Post a reply

Dave H focus on Shaun Murphy

Postby Monique

http://snookerscene.blogspot.com/2010/0 ... urphy.html
FOCUS ON...SHAUN MURPHY

Shaun Murphy has been world champion, UK champion and is a player often tipped to win titles based on his professional approach to tournaments as well as his rock solid game.

All this said, it’s worth pointing out that he only has three ranking titles to his name.

I say ‘only’ – this is a little unfair. It’s not as if they come along every week. He has also won three invitation titles. Even so, it’s a lower return than might have been expected after Murphy’s sensational capture of the world title in 2005.

To come through the pack like he did was a surprise but that he would make it at the top level was not for anyone who had known Shaun since he was young.

His entire focus as a boy was to make it as a professional. When he first appeared at the Crucible he said it was his ambition to one day be mentioned in the same breath as Steve Davis and Stephen Hendry.

Some journalists – no doubt I was one of them – wondered if this teenager had ideas above his station. But although he hasn’t achieved the domination Davis and Hendry did in their respective heydays, Murphy is what all the many thousands of pros, wannabe pros and young amateurs have dreamt of being: world champion.

To produce the standard of snooker he did on the game’s greatest stage against much more experienced opponents was one of the great achievements of the last decade, indeed of any decade.

He lost 17-16 to Mark Selby in the semi-finals in 2007, 18-9 in the final to John Higgins in 2009 and 13-12 to Ali Carter in the quarter-finals last season.

I’d fancy Murphy to be there or there abouts at the Crucible for the next few years.

Last season, he dropped four places down the rankings to seventh.

In truth, though, there’s far too much focus on the rankings at the top end. What difference does it make whether a player is fifth or sixth or seventh? Who cares?

Of course, dropping out of the top four makes a difference in seedings but when the top players meet it’s all on the day. Murphy doesn’t suddenly become a heavy second favourite against, say, Neil Robertson just because he’s now below him on the list.

Dropping out of the top four may, however, be a psychological setback. Players want to keep on the up and up but Murphy has slipped back. The good news, though, is that with the new ranking system he can bounce back straightaway instead of having to wait a whole season.

And as he didn’t win a match in any of the 2008 Northern Ireland Trophy, Shanghai Masters and Grand Prix there won’t be many points to come off when the list is revised in October.

Murphy has always given the impression of being a wise head on young shoulders but off table pressures – the break up of his marriage and subsequent relocation to Sale – clearly had an impact on his form.

He isn’t everyone’s cup of tea (who is?) but from what I’ve seen he’s always been a good pro: signing autographs, chatting to fans, posing for photographs.

In his year as world champion he was always available for media interviews and willing to promote his sport.

There have been well documented (very well in some cases) incidents in the arena where his opponents have not always been enamoured by Murphy. He isn’t alone in this and, of course, there’s no taking back what has happened once it’s happened.

Some people still bang the drum that there are no ‘characters’ (without ever defining what they actually mean by that term) but I’d say Murphy is a fascinating character.

Socially, he is one of the easiest players to chat to. He’s friendly and laidback and yet seems to wind a lot of snooker fans up.

Perhaps they regard his persona is insincere. Knowing Shaun, I don’t believe it is but I also like a bit of tribalism in sport: heroes and villains, as in any drama, is what keeps people coming back for more.

Murphy turns 28 this year, not young in snooker terms but not old either.

The next five years or so is where you would expect him to enjoy the majority of his success.

He remains one of the few players in the game I would be wary of betting against but his consistency seems to have declined in the last couple of seasons – he has lost some matches in this period that few would have predicted – and that is what he will be looking to recapture in the new campaign.

That and titles: the ultimate measure of a snooker player.

To me what characterises Shaun Murphy's public persona is an incredible self-belief, a sense of inner security and certainty not many human feel and even less dare to show. So much so in fact that it rubs people the wrong way, that he comes across as arrogant, intolerant and self-righteous at times. I think he's mellowed a bit after his marriage broke up though. Such feeling of inner security certainly is a big help to his game. To be fair to Shaun he has the matching very high professional standard be it at the table or when he faces the press or the fans.

Will he ever be a Hendry or Davis, a dominant player? IMO no. Will he be a Williams, John Higgins or Ronnie, players who didn't really dominate but still have an impressive record, multiple world champions? Maybe but I strongly doubt it.

Re: Dave H focus on Shaun Murphy

Postby Wildey

When You look at Murphy and his strength of Charicter he should be a more succesfull player than he is or has been with only 3 Ranking Titles in 5 years since his World Triumph is not a good Return at all.

mentally id put him Stronger than maguire and Ding but both of them won 4 and Robertson well hes 2 clear on 5 Rankers.

But Really Murphy should have been the stronger player but theres something missing from his charicter where he can be consistent but cant push on from there.

Stephen Hendry once said i dont want to be consistent i want to be a consistent Winner.

