Post a reply

Re: 188BET Champion of Champions Group 1 !!!

Postby Cloud Strife

SnookerFan wrote:Looking forward to this event, I must say.

I really enjoy the ITV 4 coverage.

So am I.

Remember when we had to wait for months between tournaments under Sir Rodney?

Postby Alex0paul

Pink Ball wrote:

This is a very enjoyable tournament.

You are

Postby SnookerFan

Cloud Strife wrote:

So am I.

Remember when we had to wait for months between tournaments under Sir Rodney?

No we have a few hours....

Even if the tournaments are on a different continent.

Postby PLtheRef

Looks like its going to be a good week in general

I think going out relatively early in Daqing might have helped Ding out here. Certainly you feel its between him and Hawkins for the Semi-Final spot

Postby vodkadiet

Why is it called group 1? It isn't a round robin tournament. It is a flat 16 man knock out event.

The gimmicks they will try to promote an event are ridiculous.

Postby vodkadiet

In fact they should have been more original. They should have had Pink Group, Blue Group, Brown Group, Green Group for the early stages. The players would have to wear waistcoats of these colours. The semis would be Red Group and Yellow Group, and the final Black Group. The Waistcoats indicate the stage of the event or what part of the draw they are playing from/at.

Postby Andre147

vodkadiet wrote:In fact they should have been more original. They should have had Pink Group, Blue Group, Brown Group, Green Group for the early stages. The players would have to wear waistcoats of these colours. The semis would be Red Group and Yellow Group, and the final Black Group. The Waistcoats indicate the stage of the event or what part of the draw they are playing from/at.

That would be a good ideia.

I think at the 2003 British Open they had players wearing red and blue shirts didn't they?

Postby vodkadiet

Andre147 wrote:
vodkadiet wrote:In fact they should have been more original. They should have had Pink Group, Blue Group, Brown Group, Green Group for the early stages. The players would have to wear waistcoats of these colours. The semis would be Red Group and Yellow Group, and the final Black Group. The Waistcoats indicate the stage of the event or what part of the draw they are playing from/at.

I think at the 2003 British Open they had players wearing red and blue shirts didn't they?

I am too old to remember that. I think I have Alzheimers!

Postby Cloud Strife

Andre147 wrote:

Sounds like another silly gimmick to me. Does anyone really care what colour waistcoats the players are wearing?

Hearn would be better served by reverting UK back to what it was or creating a brand new multi-session competition. I want to see some meaningful changes that the fans can get behind, not the superficial nonsense that Hearn seems to love so much.

Postby Andre147

The UK Champs will never return to it's Best of 17 format.

What I'd like to see would be another two day Final, not just the Worlds.

I think an event like the IC or the China Champs could do it, they don't rely on the BBC demands. I definately think this would be a step forward.

Postby SnookerFan

Andre147 wrote:The UK Champs will never return to it's Best of 17 format.

I think an event like the IC or the China Champs could do it, they don't rely on the BBC demands. I definately think this would be a step forward.

I want to see one of those old school snooker finals that went, like, five days.

Have a best of 95, play 19 frames a day. rofl

Postby PLtheRef

Andre147 wrote:The UK Champs will never return to it's Best of 17 format.

I don't think we will, nor do I think that all format changes are done because of pressure put on broadcasters.

When Hearn announced both the Champion of Champions and the International Championship events, both of them he highlighted as having longer finals - Best of 21 the proposal for the Champion of Champions and Best of 25 for the international. I was a sceptic for both - and as has turned out we have had another duo of best of 19 frame finals. Indeed, 19 frames has become more of the norm than it used to be (when the only 19 frame finals were the UK and the Masters.

Postby Andre147

Quite right, I also remember them anouncing Best of 21 and 25, but it never became true, it doesn't surprise me though.

When Hearn frst became chairman he also said he would never "touch" the formats of the Worlds, Masters and UK, and then he turned the UK into crap. The only thing that saves the UK is it's rich history.

Postby Cloud Strife

Looking forward to this.

I have to say though, it does feel abit strange having guys like Anthony Hamilton and Mark King in an event like this. Then again we did have Rory in previous years. Sort of reduces the prestige of a tournament when journeymen are present.

Perhaps the answer is to reduce the field to eight players and invite winners of the big events only. No more local league winners and village champions.

Postby SnookerFan

Cloud Strife wrote:Looking forward to this.

I have to say though, it does feel abit strange having guys like Anthony Hamilton and Mark King in an event like this. Then again we did have Rory in previous years. Sort of reduces the prestige of a tournament when journeymen are present.

Perhaps the answer is to reduce the field to eight players and invite winners of the big events only. No more local league winners and village champions.

It's an event where ranking event winners get invited.

You can hardly go to Mark King; "Well, you won the Northern Ireland Open, but you're not an All Time Great, so we're not allowing you to enter....."

Postby SnookerFan

Cloud Strife wrote:Perhaps the answer is to reduce the field to eight players and invite winners of the big events only. No more local league winners and village champions.

I wouldn't be against this sort of thing, per se.

But then, what are the eight tournaments you'd refer to as the biggest? And what happens if one of the players wins more than one of those tournaments?

Postby gcjdavid

SnookerFan wrote:
Cloud Strife wrote:Perhaps the answer is to reduce the field to eight players and invite winners of the big events only. No more local league winners and village champions.

I wouldn't be against this sort of thing, per se.

But then, what are the eight tournaments you'd refer to as the biggest? And what happens if one of the players wins more than one of those tournaments?

Fill up the draw using the rankings?

Postby SnookerFan

gcjdavid wrote:
Fill up the draw using the rankings?

I guess.

Though when that happens with the CoC, people moan that there are people there who haven't won a trophy.

We get people like Mark King in who has won a trophy, and people moan because he's Mark King.

It's a difficult thing to get right.