Post a reply

Where does Shaun Murphy rank among the greats?

Postby SnookerFan

Triple Crown Winner. Been in two further Crucible finals.

Where does Shaun Murphy rank, for you?

Is he consider a great? Just outside of being one?

Or does he not deserve a mention at all?

Re: Where does Shaun Murphy rank among the greats?

Postby SnookerFan

Andre147 wrote:He's probably up there with Doherty or Parrot.

I'd put Murphy a tad above Doherty.

Both won The Crucible once, and a handful of others. But Murphy won the UK and The Masters too. Doherty didn't.

Postby Johnny Bravo

Let's see now :chin:

So far my top 10 includes the likes Ronnie, Hendry, J. Higgins, Davis, Robertson, A. Higgins, Selby, Williams, White, Reardon.

So he's just outside the top 10, maybe even 11th. Ding and Judd are better when they are at their best, but Murphy has achieved more, so he probably edges them.

Postby Johnny Bravo

Badsnookerplayer wrote:That's a fine top 10. Would you consider Paul Hunter?

He was an amazing player, but I don't know exactly where to rank him.
People are nostalgic and automatically rate the ones that passed higher than they actually were.
I'm not saying that Paul wasn't a great player, cause he was, but I don't think I can include him in my top 10 as it is.
Had he lived on, I reckon he would have won the world championship.

Postby Andre147

Badsnookerplayer wrote:Yeah it is hard. As you say the sentiment is huge with him. Would love to have seen where he would have been now.

Triple Crown winner for sure. Could actually see him challenge Ronnie's 7 Masters titles. Who knows... had he still be around, Ronnie might not have had 7.

Postby vodkadiet

Murphy is no doubt the greatest snooker player who has ever lived, and ever will live. His victory over all and sundry at last week's Champion of Champions ended all reasonable debate. We will never see the likes again. Enjoy him while you can. As one snooker fan described whilst leaving The Ricoh Arena last Saturday night following Murphy's obliteration of a young Belgian pretender; "I am honoured to be living in the same era as Shaun. The boy has something that only the blessed are born with. I am in no way religious, but when I see him split a tight pack open and give himself a choice of reds I feel that there must be a God. I have even had an instant erection at times whilst watching Shaun construct a frame winning break."

Postby Johnny Bravo

vodkadiet wrote:Murphy is no doubt the greatest snooker player who has ever lived, and ever will live. His victory over all and sundry at last week's Champion of Champions ended all reasonable debate. We will never see the likes again. Enjoy him while you can. As one snooker fan described whilst leaving The Ricoh Arena last Saturday night following Murphy's obliteration of a young Belgian pretender; "I am honoured to be living in the same era as Shaun. The boy has something that only the blessed are born with. I am in no way religious, but when I see him split a tight pack open and give himself a choice of reds I feel that there must be a God. I have even had an instant erection at times whilst watching Shaun construct a frame winning break."

rofl rofl rofl

Postby SnookerEd25

vodkadiet wrote:Murphy is no doubt the greatest snooker player who has ever lived, and ever will live. His victory over all and sundry at last week's Champion of Champions ended all reasonable debate. We will never see the likes again. Enjoy him while you can. As one snooker fan described whilst leaving The Ricoh Arena last Saturday night following Murphy's obliteration of a young Belgian pretender; "I am honoured to be living in the same era as Shaun. The boy has something that only the blessed are born with. I am in no way religious, but when I see him split a tight pack open and give himself a choice of reds I feel that there must be a God. I have even had an instant erection at times whilst watching Shaun construct a frame winning break."

:bowdown:

We were all thinking it; you were the only one with the guts to say it. <ok>

Postby Chalk McHugh

Rolls Royce cueist.Sometimes looks like he wont miss a ball,but mentally and tactically i think he is a long way off the likes of Davis,Ronnie,Higgins and Selby.Always thought he is very weak in the safety department.Lovely to watch when in amongst the balls,though.

Postby The_Abbott

SnookerFan wrote:
The_Abbott wrote:He's better than Gary Wilkinson or Martin Clark

What makes you say that?

He beat Gary in 2003 and has never played Martin so I have no actual proof but I am not sure Martin would have won the world championship being lucky.