Post a reply

Brecel to get on the main tour for 2010/11 ??

Postby Witz78

The 15 year old Belgian wonderkid won the European Championship last week and yet again has earned a ESBA main tour nomination, following on from the one he got last year following his European Under-19 title.

It was expected that this time, as with last year, Brecel would simply be told he was still too young (under 16 years) and be told to try again next year.

However there are now rumours that Brecel will be fast tracked onto the main tour this season, since he has earned the place by right (for a 2nd season in a row) and that he would be a great addition to tour since hes such a great young talent, as well as being European which is important as Hearn looks to expand the game on the continent.

Word on the street is that Hearn will find a way around the red tape that prevents Brecel taking his main tour place and i hope this comes true.

Brecel already has wins over main tour pros White, Perry, Doherty, Hendry, Haneveer to his name as well as 15 amateur titles under his belt and is clearly ready to take his place on the main tour in terms of ability.

I dont see why he cant play on the main tour, as the argument that his education will suffer doesnt wash with me. Currently hes playing all over the place in far more tournaments on the amateur circuit anyway. By setting up base in the UK and getting on the main tour the now and fully focusing on his game before inevitable distractions appear, his career has the best potential. Tennis players and other sports stars emerge before they are 16 so i cant see why snooker cant follow suit.

Re: Brecel to get on the main tour for 2010/11 ??

Postby Witz78

case_master wrote:I think Murphy was 15 when he turned pro

Correct <ok>

It was actually 2 years before his dad got on the board so for once Murphy wasnt benefiting through his father (easy R1 draw cough cough....... :john: ) so im not sure why Murphy was allowed to turn pro aged 15 in 1997 :huh:

Then again his dad probably already had some influence even before he became a member of the board rofl

Postby Casey

I have no problem with his age. However his management team would need to get it right from the off, i have heard he is a very quiet fella. To the point were 'some' would consider him arrogant. (note this is not my own opinion, I have never seen him interviewed or anything) The crowds can be very unforgiving so he could possibly do with some media training to get the crowd onside.

Postby Roland

There's no harm in waiting, I can see why people around him would want him to hang fire for another year or two, however I'm sure Luca himself is more than up for turning pro and it is inevitable he will eventually. I'm pleased he's developing because I remember hearing about him when he was 10 or 11 and right now he looks set to be one truely devastating player who could dominate the game for years.

Postby Alex0paul

Selby was on at 15 too. I reckon he should wait until he is old enough to gain full professional status but should compete a full season in the PTC events as a sort of apprenticeship. Yes he has won two main tour nominations but they were arguably the weakest spots available.

Postby Wildey

im torn on this i see both sides.

i think put him in some PTC like Alex said is the best way to nurture his Talent.

Postby Wildey

im going to post this here source TSF

EurosportRussia wrote:Letter to David Hendon, 110Sport, Jenny Watkins, World Snooker

Good morning, David…

I’ve decided to write this letter to you, as you are of direct relevance to the Eurosport channel.

The core of the subject is following: after Luca Brecel had won the European championship, Vladimir Sinitsyn, a commentator of Russian Eurosport, posted the analytical article (http://forums.eurosport.ru/showpost....ostcount=22342).

One of the message board visitors noted that mr. Sinitsyn’s point of view implied some disrespectful stance toward Brecel. The commentator’s answer was following

Vladimir Borisovich Sinitsyn (nick: Borisych52)

For those who want to understand more: even if(!) Brecel should appear in the Main Tour, it will only mean that there will be another one of brain-sick pros (his diagnosis “autism” is the official one). I haven’t written this in my previous post. Any analysis will prove that Luca have won not because he have played better than his opponents. I had the circumstantial conversation about the championships with its participants only yesterday. They confirmed this. It’s just very difficult to play against the sick person. There already is one “genius” of such kind. Instead of breeding another one, we should think of the fastest way to get rid of the former (to sanitize the atmosphere)

Once again: for those who want to understand more.

And actually, the discussions are not foreseen in this thread. So don’t be angry if I delete something.

