Post a reply

Betway UK Championship Last 16 !!!

Postby Wildey

Image Image Image
Tuesday 28th of November ~ Sunday 10th of December at the York, Barbican

Only 4 top 16 seeds left in the championship John Higgins, Shaun Murphy, Mark Allen and Ronnie O'Sullivan with Barry Hawkins being whitewashed by Akani Songsermsawad the biggest shock and Akani will now face Ronnie O'Sullivan for a place in the quarter finals.

Great to see Ricky Walden return to form beating Kyren Wilson 6-2 to set up a match with 2008 Champion Shaun Murphy.

Who will move on and reach the quarter Finals?

DRAW

Last 16

Li Hang v Ryan Day Day leads 3-1
Mark Joyce v Lyu Haotian Never Played before
Shaun Murphy v Ricky Walden Murphy leads 11-4
Mark King v John Higgins Higgins leads 20-5
--------------------------------------
Graeme Dott v Stephen Maguire Tied at 5-5
Joe Perry v Mark Allen Tied at 6-6
Ronnie O'Sullivan v Akani Songsermsawad Never Played before
Martin Gould v Xiao Guodong Never Played before

ORDER OF PLAY

Re: Betway UK Championship Last 16 !!!

Postby Andre147

Surprised Gould and Guodong never played each other.

Mags v Dott should be a good match if both play like they have done this tournament.

Postby PLtheRef

Interesting to note that given all the surprises, 11 of the 16 remaining players are either members of, or are former members of the top 16.

Postby KrazeeEyezKilla

PLtheRef wrote:Interesting to note that given all the surprises, 11 of the 16 remaining players are either members of, or are former members of the top 16.

There's been a few examples of players in the lower end of the top 16 losing to those just outside it, in a couple of cases by a deciding frame. The 16v17 draw means they will be a lot of evenly matched last 32 games so I wouldn't consider them shocks apart from maybe Brecel losing to King. If the World Championship had this system there would be more seeds going out early. Then there's Fu losing to a teenager who just reached a ranking semi, Trump losing to a former World Champion and the likes of Li Hang, Xiao Guodong and Hossein Vafaei who either reached the last 16 or knocked out a top 16 player and all three of them have been moving up the rankings in the last 6-12 months.

Postby Gridlock

Hey all...I'm still following the snooker here in the Barren USA. ALL the live steams have dried up. But still following on youtube. Would love to see the Thai kid beat ronnie. My pick is Gouldie cause of his Lemmy walk on. CHEERS!

Postby Holden Chinaski

Gridlock wrote:Hey all...I'm still following the snooker here in the Barren USA. ALL the live steams have dried up. But still following on youtube. Would love to see the Thai kid beat ronnie. My pick is Gouldie cause of his Lemmy walk on. CHEERS!

Is it not possible to pay for Eurosport Player in the USA? It doesn't cost much and that way you can always watch the snooker on your computer with good commentary...

Postby hendry_fan

I feel like it,s :tree: already,3 Scots playing today at the UK Championship 2017!. :happy:

Annoying that Dott has to play Mags though.

I must be gettin old,i canny remember when i last saw them play against each other.

Hmmmm,now who should i root for,well i like both the same and there both from Scotland,so i,ll be rootin for both o them. :-D

In fact i canny even remember when Higgins last played against King neither. :emb:

I won,t be commenting here today,as i,m goin to a freinds today to watch the snooker,he,s a Ronnie fan btw,so he,ll be like MDG and many others hoping that Higgins will lose. :-)

COMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMME ONNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN!,

JOHN

GRAEME

MAGS

:happy: :happy: :happy: :happy: :happy:

Postby Badsnookerplayer

See, I am a bit underwhelmed at the moment. The problem is that it is fine for top seeds to be knocked out by upcoming players, but these upcoming players aren't doing it. It's the likes of Dott and Joyce knocking out the top seeds. There are exceptions, like the Scot Scott 'Scotty' Donaldson, but then he gets knocked out too.

What you then get is a bit of a dull line-up like today. I want to see top players producing epic battles at this end of the tournament. You can't blame it on the tournament format either.

Young players - start beating top seeds and journeymen in the next round
Top players - stop losing to journeymen

Ah well - come on Joe Perry.

Postby Dan-cat

Badsnookerplayer wrote:See, I am a bit underwhelmed at the moment. The problem is that it is fine for top seeds to be knocked out by upcoming players, but these upcoming players aren't doing it. It's the likes of Dott and Joyce knocking out the top seeds. There are exceptions, like the Scot Scott 'Scotty' Donaldson, but then he gets knocked out too.

What you then get is a bit of a dull line-up like today. I want to see top players producing epic battles at this end of the tournament. You can't blame it on the tournament format either.

Young players - start beating top seeds and journeymen in the next round
Top players - stop losing to journeymen

Ah well - come on Joe Perry.

Hmmm, I do see where you are coming from. I think the over-saturation of snooker at this time of the year doesn't inspire great play. The only players left I'm really excited to watch are Lyu, Akani, Ronnie, Higgins, Ghou...

Postby mick745

They could have easily squeezed R4 into one day, there have been four tables in the arena, 4 this afternoon, the other four this evening.

We could then have qfs on Thurs, SFs on Fri and back to the 2day bo31 final Sat and Sun. Come on Hearn you know it makes sense!!

Postby mick745

One of Hang, Haotian, Joyce or Day will play in SFS.