Postby N_Castle07

Great article and great to hear from someone who actually knows Shaun. I’ve always liked Shaun and respect his game. I think a lot of fans conveniently dismiss his talent because of the hatred they have towards him. I’m not sure what’s happened to Shaun or any of the other players come to think of it, consistency has just seemed to have gone out the window. No doubt there has been a drop in standards but that’s mainly because of the lack of tournaments. I’m surprised its 2010 and Murphy has still only 1 World Title but with the new calendar I expect the standards to rise and I believe Murphy will one day put his name up with the greats and become multiple world champion.

Postby SnookerFan

I don't hate Murphy as much as some, in fact I used to quite like him. I felt when people banged on about his religious beliefs, they were being a bit petty. It's not something Murphy waffles on and on about, and the only times I've seen him discuss it is when asked. If anything it was the BBC who kept putting up; "Met his wife in a Christian chatroom" as his fascinating fact.

And though what he did against Maguire was certainly uncalled for, and perhaps unsportsmanly, it was quite early in his career. And it was one mistake that got constantly replayed every time he faced Maguire. I felt it was a tad unfair. If anything, once the referee has agreed to something, in my eyes it's his right to explain to Murphy he enforces the rules, not the players.

But I lost a lot of respect when he did the same thing against Robertson (was it?) who had left his extension behind, and asked the referee to fetch it. Murphy felt the need to stick his nose in, start saying it wasn't allowed. Okay, it seems odd that his opponent would forget a necessary piece of equipment, but I thought; "Come on Murphy! You saw people's reactions when this happened first time, and you're still doing it as an established player?" <doh> I began to see this 'self-righteous' side that some people complained about.

I still admire Murphy's determination, and his desire to win, no matter how big or small the tournament. And that he won't give up even if he's 9-0 down in a best of 19. It'd be nice to see more then that. But to be fair now, I admit more that he can, in my opinion, be a bit of a mug.

Postby Wildey

maybe the fact he wants everything to be by the rules is part of autism ? and there is no flexibility there like with maguire and Robbo.

as a player i like to watch him play his cue action is second to none but sometime as a person he throws in these cringworthy moments in interviews or like those 2 incidents mentioned.

Postby SnookerFan

wildJONESEYE wrote:maybe the fact he wants everything to be by the rules is part of autism ? and there is no flexibility there like with maguire and Robbo.

as a player i like to watch him play his cue action is second to none but sometime as a person he throws in these cringworthy moments in interviews or like those 2 incidents mentioned.

Is he actually autistic? Or is that just speculation?

Postby N_Castle07

wildJONESEYE wrote:maybe the fact he wants everything to be by the rules is part of autism ? and there is no flexibility there like with maguire and Robbo.

Does he suffer from a degree of autism or is this just speculation from Moondan?

Postby N_Castle07

N_Castle07 wrote:

Does he suffer from a degree of autism or is this just speculation from Moondan?

i see snookerfan has already asked that question <laugh>

Postby Wildey

im going with what moondan and monique sais to be honest.

it would explain some of the gaffs but is that only a excuse to explain the gaffs who knows? i dont 100%

Postby SnookerFan

wildJONESEYE wrote:im going with what moondan and monique sais to be honest.

it would explain some of the gaffs but is that only a excuse to explain the gaffs who knows? i dont 100%

If he is, fair enough. Hands in the air, it's something I didn't know about the guy. But I haven't even heard it suggested anywhere else other then this forum, and I do wonder if it's just a rumour, or theory based on the fact Brecel has a condition.

I know Monique in particular has some behind the secenes knowledge, and isn't the sort to jump to conclusions, but I'd prefer to see something more concrete, before believing this is true.

I mean, he might be, and fair play to him for suceeding with a condition like that. But part of me doubts it somehow. Sounds like one of those theories that goes round the internet.

Postby N_Castle07

SnookerFan wrote:
wildJONESEYE wrote:im going with what moondan and monique sais to be honest.

If he is, fair enough. Hands in the air, it's something I didn't know about the guy. But I haven't even heard it suggested anywhere else other then this forum, and I do wonder if it's just a rumour, or theory based on the fact Brecel has a condition.

I know Monique in particular has some behind the secenes knowledge, and isn't the sort to jump to conclusions, but I'd prefer to see something more concrete, before believing this is true.

I mean, he might be, and fair play to him for suceeding with a condition like that. But part of me doubts it somehow. Sounds like one of those theories that goes round the internet.

i think this is just a theory from moondan so as you say i son't be believing this untill it i proved. i'm sure it would of been well documented if a World Champion had this condition.

Postby Wildey

Yes ive herd it nowhere else apart from online lol

Postby Roland

Fair assessment from Dave H. For me the reason Murphy hasn't won more is because of flaws in his game. I mean we all have them and some think it's overly critical to pick on a top player and say what is wrong with his game but I know exactly why Shaun hasn't won more.

Firstly he is rubbish at cannons. When he goes into reds, instead of being able to work out the right way to split the balls, he invariably uses his power screw shot (and he has phenomenal cue power) and hopes for the best. When it goes right, he clears up. But you make your own luck and the lack of control of cannons when compared to masters such as O'Sullivan and Ding is glaring.

