Post a reply

Your favourite ever professional match?

Postby mick745

What is your favourite ever professional match and why? Is there a match you re-watch over and over again? Do you watch old matches?

Is it a match where both players slugged it out at the peak of their abilities? Or a match where there was a fantastic come-back? or maybe when one player produces a near faultless display and blows his opponent away?

I have a huge number of matches on video and DVD but I think the one I watch most often is the 2006 Masters Final when John Higgins produced an incredible clearance to win from 0-60 in the final frame 10-9. Despite the fact that the 2 players should have dominated the sport for 20 years we had very few major finals contested between them, with one paltry World Final in 2001.

On this occasion though they produced wonderful snooker for 19 frames.

Re: Your favourite ever professional match?

Postby Cloud Strife

Hendry 17-13 Ronnie 1999 World Championship Semi-final

I was so nervous before this match and absolutely gutted afterwards. I don't recall ever feeling as hyped for a snooker match as this one. Also of course the standard at times was ridiculous especially the third session.

It was also the era of the 'Big Four', my favourite era in snooker.

Postby TheRocket

O'Sullivan 17:4 Hendry 2004 World Championship semifinals

Still the best Snooker I've seen any player play in a four session match.

And have to say that I've always enjoyed watching matches of the Big 4. That Hendry-Ronnie match in 1999, the 2001 World final or the Mastersfinals 2005 and 2006 are on my list as well.

Postby Andre147

Hendry v Ronnie, 1999 Worlds, 2002 Worlds, 2004 Worlds and 2008 Worlds.

1997 Masters Final, 2005 and 2006 Finals as well.

That MJW v Lee match at the China Open is also on my list. MJW made 4 tons and still lost it, Lee won on the last black.

Postby SnookerFan

Andre147 wrote:Hendry v Ronnie, 1999 Worlds, 2002 Worlds, 2004 Worlds and 2008 Worlds.

1997 Masters Final, 2005 and 2006 Finals as well.

That MJW v Lee match at the China Open is also on my list. MJW made 4 tons and still lost it, Lee won on the last black.

Yes, that Williams vs Lee was the best ever best of nine.

Postby Alex0paul

Incredibly tough question and very hard to narrow it to just one.

I'd include Doherty v Hunter WC 2003, Selby v Murphy WC 2007, Dott v Stevens WC 2004 and Liang v Swail WC 2008 in the debate.

Postby Andre147

Higgins v Stevens at the Worlds must also be included here... I think we saw one of the greatest standards in that match that will probably ever be... 2001 or 2001 think it was.

Trump v Robertson at The Masters as well, think Trump made 4 tons and Robbo 2 in that Best of 11 Quarter-Final.

Postby Alex0paul

Pink Ball wrote:Neil Robertson giving it his all against Robbie Williams but falling heroically short to one of the greats.

What about Selby overcoming all the odds to beat Robbie Williams?

Postby TheRocket

What about the Stevens-Ebdon WC 2002 semi?

Might have been the most incredible match ever. Stevens making 17 50+ breaks and still end up losing 17:16. And that 31th frame must have been one of the most dramatic frames in Snooker history.