Post a reply

Re: Shanghai Masters to become invitational event

Postby Snooker89

I think its a good idea to make the event invitational but i would question the current prize money structure for this event and china in general.We are told about the viewers and popularity ect but i don't believe the current prize money reflects that. You would think they would aim higher i.e 500k to £1 million to the winner.

Postby Cloud Strife

Hearn wanted a 128 flat draw for this with everyone starting in R1. The Shanghai organizers wanted the traditional staggered draw with the top 16 going straight to the venue.

I guess this is the compromise they've come up with, and it's not a satisfactory one, imo. A ranking event always trumps an invitational every day of the week for me.

Hearn just really annoys me sometimes with his stubbornness. It wasn't enough for him to ruin the UK Championship, he's now massively devalued what was the best tournament in China. <doh>

Postby PLtheRef

mick745 wrote:from 2018.

Top 16 players in world plus next four highest ranked Chinese players and four Chinese amateurs will battle for the richest invitational prize fund.

Does this mean just 19 ranking events in 2018/19?

What do people think about this news?
http://www.worldsnooker.com/shanghai-ma ... t-history/

Bring Back Rodney Walker!

Postby mick745

I thought that after I wrote it.

My point was though that hearn made great play about making 20 ranking events a season, and now one has been replaced by an invitational will an extra one be created to replace it?

Postby Snooker89

Cloud Strife wrote:Hearn wanted a 128 flat draw for this with everyone starting in R1. The Shanghai organizers wanted the traditional staggered draw with the top 16 going straight to the venue.

I guess this is the compromise they've come up with, and it's not a satisfactory one, imo. A ranking event always trumps an invitational every day of the week for me.

Hearn just really annoys me sometimes with his stubbornness. It wasn't enough for him to ruin the UK Championship, he's now massively devalued what was the best tournament in China. <doh>

At the time I was all for the flat 128 but after seeing the logistical problems and top players sometimes going out i think overall it hasn't worked. IMHO the top 16 should be protected for all events but not get ranking points if they loose at the last 32 stage just like in the world championship. I think it would be the best compromise. The logistical problems would be solved and the top players would be at the venue.

Postby Wildey

Cloud Strife wrote:Hearn wanted a 128 flat draw for this with everyone starting in R1. The Shanghai organizers wanted the traditional staggered draw with the top 16 going straight to the venue.

At the moment the ballance is all wrong theres Ranking events all over the place with Shoot out, Players Championship and World Grand Prix ranking events. We need more invitationals to ballance it out.

between now and end of the season theres 11 ranking events and the masters and championship league the only invitationals.

by having less full on rankers you free up the callender so you can actually give players more time between events,

qualifiers takes up 3, 4 or 5 days to play. meaning with invitationals theres no need for qualifiers.

Postby Wildey

Snooker89 wrote:

At the time I was all for the flat 128 but after seeing the logistical problems and top players sometimes going out i think overall it hasn't worked. IMHO the top 16 should be protected for all events but not get ranking points if they loose at the last 32 stage just like in the world championship. I think it would be the best compromise. The logistical problems would be solved and the top players would be at the venue.

to be honest if top players cant get there tough.

not sure how it will help logistics though.

a tournament lasts a week if you reduce the field you reduce the amount of tables and the event lasts just as long or are you sugesting having more 5 day events wednesday to sunday?

Postby SnookerFan

mick745 wrote:from 2018.

Top 16 players in world plus next four highest ranked Chinese players and four Chinese amateurs will battle for the richest invitational prize fund.

Does this mean just 19 ranking events in 2018/19?

What do people think about this news?
http://www.worldsnooker.com/shanghai-ma ... t-history/

Sounds rubbish.

Postby Snooker89

Wildey wrote:
Snooker89 wrote:

to be honest if top players cant get there tough.

not sure how it will help logistics though.

a tournament lasts a week if you reduce the field you reduce the amount of tables and the event lasts just as long or are you sugesting having more 5 day events wednesday to sunday?

The events would still last 1 week as they did before that flat 128 came in but would be less crowded. Bringing 64 players to a venue is too crowded and at the UK Championship the players were never happy with everyone at the venue.

Postby SnookerFan

Badsnookerplayer wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:
Dan-cat wrote:Good call, the Chinese deserve a Masters.

For what? Their ability to send a crowd of 12 to every event? They can't even keep their phones turned off.

Are you Mark Allen in disguise?

It's hardly untrue. There's never any crowds there.

Germany always packs crowds. They get much less tournaments.

Postby Cloud Strife

SnookerFan wrote:
Badsnookerplayer wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:

For what? Their ability to send a crowd of 12 to every event? They can't even keep their phones turned off.

They also pump much less money into the sport.

There's a reason why the German Masters is sponsored by a British gambling company.

Postby Badsnookerplayer

SnookerFan wrote:
Badsnookerplayer wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:

just joshin \hatoff\

Postby Snooker89

Cloud Strife wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:
Badsnookerplayer wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:

They also pump much less money into the sport.

There's a reason why the German Masters is sponsored by a British gambling company.

Its a shame that the likes of Volkswagen,Mercedes etc aren't involved but hopefully one day that will change as i do believe that event has the potential to be a big as the UK Championship.While i do think the Chinese could put up significantly more money than they are their events are still well promoted and presented. The Shanghai Masters to the Northern Ireland open is a massive climbdown.

Postby PLtheRef

I think it's about time that China did have a major invitational event - comparable with the Masters. That said, given we had an invitational in China last season which was changed to become a ranking event it does seem odd

It might well be as some have speculated here that this new format for the Shanghai Masters is the compromise of having an event for the promoter which guarantees an event with the top 16 in the rankings present.

Whether it proves to be as successful as the ranking event remains to be seen. I know Hearn has come into criticism for his stubbornness in insisting that the format needs to be a 128 flat draw - but on the other hand you can't or shouldn't be insisting on a 128 flat draw for the other ranking events, whilst allowing one to pick and choose their format(even if this is a chap, who will chop and change his mind willingly.

For the record I do think seeding players through to the venue stage of a ranking event (but offering no ranking money unless winning through their first round match) would work - given that the previous protection of guaranteed ranking points/money would no longer be there.

A Chinese 'Masters' invitational is long overdue.

Postby eraserhead

Agree with pretty much everything PLtheRef said. Would rather have the China championship become a new invitational and leave the Shanghai masters the way it was.