Post a reply

Dafabet Northern Ireland Open last 64 !!!!

Postby Wildey

Image Image Image
Monday 20th ~ Sunday 26th of November at The Waterfront Hall, Belfast

The Ronnie O'Sullivan bandwagon carries on in Belfast as he beat Germany's Lukas Kleckers 4-2 to book a match with Duane Jones of Wales.

But the Champion of Champions Winner Shaun Murphy and Shanghai Masters Runner up Judd Trump has gone.

But joining Ronnie in the last 64 is John Higgins, Neil Robertson, Mark Allen, Jack Lisowski, Stephen Maguire, Anthony McGill, Ali Carter, Mark Williams and Defending Champion Mark King.

Who will survive Wednesday and stay on course for The Alex Higgins Trophy?

DRAW

ORDER OF PLAY

Re: Dafabet Northern Ireland Open last 64 !!!!

Postby Andre147

An O'Sullivan v Allen final here would be great... but long way to go before that can happen.

Even though Allen has lost his last few matches v ROS; I definately think he's not "scared" when he faces, those Worlds and Masters wins prove it. A big match like a final here would definately see how much of that is still true.

Postby Andre147

Even though the UK Champs is next on the list, it's good it's a 2 week tournament. If Ronnie wins thisor reaches the Final, he would only play on Thursday evening 30th, and then in the weekend, Saturday or Sunday. So yeah on second thought I dont think it would hurt his chances that much at the UK.

Also depends if his mathces here demand many mental energy or not. if it's like the EO, then that would suit him.

Postby SnookerFan

I see the 8.05 from West Croydon to Belmont is cancelled. I can wait until the next one at 8.36, which is already showing delayed, or get the 8.14 to Sutton and get a cab the rest of the way. Southern Fail strikes again.

When is my week off again?

Postby Iceman33

Carter- Xiao, Williams- Ford, Lisowski- Walden should be good matches. I`m looking forward to see if Zhao can get few more wins and show some consistency after beating Hawkins yesterday. Also, good luck to Yan, Zhou and the other young players from China.

Postby Dan-cat

TWITTER ATTACK

Steve Davis @stevesnooker
But surely Judd can do what he wants when he's at the table? It's a sport not a betting industry vehicle. Yes by all means fine a player to prove that we want to show that every player is trying their best but when a player "loses it" then surely that is far more fascinating?

Postby Iranu

Dan-cat wrote:TWITTER ATTACK

But surely Judd can do what he wants when he's at the table? It's a sport not a betting industry vehicle. Yes by all means fine a player to prove that we want to show that every player is trying their best but when a player "loses it" then surely that is far more fascinating?

What's he responding to? A tweet someone sent him?

Postby SnookerFan

Dan-cat wrote:TWITTER ATTACK

I'd agree with him, except it's the money from the betting industry that is keeping snooker going.

Also is Steve forgetting the Championship League, with it's "No fans allowed. No TV coverage apart from streams on betting sites" policy? If that's not purely a betting industry vehicle, I don't know what is.

We all want snooker to be a sport and not a betting industry vehicle, but sadly Hearn has seen to it that snooker is at least partially that.

Postby Iranu

Pretty much all major sports are betting industry vehicles and that won't change unless gambling becomes illegal.

Surely the fans are more important in this scenario? Obviously Judd has the right to concede when he wants if he doesn't care about incurring a fine but if you're going to complain surely it should be on the basis of paying fans being "cheated" out of value for money because a player wasn't prepared to try? Yes the betting industry is pumping a lot of money into the sport but considering their business model is literally designed to take money from suckers, it's difficult to feel too sorry for them.

Postby Dan-cat

I'd rather see a bit of drama and a player lose it!

Yes, he was responding to someone moaning about how someone might have had a bet on Carrington getting a 50+ break in the last frame or some such. The tweet has now been deleted.

And yes, the Champions League is a vehicle for betting. It's never pretended to be otherwise. In fact I heard someone call it Barry's gift to the betting industry. The rest of the sport aint though is it? I've never bet on a snooker match.

Postby Cloud Strife

Dan-cat wrote:I'd rather see a bit of drama and a player lose it!

Yes, he was responding to someone moaning about how someone might have had a bet on Carrington getting a 50+ break in the last frame or some such. The tweet has now been deleted.

And yes, the Champions League is a vehicle for betting. It's never pretended to be otherwise. In fact I heard someone call it Barry's gift to the betting industry. The rest of the sport aint though is it? I've never bet on a snooker match.

Couldn't agree with you more. You've absolutely 100% hit the nail on the head.

Postby SnookerFan

Dan-cat wrote:And yes, the Champions League is a vehicle for betting. It's never pretended to be otherwise. In fact I heard someone call it Barry's gift to the betting industry. The rest of the sport aint though is it? I've never bet on a snooker match.

No, I haven't either.

And quite honestly, have little sympathy with people whinging about losing money on bets when stuff like this happens. There's always a the risk of something out of the ordinary happening, that's why it's called gambling. If people want to risk their money, can't complain when it doesn't work. Don't bet, if you can't afford to lose.

Unfortunately, there's always going to be an element of sucking up to betting companies, they are our main sponsor.

Having said all that, the schmoozing up to sponsors is Hearn's job, not Judd's. It really doesn't bother me what Judd did. I don't particularly enjoy it, or get offended by it. It was Judd's decision to make at the end of the day. Who cares?

Postby Dan-cat

Andre147 wrote:How much is the fine? I think it's around £700, something like that. Not that he can't afford it....

I'm not sure. Also, in the same section of the rules it says you can't concede unless you are the striker, but this happens all the time and is obviously ignored...

Postby Andre147

Dan-cat wrote:
Andre147 wrote:How much is the fine? I think it's around £700, something like that. Not that he can't afford it....

I'm not sure. Also, in the same section of the rules it says you can't concede unless you are the striker, but this happens all the time and is obviously ignored...

Yes it is. What you obviously cant do is what Judd did, concede whilst there's enough points on the table to win the frame.