Post a reply

Re: English Open Day Four

Postby sundaygirl

Matthew Stevens playing Judd Trump @3 hoping this starts late or I won’t be back from my appointment in time to see it

Postby SnookerFan

sundaygirl wrote:Matthew Stevens playing Judd Trump @3 hoping this starts late or I won’t be back from my appointment in time to see it

A lot of the matches seem to be starting late, so you may be in luck.

#jinxedit

Postby SnookerFan

Badsnookerplayer wrote:
Cloud Strife wrote:Lisowski the first man to win a frame today.

Lisowski seems to be starting to string some results together.
Good luck to him

It's about time.

Postby Dan-cat

SnookerFan wrote:Is the 147 still special?

https://www.thesportsman.com/articles/d ... n-barnsley

40Gs special!!!

This is actually a good piece of journalism. :hatoff: to The Sportsman. Thank u SF.

'Still special?

There have now been 132 professional maximum breaks made in the history of the sport and with this number accelerating at a faster rate than ever before over the past decade, it creates a debate as to whether the 147 is the holy grail achievement it once was.

Way back in 1982 when Steve Davis OBE compiled the first ever perfect break in the Lada Classic it was a milestone moment in the history of the game. After this, it remained a rare feat with only three more made in the next five years. It wasn’t until 1988 that more than one was made in a calendar year.
But as the years went by with the standard of break-building improving and finer clothes helping players to move the white ball around the table more easily, the 147 has become more frequent and with it less of a headline maker.

By 1999, it was achieved 10 times in a single year and a record haul of 11 were made in 2012.
There’s no doubt that an increased number of events has also helped to see more 147s made with 70 being compiled in the previous 10 years.

With stats at this level, it’s hard to suggest that the 147 break retains the level of mystique it once did but for an individual player it remains a big deal, there’s no doubt.

Rather than take this achievement for granted and simply chalk another up on the board without much enthusiasm, why not marvel in the fact that the game is being played to such a high standard that we get to see this great act of snooker mastery more than ever before.'

Postby SnookerFan

A bit out of the loop. Only seen bits and bobs of this tournament I am travelling to on Friday.

Are there 10am matches today? Who is playing who?

Last 16 tonight, isn't it? So two matches a day?

Is his best of nine tomorrow, or best of seven? Remind me.

Postby Wildey

No Getting away from it there is no way its as special as it once was i can remember the look of amazement or disbalief on the facces of Steve Davis, Kirk Stevens and Cliff Thorburn when they did it.

These days we count breaks of 65 as a Maximum Atempt just because its all blacks.

Postby Wildey

SnookerFan wrote:A bit out of the loop. Only seen bits and bobs of this tournament I am travelling to on Friday.

Are there 10am matches today? Who is playing who?

Last 16 tonight, isn't it? So two matches a day?

Is his best of nine tomorrow, or best of seven? Remind me.

Best of 9s tomorrow

Postby SnookerFan

Wildey wrote:No Getting away from it there is no way its as special as it once was i can remember the look of amazement or disbalief on the facces of Steve Davis, Kirk Stevens and Cliff Thorburn when they did it.

These days we count breaks of 65 as a Maximum Atempt just because its all blacks.

The BBC are worse for that. As soon as somebody pots the first red, if they get on the black the graphic goes up.

Postby Andre147

Is this Lisowski's time to finally shine? With him it's never a sure thing as he as wasted golden opportunities down the years, but recently been getting good results.

Still only The Last 32 of a ranking event, long way to go.