Secondly his belief in his own ability goes through the roof when he's under pressure in a big match. It's a bizarre one, completely the opposite of Matthew Stevens for example who makes the simplest of shots seem worthy of 3 laps of the table in attempt to delay taking it on. But with Shaun it's as if sometimes he thinks he can do anything and some of the shots he takes on in big matches at crucial times are very very dodgy. And he hasn't learnt, he still does it.

The cannon play is something hard to teach yourself, either you can picture how the balls will react or you can't, it's an instinct and I don't think Shaun has it. And the over aggression is something that makes him great to watch, but ultimately gives hope to the opponent. But the opponent has to be a top player to take advantage.

Postby Roland

And the autism thing is pure speculation but it does make things fit into place.

Postby paperbackwriter

I've never been and I probably won't ever be able to like him- somewhere between his professionalism, obsession about the rules (even when it's against the spirit of the game), overestimating some of his achievements, trying to equal the biggest names and acting so impassive- the joy of the game is lost for me (and I don't say that these things are bad in themselves, at least not all of them, but I can't stand the whole package).

Postby Wildey

rocket_ron wrote:does anyone actually like Dave H?

why ?

dont you ?

Postby SnookerFan

Witz78 wrote:Perhaps Murphy deliberatly loses in tournaments before the final so he is free to go to church on a Sunday.....

The police are investigating match-fixing allegations as we speak.

Postby Monique

SnookerFan wrote:
Witz78 wrote:Perhaps Murphy deliberatly loses in tournaments before the final so he is free to go to church on a Sunday.....

The police are investigating match-fixing allegations as we speak.

where they unusual betting patterns about the time of his appearance at church? (don't mind me ... overtired and 3 glasses of red)

Postby Witz78

wildJONESEYE wrote:

why ?

dont you ?

how come u dont "like" him Ron? What a strange comment...

Postby mediter

I found Murphy´s and autism being a complete nonsense. What I think about Shaun, is that he´s brillinant and mentally very strong player. These days everyone has their bad moments and bad runs simply because level of playing is so strong... They love the game and when it´s not happening they just get get a bit down. But it´t always a very temporal and they will get back srotnger and better than they were. Shaun´s a very strong lad just like someone like Maguire, O´Sullivan, Higgins, Williams etc are like..

Postby Rocket_ron

Witz78 wrote:
wildJONESEYE wrote:

why ?

dont you ?

i don't dislike him, i just don't bum him

Postby Witz78

rocket_ron wrote:
Witz78 wrote:
wildJONESEYE wrote:

why ?

dont you ?

i don't dislike him, i just don't bum him

either do i bum him haha

Postby SnookerFan

Witz78 wrote:i don't dislike him, i just don't bum him

either do i bum him haha[/quote]

I did once, but I had had a lot to drink. He, on the other hand, just had knew a good thing when he was onto it.

Postby SnookerFan

The finals don't start until the afternoon, he has plenty of time.... <laugh>

Actually I once went to a church service in Sheffield, just before a Crucible final. And Murphy was nowhere to be seen. :chin: You heard it here first.

Postby Tubberlad

I don't think I've ever made a secret of how much I dislike Murphy. But Religion? Has nothing to do with my dislike of him, just to get that out there. I believe in God myself actually.

I do however think this is a very good article, typically top notch stuff from Hendon in fairness, his opinions are usually on the money. Faults in Murphy's game? As a player, Murphy is very, very good. Inconsistent, but very good. Fluent, plays the right way, has a very pure stance. But I thought he got owned by Higgins in 2009 as far as safety play is concerned, and I find his shot selection at times overly agressive, and downright crazy.

Postby SnookerFan

thetubberlad wrote:I don't think I've ever made a secret of how much I dislike Murphy. But Religion? Has nothing to do with my dislike of him, just to get that out there. I believe in God myself actually.

I do however think this is a very good article, typically top notch stuff from Hendon in fairness, his opinions are usually on the money. Faults in Murphy's game? As a player, Murphy is very, very good. Inconsistent, but very good. Fluent, plays the right way, has a very pure stance. But I thought he got owned by Higgins in 2009 as far as safety play is concerned, and I find his shot selection at times overly agressive, and downright crazy.

Getting owned by Higgins isn't a disgrace, I rate his all round game better then anybodies. Remember that final where Higgins owned Ronnie in the potting department? How many men can say they've done that? How many unanswered points was it? Awesome performance....

But I agree with you, religion shouldn't play a part in your opinion of a person. I don't see that Murphy particularly pushes it down people's throats, but shouldn't be ashamed to admit it if asked either. It's the fact that he can be a bit of a bell-end at times that people don't like.

Personally there are players I dislike more then Murphy. But, each to their own, we can't all like the same people.

Postby Bourne

He was the last match I saw live in person seriously his A-game has to be amongst the best in the world, just flows so beautifully around the table, looks effortless. I like how he tends to peak for the big tournaments as well, that shows a good mental approach.

I still think he's a bit of an annoying hammer though :)