Post a reply

Snooker vs pool which is best?

Postby LC

The age old question, it's obviously snooker but I found a interesting video on YouTube, the fiat challenge, 3 challenge matches, straight pool, snooker and 9 ball, 1987-1988 Steve Davis v Steve mizerak and jimmy white. Don't know how to link video but search Steve Davis v Steve mizerak fiat challenge, I found it interesting

Re: Snooker vs pool which is best?

Postby Badsnookerplayer

LC wrote:The age old question, it's obviously snooker but I found a interesting video on YouTube, the fiat challenge, 3 challenge matches, straight pool, snooker and 9 ball, 1987-1988 Steve Davis v Steve mizerak and jimmy white. Don't know how to link video but search Steve Davis v Steve mizerak fiat challenge, I found it interesting

Interesting post LC - thanks for posting it.

My first thought was obviously snooker, but I don't know pool so well. I watched the video and changed my view somewhat. They are different (though similar) games, and so I guess it is like asking which is best - the 100m or 10000m. Or is it better to compare chess with draughts?

A slightly altered question - which requires the most precision - and then I would have to say snooker.

Postby LC

Badsnookerplayer wrote:
LC wrote:The age old question, it's obviously snooker but I found a interesting video on YouTube, the fiat challenge, 3 challenge matches, straight pool, snooker and 9 ball, 1987-1988 Steve Davis v Steve mizerak and jimmy white. Don't know how to link video but search Steve Davis v Steve mizerak fiat challenge, I found it interesting

Interesting post LC - thanks for posting it.

My first thought was obviously snooker, but I don't know pool so well. I watched the video and changed my view somewhat. They are different (though similar) games, and so I guess it is like asking which is best - the 100m or 10000m. Or is it better to compare chess with draughts?

A slightly altered question - which requires the most precision - and then I would have to say snooker.

Yes snooker is definitely more precise, and overall requires a lot more skill, but I found straight pool quite mesmerising and Davis put quite a run together in one of his "innings" . Mizerak also did quite well in snooker which was surprising, though his promise to try and qualify for the world championships didn't go quite so well losing 10-0 in 1988 and 10-1 in 1989

Postby SnookerFan

Badsnookerplayer wrote:Doen't Selby play some pool?

He gave me a game down the pub on Saturday. I gave him a darn good thrashing. <ok>

Then we played pool.

Postby Dan-cat

SnookerFan wrote:

He gave me a game down the pub on Saturday. I gave him a darn good thrashing. <ok>

Then we played pool.

Tell Baddy your Selby bottom-touching story or link to the thread!

Postby LC

Also found a video of mizerak playing against Stephen hendry and Allison fisher in doubles, and he makes a 56 break !

Postby SnookerFan

Dan-cat wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:

Then we played pool.

Tell Baddy your Selby bottom-touching story or link to the thread!

:limp:

Postby gcjdavid

SnookerFan wrote:

Then we played pool.

Did you mean you were playing carom billiards, then you played pool?

Postby Wildey

in terms of difficulty Snooker.

Most Snooker clubs replace snooker tables with pool tables because its easier for general punters to pot balls.

Postby LC

Wildey wrote:in terms of difficulty Snooker.

Most Snooker clubs replace snooker tables with pool tables because its easier for general punters to pot balls.

This is true my local club, has had a total refurbishment, but is now geared towards pool and from having 9 snooker tables there is only 2 now and 9 pool tables, Snooker professionally has never been healthier, but in the public participation area it's getting less and less.

Postby LC

Badsnookerplayer wrote:What needs to be done or is it too late?

It's hard to say, pool is becoming more and more popular English pool that is, red and yellows, it's an easier game for most people to play and not as daunting as snooker, younger people I'd say haven't got the patience to play long frames of snooker, pool is fast and a lot easier to pot balls. Today's sporting world is about being fast paced with instant results. I'm surprised a tv channel hasn't put it on because it would very cheap to produce

Postby Iranu

Maybe including 6- and 10-red triangles in the clubs would help as it would open up the opportunity for punters to play quicker games that don't require such an investment of time and effort?

As much as I wouldn't want them to overtake the proper game, it might make snooker more appealing to your average guys at Riley's on a Friday night, and then maybe they'll fall in love with snooker itself.

Postby kolompar

You know, you can rack 6 or 10 reds with a normal triangle. Not sure if they were even using triangles at the 6 red WC. You don't really need a triangle to rack even 15 reds.

What's the point of this thread anyway? What do you expect asking this on a snooker forum?

Postby Iranu

kolompar wrote:You know, you can rack 6 or 10 reds with a normal triangle. Not sure if they were even using triangles at the 6 red WC. You don't really need a triangle to rack even 15 reds.

True, but to consider that as a possibility without anything there to show you the option requires a level of thought process that most of the population aren't actually capable of.

Ok, how about advertising or promoting deals based on 6/10 red games?

Postby LC

kolompar wrote:You know, you can rack 6 or 10 reds with a normal triangle. Not sure if they were even using triangles at the 6 red WC. You don't really need a triangle to rack even 15 reds.

What's the point of this thread anyway? What do you expect asking this on a snooker forum?

It was initially just to highlight the video I found of the snooker/pool challenge, but its morphed into a discussion on the growing popularity of pool and the decline of snooker at grassroots, so I think it is quite relevant!!

Postby Andy Spark

I remember seeing the Steve Davis Vs Steve Mizerak contest in the 80's. I also remember seeing the Jimmy White Vs Steve Mizerak one too. Annoying that on neither occasion did Steve Davis or Jimmy play very well and fat Mizerak came out with annoying statements after the game like, "I got a bit scared when he knocked in that break of 43".