Post a reply

Lowest total clearance

Postby Badsnookerplayer

I think the lowest possible total break comprising a total clearance is 44. Given that this is nigh impossible, what is the lowest break anybody is aware of that comprised a total clearance?

Re: Lowest total clearance

Postby TheSaviour

It´s 13. Potting just a last black doesn´t count as a clearance, it is just a pot. A single pot. But make it a pink and a black, and it is a total clearance.

Postby Alex0paul

Lowest break to win a frame would be 14.

Player A pots all the reds in one shot but goes in off.

Player B pots yellow, green, brown and blue to leave A needing a snooker.

Postby Badsnookerplayer

Alex0paul wrote:Lowest break to win a frame would be 14.

Player A pots all the reds in one shot but goes in off.

Player B pots yellow, green, brown and blue to leave A needing a snooker.

In theory yes, but what is the lowest total clearance that has ever occurred?

Postby Dan-cat

Badsnookerplayer wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:How would you get a total clearance of 44?

A smash break, potting all 15 reds (that's the hard bit)
Nominate yellow.
Then all six colours

Ronnie could do it

LOLZ!

Postby SnookerFan

Badsnookerplayer wrote:

Nominate yellow.
Then all six colours

Of course. I wasn't taking into account that you could pot more than one red at once.

Won't happen.

Postby Alex0paul

I remember Fu making a big break with low value colours in the 2006 WC but not sure if it was a total clearance.

The commentators said "This is how you make a break with nothing on"

Postby Dan-cat

Alex0paul wrote:I remember Fu making a big break with low value colours in the 2006 WC but not sure if it was a total clearance.

The commentators said "This is how you make a break with nothing on"

Was he naked?

Reminds me of the infamous Marilyn Monroe quote about her 1952 naked calendar...

"It's not true I had nothing on. I had the radio on."

Postby Dan-cat

SnookerFan wrote:
Badsnookerplayer wrote:

Nominate yellow.
Then all six colours

Of course. I wasn't taking into account that you could pot more than one red at once.

Won't happen.

Lolz this reminds me of Ricky Gervais trying to explain the infinite monkey cage theory to Karl Pilkington.

Ricky: 'if you had an infinite amount of monkeys and an infinite amount of typewriters, they would eventually come up with the complete works of Shakespear'

Karl: 'wouldn't happen.'

Postby SnookerFan

Dan-cat wrote:
Lolz this reminds me of Ricky Gervais trying to explain the infinite monkey cage theory to Karl Pilkington.

Ricky: 'if you had an infinite amount of monkeys and an infinite amount of typewriters, they would eventually come up with the complete works of Shakespear'

Mathematically, it would. If you were to have infinite keyboards getting typed on randomly, for an infinite amount of time, it WOULD happen.

Literally, it wouldn't. Throw a load of monkeys into a room, they wouldn't type the complete work of Shakespeare, now matter how infinite the amount or the time was.

Postby Pink Ball

SnookerFan wrote:
Badsnookerplayer wrote:

Nominate yellow.
Then all six colours

Won't happen.

Selbo.

Postby Dan-cat

SnookerFan wrote:
Dan-cat wrote:

Mathematically, it would. If you were to have infinite keyboards getting typed on randomly, for an infinite amount of time, it WOULD happen.

Literally, it wouldn't. Throw a load of monkeys into a room, they wouldn't type the complete work of Shakespeare, now matter how infinite the amount or the time was.

Karl, is that you?

Given infinite time, random input would produce all possible output.

Postby Iranu

SnookerFan wrote:
Dan-cat wrote:

"'It was the best of times, it was the BLURST of times'?! You stupid monkey!"

Postby SnookerFan

Iranu wrote:"'It was the best of times, it was the BLURST of times'?! You stupid monkey!"

rofl rofl rofl

"To Be, Or To Be Again?"

"Alas Poor Steve, I knew him well."

"Romeo, Romeo. Where for art though, Romeo?", "I'm down here, you silly cow."

Postby Badsnookerplayer

In 2003 the Arts Council for England paid £2,000 for a real-life test of the theorem involving six Sulawesi crested macaques, but the trial was abandoned after a month.
The monkeys produced five pages of text, mainly composed of the letter S, but failed to type anything close to a word of English, broke the computer and used the keyboard as a lavatory

Postby SnookerFan

Badsnookerplayer wrote:In 2003 the Arts Council for England paid £2,000 for a real-life test of the theorem involving six Sulawesi crested macaques, but the trial was abandoned after a month.
The monkeys produced five pages of text, mainly composed of the letter S, but failed to type anything close to a word of English, broke the computer and used the keyboard as a lavatory

That's not infinite monkeys for infinite time.

That's some monkeys, for a month.

Postby Badsnookerplayer

SnookerFan wrote:
Badsnookerplayer wrote:In 2003 the Arts Council for England paid £2,000 for a real-life test of the theorem involving six Sulawesi crested macaques, but the trial was abandoned after a month.

That's not infinite monkeys for infinite time.

That's some monkeys, for a month.

Infinite monkeys =infinite monkey rubbish on keyboard

Postby mick745

Not only the complete works of Shakespeare but also everything else that has ever been written, and everything else that could possibly be written also, and they would produce all of it an infinite number of times.

The theory goes that there are only a finite number of patterns in which you can arrange letters, if a monkey types an a then it can only be followed by one of 26 letters or a space or a puctuation mark. However the permutations are very very large, I am sure some clever scientist

However just because you run a scenario an infinite number of times does not mean all possible outcomes will happen, just that they might. Like me not winning the world snooker championship.

Postby SnookerFan

I'm kind of with Karl Pilkington on this one.

Though I understand it's a mathematical thing, and not to be taken literally, I don't see why we'd spend a lot of time really discussing this theory.

We aren't going to get an infinite amount of monkeys, typing for an infinite amount of time. So it beggars little thought, to be fair. <laugh>

Postby SnookerFan

Badsnookerplayer wrote:What is the lowest total clearance anybody has seen?

It was made by a monkey, on a typewriter. <ok>

Postby SnookerFan

Badsnookerplayer wrote:FFS - has anybody seen a clearance less than 130?

Has it been done?

This is a serious thread which will contribute to the sum of knowledge of snooker history

Sorry. <laugh>

Postby eraserhead

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mwVxCbmRNoM Typed in"snooker total clearance" on youtube found Ronnie has a 128 here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k82oXVvXj4Y Here is an obviously fake 44 I found. Also would potting the white after the black count as a total clearance? minus 7 points due to a foul.

There is also sites like cue tracker but I don't know if they have a way to separate between centuries and total clearances.

Postby eraserhead

Finding all sorts now.

In1915, George Hargest, who was manager at Luciana Billiard Hall in Blackwood, Monmouthshire, is credited in making the first century, when he made a total clearance of 112. The break was certified by the Billiards Association, which meant it was made on a standard table with official size pocket openings

http://www.billiardsandsnookerarchive.c ... r-history/