Russian version just in case to check my words (http://forums.eurosport.ru/showpost....ostcount=22346),

Владимир Борисович Синицын (ник Борисыч52):

Для тех, кто хочет понять больше: если вдруг (!) когда-то Бресел окажется в мэйн-туре, то появится ещё один больной на голову профи (диагноз "аутизм" ему поставлен официально). Это я не стал писать. Любой анализ показывает, что Люка выиграл совсем не потому, что играл лучше соперников. Только вчера обстоятельно беседовал о чемпионате с его участниками. Они это подтвердили. Просто против больного играть непросто. Один такой "гений" уже есть. Вместо того, чтобы плодить второго, нужно думать, как побыстрее избавиться от первого (ради оздоровления атмосферы).

Ещё раз: это для тех, кто хочет что-то понять глубже

А вообще-то, на этой ветке дискуссии не предусмотрены. Если что, не серчайте на меня, если что-то удалю.

He allowed himself to write such posts not only about Brecel, but about the other famous players as well: O’Sullivan, Stevens, Robertson, Carter.

Could any measures be taken or the headquarters of Eurosport influence him?

Eurosport is the only channel to cover snooker in Russia, Ukraine and Belorussia. And Vladimir Sinitsyn is virtually the only commentator (except for the very rare appearances of mr. Kuzmin, another commentator). And a lot of fans get perception about snooker and snooker players from mr. Sinittsyn’s words. I’m also sending this letter with all the attachments to 110Sport, Jenny Watkins, World Snooker headquarters.

Viktor

Postby Monique

case_master wrote:<laugh> <laugh>

You shouldn't laugh Case. The way millions of people in Russia and Ukraine view the sport and the players is through this man's comments because many don't speak English at all.

Postby Wildey

case laughed at sonny slightly flippant comment i don't know if it was meant in a flippant way but it comes over that way.

im not laughing thats for sure to even say that as a respected commentator was disgraceful what he virtually saying is "We don't want another nutty snooker player on tour" as reference to Ronnie.

Postby markj147

I am surprised this man is still working considering her has made numerous faux pas in the past from what I have read.

A disgraceful comment. He doesn't deserve his position as the voice of snooker to Russia and Ukraine.

Postby paperbackwriter

When it comes to twisting reality, some countries have more important matters to deal with than incompetent commentators.
(What's more, in Russia nad Ukraine there're also many open-minded people who speak English brilliantly and who are conscious enough to know when someone's talking nonsense. I'd guess that there're more snooker fans- or even snooker observers- among them than among non-English speakers who could be blinded by Sinitsyn's opinions.)

Postby Wildey

paperbackwriter

thats not a opinion of Sinitsyn's.... opinion is where there is a element of truth in it but to call people of all sex and age with autism as nuttars or brain sick is just so dam cruel and it breeds schoolyard bullieng.

Postby Tubberlad

wildJONESEYE wrote:paperbackwriter

thats not a opinion of Sinitsyn's.... opinion is where there is a element of truth in it but to call people of all sex and age with autism as nuttars or brain sick is just so dam cruel and it breeds schoolyard bullieng.

Very, very true. A person with such a high standing has the power to make these views of those with autism seem almost acceptable. They are not.

Postby João_SnookerPlanet

What a cruel and disgraceful character this Sinitsyn is...
At least he could respect Luca and express his opinion with some dignity. Also, even if I don't understand Russian, I can't stand to hear his comments. And this man is having a big impact in Eastern Europe :grrr: ...what a disgrace for snooker.
I hope he'll be forced to quit Eurosport's studios after this.

That's one of the big problems with Eurosport. They have had a tremendous impact in Continental Europe and snooker has grown a lot because of them, but they have serious problems with selecting the commentators. Many of them don't even know the rules and those who know snooker's history and understand the game properly are even rarer. Huge lack of professionalism.

Postby Wildey

João_SnookerPlanet wrote:What a cruel and disgraceful character this Sinitsyn is...
At least he could respect Luca and express his opinion with some dignity. Also, even if I don't understand Russian, I can't stand to hear his comments. And this man is having a big impact in Eastern Europe :grrr: ...what a disgrace for snooker.
I hope he'll be forced to quit Eurosport's studios after this.

