Post a reply

Your experiences of the game

Postby Tubberlad

It's probably something that's been brought up many times before, but what kind of experiences have you had of snooker? For me, it's been a bit of a love affair since I was just six years old, I've spent many hours watching, many hours hoping, many hours praying and many hours dreaming about the game. With the exception of women, snooker probably takes up more time than anything else in my mind. You wouldn't believe how many times I've cleared the table in the deciding frame of the Bank Holiday Monday within the confines of my mind. And I'm sure that's true for a lot of people out there.

I became entranced for the first time in 1999, in an effort to quench my boredom. If I remember right, it was John Higgins who was in action, don't ask me who against, and I was mesmerised almost at once. The colours, the vast cloth, the hushed atmosphere, the satisfying clicks from cue to cueball to object ball and finally the clatter of the pocket. It was almost hypnotic, and thoroughly enthralling. I was transfixed for the rest of the event, and it's stayed that way, never really in doubt. I'll never forget my mom waking me up to tell me that Stephen Hendry had won the title, and I for one was a very happy young man.

My favourite memories of the game? Well, I suppose Matthew Stevens winning the UK Championship in 2003 springs to mind quickly, to be more precise sinking the winning pink from a very tough angle. I thought it would be the first of many ranking titles for my undisputed favourite player, but unfortunately things haven't gone that way for him. Also, Doherty's stunning comebacks throughout the 2003 World Championship, and particularly his semi-final win. As an Irishman, I was very disappointed to not see him take the title, but looking back now I'm happy it was Williams who won out. He was a man posessed that year, and a second World Title was no more than he deserved. Ronnie O'Sullivan was never a favourite of mine until he won me over with a stunning display against the great man Hendry in the 2008 semi-final. It was orgasmic snooker to be a bit crude about it, but it's the only word I can find fit to describe it. I was also very happy to see Neil Robertson win the Championship this year.

My worst memories can be split into two parts. From an on-table perspective, Matthew Stevens losing the 2005 World Final was a hard one to stomach. I was delighted by his progress, and when he faced a little known qualifier in the final, it never even crossed my mind he would lose. At 10-6, it was job done as far as I concerned. Watching Murphy fight back and take a deserved win (if I'm being totally honest with myself) was a gut wrencher. However, the tragic death of Paul Hunter just over a year later highlighted just how meaningless all that was. Hunter was a guy I was lucky enought to meet, a nice bloke and a smashing player. His family and the game lost a great star. I don't think Stevens has been the same since, and his 2007 loss to Murphy was the final nail for him. Recent events surrounding the game have also been a big disappointment, but I will not get into them now.

In terms of playing, I always enjoyed, and by the age of 12 had hit a 49 break on the day we got our Christmas Holidays. Unfortunately, our local club shut down after Christmas, and the 40 minute trip to the next nearest was never going to work. The 49 remains my best effort, and is likely to remain that way for quite some time.

So, what about the rest of you? Any similar experiences? Or any great stories? Please post.

Re: Your experiences of the game

Postby SnookerFan

Getting to meet a lot of the players stands out. I actually got caught live on BBC and Eurosport when I was at The Masters, and I leaned over and got Ken Doherty's autograph after he beat Mark Williams in the first round. Met him a few times and he's a top bloke.

I get kind of used to meeting them now at various events, they are all so accessible. Meeting Michaela for the first time gave me a buzz, and still does every time I meet her. She's a beautiful woman, but always smiles and makes the men that are there to perv her feel like they are witty urbane men, when really they are just talking rubbish usually. <laugh>

The comraederie amongst players, by and large, never ceases to amaze me. Snooker is like a big community. Even at the Legends of Snooker I attended in Redhill lately, my friend went for the first time to live snooker, and told me it's a night she'll never forget. At one point I interacted with John Parrot. He potted the brown, but ran out of position on the blue, to which he turned round and said to the crowd; "What am I supposed to do now?" I shouted; "Pot the blue!" He turned back and said; "I know that, thanks mate."

