Who do you rate as the better player?

James Wattana
13%
Matthew Stevens
38%
Marco Fu
50%

Total votes : 8

Re: Who do you rate as the better player? (part 3)

Postby TheRocket

Its really hard to choose between Stevens and Fu imo.

In terms of pure ability or talent its definitely Stevens for me. He has outplayed and destroyed everyone of the big four at least once in his career. And all that at the World or UK. Even in the 2000 world final he did outplay Williams but then obviously did what he does best. Choking the match away.

Fu isnt a mental warrior either but surely stronger than Matthew in that department. The reason why he never won a major is simply the lack of a B-game and the inconsistency. But overall he's definitely the best scorer out of the three.

Postby TheRocket

Cloud Strife wrote:It's ridiculous to think Stevens only ever won a single, solitary ranking title in his entire career.

Definitely one of the biggest underachievers ever.

Imo he's the third biggest underachiever. After Ronnie and Jimmy

Postby Andre147

Alex0paul wrote:Had Stevens played his peak in this current era he'd have won 4 or 5 ranking events

Or even more with the amount of tournaments nowadays.

I do agree when we think of it 1 single ranker won seems a travesty for a player of his calibre.

Postby kolompar

I wanted to make one of these threads with Stevens, Dott, Bingham, Fu and maybe Lee because they are around the same age but Wattana is a good addtion too.
Not that I can choose from them, I wasn't following snooker when Stevens or Wattana were successful and they have been poor in the last few years while Fu was also a top 16 player in the early noughties and is still doing well, although he hasn't won any big tournies like Stevens.

Postby SnookerFan

kolompar wrote:I wanted to make one of these threads with Stevens, Dott, Bingham, Fu and maybe Lee because they are around the same age but Wattana is a good addtion too.
Not that I can choose from them, I wasn't following snooker when Stevens or Wattana were successful and they have been poor in the last few years while Fu was also a top 16 player in the early noughties and is still doing well, although he hasn't won any big tournies like Stevens.

I'd go either Dott or Bingham, for World Championship reasons.

Postby kolompar

Hard to choose from them, they all had periods when they were among the best in the world but also others when they were embarrassing.
You can find stats in favor of each like Stevens won the most Triple Crowns or Fu made the most centuries.