That's one of the big problems with Eurosport. They have had a tremendous impact in Continental Europe and snooker has grown a lot because of them, but they have serious problems with selecting the commentators. Many of them don't even know the rules and those who know snooker's history and understand the game properly are even rarer. Huge lack of professionalism.

i guess languages is more important than knowledge in selecting commentators.

in english we are lucky we have people thats played and won at top level in other countries they haven't.

Postby Casey

Monique wrote:
case_master wrote:<laugh> <laugh>

You shouldn't laugh Case. The way millions of people in Russia and Ukraine view the sport and the players is through this man's comments because many don't speak English at all.

I was laughing at Sonny's comment :)

Postby paperbackwriter

João_SnookerPlanet wrote:That's one of the big problems with Eurosport. They have had a tremendous impact in Continental Europe and snooker has grown a lot because of them, but they have serious problems with selecting the commentators. Many of them don't even know the rules and those who know snooker's history and understand the game properly are even rarer. Huge lack of professionalism.

I guess we're lucky in Poland then because our commentators are really great. They not only understand the game and know it's history but they're also funny and natural. Actually, when someone Polish is asked why he likes snooker in my presence, his/her answer usually ends with "and the commentators on Eurosport are so good".
(And same applies to other sports- tennis, cycling, biathlon. In Poland Eurosport really has the best sport's commentators.)

As for Sinitsyn, of course people like him shouldn't be admitted to such important positions but I still don't believe that he will really pay for what he said- again, in some countries changes take time and, I'm afraid, even more wrongdoings.

Postby João_SnookerPlanet

I believe in some countries Eurosport selects good commentators (like in Poland, as you mentioned), but in other countries that's not the case.
In Portugal, for example, we have 2 commentators: the first one is there since a long time and even if he's not a super expert he knows what he's talking about and understands the game; the other one was chosen because of his communicating skills (he's journalist and he used to work with tv and radio), but believe it or not he started watching snooker in 2009!!! He's getting better now but still in my opinion not very professional to select a man who didn't have any contact at all with the sport, he was only related to pool, not snooker.
In France there's a different commentator in every match. A couple on them are okay but I've also heard the worst commentators ever.
I would really like to know if Eurosport does some kind of knowlegde tests before selecting their commentators. Personally, I don't think they do that (or only in a few countries). It's even more incredible to think that many commentators say such stupid things when they have millions of papers with stats and info about the players, tournaments etc to help them.
Last edited by João_SnookerPlanet on 10 Jun 2010, edited 1 time in total.

Postby SnookerFan

João_SnookerPlanet wrote:Look at this (at 2.25): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WXRX4Qmlq0U
The french commentator says: "Good position. Which ball is going to take on? The blue? The yellow? Oh the pink!" (after Ronnie played the shot)

<doh> <doh> <doh> <doh> <doh>

To be honest, the commentators on British Eurosport were never the greatest, and have heard them claim something was match-ball when it wasn't. I even heard one claim that Steve Davis won The Masters in 2003, then was corrected, and said; "Sorry, I meant to say 1997". Overshooting by that much was particularly unacceptable as most fans at home would've known Steve Davis last won it in 1997, it was such a famous match. However, at least the commentators pretty much understand the rules, even their history/ability to do the maths is a bit off, it sounds like him some countries they barely know the names of the people playong. <laugh>

Postby Casey

I can’t wait to play against my friend Jamie Clarke in the first round and I have a feeling I am going to win this tournament,

This is why it is better he plays on the PTC, so he can get used to a few defeats away from the TV cameras

Postby Wildey

case_master wrote:
I can’t wait to play against my friend Jamie Clarke in the first round and I have a feeling I am going to win this tournament,

This is why it is better he plays on the PTC, so he can get used to a few defeats away from the TV cameras

Absalutly

what Arrogant statement that is having played only 1 PTC and winning 0 frames. that is the exact thing that will hold him back if he starts to question himself when losing will become the norm for him.....How he can cope with them is the key to success.

Postby Wildey

Sonny wrote:Arrogant statement? Ever heard of autism? http://snookerscene.blogspot.com/2010/0 ... sport.html

i know but you cant say a statement isnt aragant if someone with autism says it the statement was aragant no getting away from that yes autism means he sometimes says things in wrong context.

but no excuses we all know the press will not report it in the right context