I've got a ton of memories about snooker players and personalities met. Mostly good. One or two ones where I've thought; "Cor what a mug that guy was." The best place for doing so is The Crucible Theatre, Sheffield. The first time I went I couldn't believe the atmosphere of the place, words can't explain it and nothing on commentary can prepare you for your first visit. Some of the times spent there are the best hours of my life, and waiting by the players entrance and exit is an interesting cultural experience for the fans as well as the players. <laugh>
Last edited by SnookerFan on 29 Jun 2010, edited 2 times in total.

Postby SnookerFan

I've met, seen play a hell of a lot of players in the last few seasons. Tends to be a pleasure usually. I've never met Ronnie, but not tried too hard. He's impossible to get at, as fans swarm round him at times.

I did see him get out of a car once, 15 minutes before a match at The Crucible, without really being ready and security rushed him past a lot of disappointed looking fans. <laugh>

A funny story from Telford last year was I was hanging round outside the TIC because the matches didn't start until 1pm, so I thought I'd go after getting my hotel fry up to collect autographs. Anyway, there's this old guy there who in his retirement collects autographs, of everybody. He always tells me in a strong Birmingham accent how he's collected autographs of Bobby Davro and Anita Dobson. <laugh> Every time a player came round, we bundled up to them for autographs. He's there every year... Anyway, at one point, on a day Liang Wenbo was scheduled to be playing. And a short little Chinese lad was walking around, but only had his back to me. The guy says; "That's the little Chinese kid that's playing today." So I tore up to the guy, patted him on his shoulder and asked for his autograph. Anyway, he turns round a bit confused, and signs it and I come back marvelling that he doesn't look much like he does on TV... It sank in later, when I saw Liang Wenbo being introduced later, I had probably just asked some random Chinese person for their autograph. By all the autgraphs in my book, I write the name of the person, and the date I got it... By that one it says; "Liang Wenbo, I think." <laugh>

Snooker players are so accessible, for the most part, so lots of memories can come of attending. Wembley is crap at it, they don't let you in until like 45 minutes before games. So you never meet any people. But I did see Michaela Tabb on the other side of the arena once, strolling around in the foyer. I subtly shouted; "Michaela" and she turned and saw a big fat guy running towards her and panting, going; "Can I have your autograph?" She was very accomodating.

Not all are, Steve Davis was in a bad mood when I met him. It was at The Crucible, and I was getting his autograph, and I said; "Gonna make it seven this year, Steve?" He grumped; "I'm going to try, it's not as easy as you make out." I was going to try and rectify it by saying he made it look easy in the 1980s, but thought he might have taken that wrong.... It'd have upset me as a fan of Steve's, but my mate was with me and we both snake hissed ourselve laughing at it. We now have a "We got a bollocking off of Steve Davis" story. So, in a weird way, being told off has become almost a nice memory in itself.

And, possibly the most embarrassing time was when I got my photo taken with Mark Selby. I got a fellow autograph hunter to take it, and I stood next to Selby and tried to get my arm on his back so we'd get into the photo... But I underestimated how tall he was and put my hand on his bum by accident... The result was a photo of me looking a bit scared, but Selby look strangely happy. :ashamed:

Postby Wildey

Tubber and snookerfan nice stories and wish i could match those but ill be honest i feel a bit intimidated with those stories im struggling to match them lol

Postby SnookerFan

wildJONESEYE wrote:Tubber and snookerfan nice stories and wish i could match those but ill be honest i feel a bit intimidated with those stories im struggling to match them lol

To be fair, I probably sounded like I was showing off. <laugh> "Look at all the players I've met."

But when you break it down, my stories have involved accidentally groping Selby, purposely stalking the leading female referee and not meeting Liang Wenbo. rofl Not exactly top notch stuff, just me being my usual boorish self.

Besides, this is more of a what snooker means to you thread... How did you first get into it Wild? Who was your favourite player?

