Post a reply

What should we do about this phone problem?

Postby SnookerFan

Clearly the Chinese crowds don't care about the rules regarding having phones on silent. As I type this now, I see people in the crowd using their phone.

Should World Snooker just throw out anybody who has their phone go off, no exceptions?

Re: What should we do about this phone problem?

Postby SnookerFan

Disagree. Needs sorting.

This is a serious snooker tournament, not two blokes playing down the pub.

If it were up to me, there'd be no earpieces either. But the TV companies get too much money out of them.

Postby Andy Spark

At Augusta National golf course during the Masters golf Championship you aren't even allowed to bring in a mobile.

I think a reasonable solution is not really to go straight away to a draconian ban on all mobile phones, but if one does go off, kill him in front of everyone else as a warning to future offenders.

Postby SnookerFan

Andy Spark wrote:I think a reasonable solution is not really to go straight away to a draconian ban on all mobile phones, but if one does go off, kill him in front of everyone else as a warning to future offenders.

For once,I agree with you.

Postby PLtheRef

It should be as straight forward as if your phone disturbs play then out you go. At least that way it would be consistent and it wouldn't take long for people to get the message.

Postby Wildey

PLtheRef wrote:It should be as straight forward as if your phone disturbs play then out you go. At least that way it would be consistent and it wouldn't take long for people to get the message.

its common sense isnt it however thats something thats lacking in World Snooker

Postby SnookerFan

Wildey wrote:
PLtheRef wrote:It should be as straight forward as if your phone disturbs play then out you go. At least that way it would be consistent and it wouldn't take long for people to get the message.

Pretty much.

Yesterday morning, the ref nearly did herself an injury shouting at fans.

Postby TheSaviour

Hopefully they never will arrange a ranking tournament in Iceland; I am telling you, they are the worst possible people with the phones. I know a reasonable intelligently looking a youngish man originally from Iceland and he has single-handledly almost closed down a library I am mostly using. When there should be a silenzio.

The Chinese are not that bad with the phones, I am telling you. Generally speaking. I mean some people do have a very irritating tendency to play with it. When they should not. Just do what you always do when the people are around. That´s the only way the get any progress. It´s not a creative to just to try to do something. What just happens to be topical on the day. Instead of making a proper and a SOLID progress.

Seems the guys are awaiting that final missing bridge and the link between the current snooker and the 90s.. Which would make all the people laughing and laughing and laughing. I won´t be bothered to bring it on. Because things would probably again spiral out of the control and I would again feel the pressure to make those bridges day in, day out. Which is not the good thing, and you can tell that from my posting history too.

The people should just try to behave. If they don´t, I am telling you, we seriously do have a teams. When now it is all against the one. Weeelllll, I can handle this current situation too. Regardless if they mean to attack or to defence, I know what´s up and can handle it. As long as there won´t be a ranking tournament in Iceland.

Postby Badsnookerplayer

It's unforgivable to have your phone on inside the arena, and should be dealt with by zero tolerance.

It also pisses me off in snooker club when 'players' are on their phone in a game when it is not their shot. I might be a grumpy old git and it is none of my business, but I think that the etiquette of any sport is important and needs to be protected and respected.

Postby Dan-cat

Badsnookerplayer wrote:It's unforgivable to have your phone on inside the arena, and should be dealt with by zero tolerance.

It also pisses me off in snooker club when 'players' are on their phone in a game when it is not their shot. I might be a grumpy old git and it is none of my business, but I think that the etiquette of any sport is important and needs to be protected and respected.

Was playing this guy at my local bar Rolling Stock in Shoreditch last week and he was on his phone the whole time, I was annoyed. Then I saw what he was doing - he was shazamming the tracks the DJ was putting on. The resident DJ is an absolute boss with ace tunes so I forgave him instantly.

Postby Dan-cat

SnookerFan wrote:
Dan-cat wrote:Then I saw what he was doing - he was shazamming the tracks the DJ was putting on.

And, in English? :|

Shazam is a brilliant app, it's been around for years now. It tells you what song is playing. So, you're in a pub / club / restaurant / taxi etc, an ace tune comes on, you open shazam and within a few seconds it's told you what it is, with an option to buy direct from iTunes or add to a spotify playlist. It works by pattern matching the waveform, which is unique to every song (it gets it wrong occasionally, but rarely.)

When Shazam first launched it was one of those moments for me when I realised that technology had started to get really useful. A few years ago I got into a nasty habit of shazamming and buying tunes from itunes often while out inebriated and the next morning realise I'd spent £20 on tunes I half-liked.

Postby PLtheRef

Wildey wrote:

Far from me defending the phone issue but I can only assume that the reluctance to deal with the issue comes from the fact that people pay a good deal of money to watch the snooker - particularly in China.

Not that that excuses it in anyway. With the ever increasing prizes in the game the chances are that a bad timed phone going off are going to prove very costly.