Day would be favourite on paper but Li Hang is having a great season and I re kon that match is 50/50 either way.

Haotian with a chance for his second successive SF appearance which would be wonderful for the young lad.

Postby SnookerFan

mick745 wrote:They could have easily squeezed R4 into one day, there have been four tables in the arena, 4 this afternoon, the other four this evening.

We could then have qfs on Thurs, SFs on Fri and back to the 2day bo31 final Sat and Sun. Come on Hearn you know it makes sense!!

<ok>

Postby Dan-cat

SnookerFan wrote:
mick745 wrote:They could have easily squeezed R4 into one day, there have been four tables in the arena, 4 this afternoon, the other four this evening.

<ok>

Bring back best of 145 frames, where they play the dead frames as well.

Postby SnookerFan

Dan-cat wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:

<ok>

Bring back best of 145 frames, where they play the dead frames as well.

They should do a once a year exhibiton played under those rules. <ok>

Postby Gridlock

Holden Chinaski wrote:
Gridlock wrote:Hey all...I'm still following the snooker here in the Barren USA. ALL the live steams have dried up. But still following on youtube. Would love to see the Thai kid beat ronnie. My pick is Gouldie cause of his Lemmy walk on. CHEERS!

Is it not possible to pay for Eurosport Player in the USA? It doesn't cost much and that way you can always watch the snooker on your computer with good commentary...

Unfortunately Eurosport player isn't available in US.

Postby Chalk McHugh

The Old Firm should not lack fir a bit of derby needle.Wee Dott lacks flr no bottle but i give the angry Maguire a hesitant nod.

The burly bruiser from Antrim needs beating but not sure the Gentleman can deliver the knockout blow (although their head to heads would beg to differ).

Smurf is cueing like a dream and i fully expect him to dispose of Walden.

The Wizard has an 80% success rate v Mark King and it's more of the same today with King facing an uphill task of epic proportions.He's out of his league and John to progress with a degree of comfort.

Postby Dan-cat

Hello Griddy!! That's a damn shame. Have you considered using a vpn, to spoof your location? I mean to make the Eurosport server think that you are Spain or elsewhere in Europe. I'm sure we talked about this before a long time ago.

'In this tutorial, you can find instructions on how to watch Eurosport Player in USA' https://thevpn.guru/unblock-eurosport-p ... lia-canada

Postby Dan-cat

Snookerbackers blog:

'The final 16 players left in this year’s UK Championship will be battling it out for the next two days as the arena closes in and we’re now down to what is always referred to as the ‘two table situation’ where the atmosphere at The Barbican really intensifies.

John Higgins once again takes centre stage this afternoon against Mark King alongside the Battle of the Jocks as Graeme Dott locks horns with Stephen Maguire. The chasing pack are making things very awkward in terms of who will be at The Masters in January with Day, King, Maguire, Gould, Perry and Walden all still in it here. Just when Ryan Day, who plays this evening, shook off the challenge of Neil Robertson he now has that crowd breathing down his neck too. It’s still all up in the air and every match in this round bar the two evening ones tomorrow will have a bearing on the final Ally Pally line up with Liang Wenbo and Anthony McGill still uncertain of their starting places and needing results to go their way.

There are just 5 of the current top 16 left in the event which is a new record. The defeats for Barry Hawkins and Luca Brecel yesterday cemented the new age of the numpties and just Ronnie, Higgins, Murphy, Allen and Day are left there, though technically you could argue that Day is actually 17th given we are playing without Stuart Bingham, I’ll leave the official decision to the anoraks on that one.

Anyway, here’s the line up for the next 48 hours. Outright pick Murphy (25/1) is still in there grappling. In terms of fancies in matches they are all so hard to call but given that Dotty has struggled a little with consistency after big wins in the past I think Maguire could win their clash this afternoon. I’d hazard a guess that the increasingly impressive Lyu Haotian will beat Mark Joyce to the delight of Joyce’s mum and it will be interesting to see how Ronnie copes with the speed and tactics of his opponent, who whitewashed Hawkins last night. It’s all up for grabs.'

http://www.snookerbacker.com/2017/12/06 ... last-16-4/

Postby Andre147

Yes too many tournaments means sometimes players dont find their best form.

But there's certainly no excuse whatsoever for Mark Selby. He did exactly the same this year as he did last one: didn't play the NI Open. Last year he won this UK, this year gets beaten 2nd round after leading 2-0 and losing 6-3. So Selby cant even use that as an excuse. He was just poor, and his opponent played the match of his life.

Postby Holden Chinaski

Andre147 wrote:Yes too many tournaments means sometimes players dont find their best form.

But there's certainly no excuse whatsoever for Mark Selby. He did exactly the same this year as he did last one: didn't play the NI Open. Last year he won this UK, this year gets beaten 2nd round after leading 2-0 and losing 6-3. So Selby cant even use that as an excuse. He was just poor, and his opponent played the match of his life.

Poor Coland. He's probably drinking his sorrows away at home, watching old Selbo footage on youtube and listening to Frank Zippo records...

Postby SnookerFan

Andre147 wrote:Yes too many tournaments means sometimes players dont find their best form.

rubbish happens. He lost one match. Wouldn't read too much into it.

The upside to squllions of tournaments is plenty more to win in the season.

Postby eraserhead

Not surprised Neil lost. He's been showing glimpses of good form all season but not going far in any comp. Hawkins must hate this tournament by now, remember when he collapsed against Bond. <doh>

Dott v Mags should be a good match.