Postby gallantrabbit

I had a terrific night at a Jimmy Alex exhibition in 92 I think. my mate got tickets so we nipped off on a Thursday night down to Windsor. However we were a little late so just had time to get a pint in before the pair were introduced. The venue was a snooker club with a big open side matchroom with a fair bit of seating. We went looking for a couple of seats but they'd all been taken. Sold out and some. When the players weren't at the table they kind of lurked at the entrance to a little side room, just inside there was a little table for their drinks, smokes etc. So my mate suggests that we 'dwell' over that way. Of course we thought we'd be pulled away straight off, but despite a few sideways glances from officials managers alike we seemed to get away with it.
Jimmy was buzing at the time. he'd had that nightmare in the 92 world final but had started the season well and had won over 300 grand in just over a month from I think the Grand Prix, World Matchplay and one or two others. He rolled in a ton first shot and was hitting the ball beautifully. The officials were leaving us alone so I started chatting to Jim inbetween shots. I tried to with Alex too, but he was having a nightmare on the baize and not a happy fellow, so I was a little wary. Well I tell you Jim was an absolute gent and chatted a way the whole exhibition. He got a little 'humpy' with Higgins a few times because the game was supposed to be best of 11 I think and at 5 down Higgins announced to the crowd a new best of 9 for a pound a point.. Jim mentioned that this was why he rarely toured with the Hurricane. Jim let him have a frame or two and Higgy even managed a 60 at one point, but Jimmy tanked him with 3 centuries to boot.
After the game was over Jimmy didn't hang around. I bid him farewell, wished him well and told him he was a gent. Alex hung around a little more but only cos of a 20 year old hostess from the club. Me and my mate had a chat with the put upon Doug Perry, Higgy's manager. Poor bloke he didn't stand a chance, he had a permanent worried expression on his face about what Alex would say or do.
What a night and did we drink. For Windsor Eaton and Europe :D , but what a buzz ;)

Postby gallantrabbit

Next up was an exhibition at King's Cross with just Higgy. I was due to play him in a frame, but club politics somehow got me put back in the firing line so I missed out. It must have been about 94/5 and Higgins was spiralling. But Higgins was Legend and I still wanted to see him.
Well he didn't impress much on the table unfortunately, but he played a few guys who were weekenders so that helped him out a little and in the end he made a couple of bigger breaks.
After the game was over I went over to try and have a chat with him, but got little joy.
When I see the state he's in now I feel a pang of sorrow, for the man and player he was. But `PR was never a strong suit..

Postby gallantrabbit

Oh yeah and one other embarassing experience. I tried chatting up Ken Doherty's girlfriend. I didn't actually know it was his girlfriend but she did let me know pretty quickly!! This was a good few years back at Wembley. me and about 15 mates had been on the sauce from early on at one of the all day sessions. Needless to say we'd spent rather more time in the bar with the telly and the old betting booths than in the arena watching the action. There was a very pretty girl sitting waiting outside one of the entrance curtains, Irish if I remember right, this was yonks ago. Pretty girls at snooker events are often of a premium so I thought I'd better try me luck ... She was a nice lass though and only sent me off with a couple of fleas in each ear.

Postby Witz78

gallantrabbit wrote:Oh yeah and one other embarassing experience. I tried chatting up Ken Doherty's girlfriend. I didn't actually know it was his girlfriend but she did let me know pretty quickly!! This was a good few years back at Wembley. me and about 15 mates had been on the sauce from early on at one of the all day sessions. Needless to say we'd spent rather more time in the bar with the telly and the old betting booths than in the arena watching the action. There was a very pretty girl sitting waiting outside one of the entrance curtains, Irish if I remember right, this was yonks ago. Pretty girls at snooker events are often of a premium so I thought I'd better try me luck ... She was a nice lass though and only sent me off with a couple of fleas in each ear.

u chatted up Hazel Irvine ? rofl

Postby Tubberlad

So we're on to snooker wags now? I remember meeting Matthew Stevens' missus :) very, very attractive lady. But to get back on topic, fantastic stories Gallant. I'm sure there's alot more of ye out there with stories to tell though <ok>

Postby SnookerFan

Who remembers the year that Marco Fu brought his girlfriend to the Telford International? It was the year he was playing Shaun Murphy in the final. One of the commentators, Virgo I think, seemed really chuffed that she had brought him a Christmas card. He mentioned it in almost every frame. Bless him, he obviously doesn't get many. <laugh>