matches this week.

I could also argue Hendry's UK Titles count for nothing compared to Davis because he won UK Titles with a reduced Final, Best of 19 instead of 33.

Postby Wildey

Andre147 wrote:Had Selby or Higgins won that I'm sure most of those who dont give Ronnie the credit he deserves would be raving about it...

Hendry won 3 UK with best of 19 final and although it gave me a buzz him winning i was not stupid to think it was anywhere near the achievement of Steve Davis and that's the gods honest truth.

Administration after Administration has cocked up this tournament and it shades the Shoot out as Hearns biggest cockerel up since he took over..

Postby Holden Chinaski

Yes it's a shame that the number of frames got reduced.

But let me tell you something: all the top players still want to win this title badly. This title is top priority after the World championship and next to the Masters. And the one who did it this year was Ronnie.

And no snooker lover can say that final was not a great match with a very high standard.

The butthurt is strong with Wild. Had Selby won this he would be raving. No congrats for Ronnie, no comments on a fantastic final... Not a single Selby fan was even posting during the final. Butthurt h.aters.

Postby TheSaviour

Yes.

But this year´s final was weird because I have never believed that I could be hoping Ronnie to win the final (or an any match) and at the same time not feeling bad or sad about his ever-present arrogance and ignorance. What a sad liitle t.... Ronnie actually always just is. Still I have him as a one of my favourite players. That´s just down to the fact the snooker he can play as well as having a very poor choices from the professional players. But Shaun´s just a complete catastrophe as a person. So that´s why I was heavily and sincerely rooting for Ronnie. Shaun´s always stating his own opinions as a facts. Surely he should had learned at the school the difference between the personal opinion and a fact. He still can play some snooker, like I always do admit. He states those personal opinions of his own at the snooker table. Those are relatively strong and good ones. The kind of a predictions. Like the opinions usually are. Trying to predict the future. But surely he shouldn´t state those as a facts, even when he has a great ratios. But if someone is personally knowing Shaun or someone like him, the only way to protect your own personality and mentality is to :plane: (to run away). He has his unique style, regarding snooker. But surely he should try to learn from the other aspects of life and suchs and I am sure he always will and does. That´s what we all do. Even a 50 years of old is nothing regarding of being a snooker player. Almost all of the people are just personally flushing their physiques down the toilet. When absolutely no reason or to sense to do anything like that.

But that´s all about this year´s final and finalists.

Perhaps it is best this way (sarcasm). I was just asking what took you so long when some of the lads already were back to where they have always should be. Sad little t.... But so right regarding some of the things.

Just as they were shouting now it is nominated, now it is nominated, no looking back anymore. And suddenly it is a major fall back. I was just asking from the people what made you to change your mind. No aswers. But perhaps it is best this way. The usual insanity has made a solid come-back. From zero to hero.

Now I am really, really interested to know all about those previous finals and particularly all about that one player who has had such an influence... rofl rofl

Once again, just try to trust to other people. No matter what the format is, they will be playing it well. Peace. Absolutely no need to panic. Just give a people a chance and they will deliver. You need to trust to other people more. What will be the current little kids be when they grow up if having such an environment? Where everything should be under the control and no trust involved.

Stating the obvious is no good to you because those obviouses are loaded. Loaded with some clever ideas. If once again wanting to have any day as the completely new one and a fresh starts and to be nominated as the day 1, then just keep on stating the obvious.
Last edited by TheSaviour on 11 Dec 2017, edited 1 time in total.

Postby SnookerFan

Wildey wrote:i agree snookerfan ive not had the same buzz for the UK since 1992 when it was a best of 31 final and the final nail in the coffin was when best of 17 matches disappeared.

Good though the final was, I've felt a bit of a let down watching it on TV this year.

The venue is great. (Apart from the Sports Hall bit.)

But if this is such a major, why isn't the first week on TV? Why are only two matches out of eight on TV early on?

Even the best of 11s I'm used to a bit. Even if a lot of the TV matches this year have been a bit duff, final aside.

But it just doesn't feel like a major any more. And that's from me. Who'd happily watch anything snooker.

Postby SnookerFan

Andre147 wrote:Had Selby or Higgins won that I'm sure most of those who dont give Ronnie the credit he deserves would be raving about it...

What are you talking about?

I said Ronnie would win more ranking events during The Masters final in January, when he was supposedly slowly declining according to this forum.

I didn't even care that Selby went out. I was more disappointed Ding did.

Not everything is a Ronnie vs Selby debate.

Postby SnookerFan

Badsnookerplayer wrote:Joe Davis titles are the only valid ones. If it ain't at least best of 75 then it ain't worth rubbish.

They should have a best of 75 exhbition. Make it last a week. rofl

I wonder if anybody would go. I'd consider it, if it was near enough for me. At least for a couple of days, for the novelty.