No votes
Create a snooker forum, to rival the Island
No votes
Learn to fly a plane, like Ali Carter
No votes
Other (Please Specify)
No votes

Total votes : 3

Re: So, what shall I do between now and the World Open?

Postby SnookerFan

I'm currently reading a novel. It's called The Mad Ship, I like fantasy novels. (I'm a sad-act.) It's 900-pages, but I have only 200 left. <ok>

Tomorrow night, I plan to watch the Callum Smith fight on ITV 4. And drink a load of beer. Hopefully, I'll still be able to remember who won the next morning.

Looking at the list above, I can honestly say I didn't learn French, qualify as a pilot or murder Dennis Taylor.

Postby SnookerFan

Dan-cat wrote:SF, are you excited about the new IT??? My girl is mad about Stephen King. She has a huge Pennywise clown tattoo on her calf! I call her Scary legs.

I'm looking forward to seeing it. Have agreed to see it with a friend a week Saturday. But it's supposed to be really good.

In fact, it must be good because there's been a lot of reviews saying stuff like; "It doesn't really count as a horror movie."

Critics don't like admitting that they like horror movies, so when one goes mainstream or popular, they pretend it's a psychological drama or something.

Postby Iranu

They say that because it manages to be a popcorn movie as well as a horror movie.

In other words, despite being genuinely scary, it's also pretty funny and fun beyond the scares in a way that most horror movies aren't.

Postby SnookerFan

Iranu wrote:They say that because it manages to be a popcorn movie as well as a horror movie.

In other words, despite being genuinely scary, it's also pretty funny and fun beyond the scares in a way that most horror movies aren't.

Horror movies are fun, dammit. :grrr:

Postby Iranu

SnookerFan wrote:
Iranu wrote:They say that because it manages to be a popcorn movie as well as a horror movie.

Horror movies are fun, dammit. :grrr:

Oh I know, I like horror films. But It is a fun film even ignoring the horror. It's not just a "fun horror film."

Yes I know that makes no sense but I know what I mean. :)

Postby Alex0paul

Pink Ball wrote:Since Selby won the World Championship again I've spent a lot of time on Amazon comparing rope prices.

What will you do when he wins it next year?

Postby SnookerFan

Dan-cat wrote:It was ok, I just wasn't scared, ever.

I think people miss the point of horror movies often. Yea often there's an element of trying to scare, butI don't think that's the main thing about them.

In a way they are a celebration of heroism. Of good. Not the opposite. Here we have a group of kids showing bravery in the face of evil. In a world such as ours, isn't it important to revere and learn from tales such as this?

Or take Nightmare On Elm Street. A movie about a teenage girl, ignored and thought to be mad by her dysfunctional family. Cut off from her friends, unable to help as Freddy Krueger fatally picked them off.

This girl young, alone, scared. But faced with the most intense of evils, she stood up and said "No!" She didn't let the evil win.

Yes, in the 80s a bunch of underage kids saw it and was scared. There's that element to these films. But look at the life lessons. Are you scared? Yes, but don't let evil win. No matter how small or alone you feel.

Same with It. In a way, it was a shame that the kids who snuck into the cinema today got booted out.

Horror movies may contain horrific things, by definition. But the good ones are not about celebrating evil. They're often not the sick movies they are portrayed. They're the opposite.