Post a reply

Re: IBSF and WPBSA fall out

Postby PLtheRef

Badsnookerplayer wrote:What will the likely effect of this be?

https://snookerhq.com/2017/08/01/wpbsa- ... from-ibsf/

Not sure. Don't expect we're going to hear much more about this but I wonder in hindsight was there signals of this (e.g the WPBSA and IBSF staging their own World Billiards Championships) recently - all speculative though.

That said I'm sure that World Snooker have the ample resources to stage their own Amateur and Under 21 Championship. The latter could be part of a PDC style Challenge Tour

Postby fridge46

PLtheRef wrote:
Badsnookerplayer wrote:What will the likely effect of this be?

https://snookerhq.com/2017/08/01/wpbsa- ... from-ibsf/

Not sure. Don't expect we're going to hear much more about this but I wonder in hindsight was there signals of this (e.g the WPBSA and IBSF staging their own World Billiards Championships) recently - all speculative though.

That said I'm sure that World Snooker have the ample resources to stage their own Amateur and Under 21 Championship. The latter could be part of a PDC style Challenge Tour

Hearn did announce at the Crucible that World Snooker intend on starting a 10 event Challenger Tour series for amateurs next season:

"At the end of next year’s Q School we will launch a Challenge Tour. This will be a series of ten events available to players who have shown ambition to be a professional snooker player by entering Q School. The winner and runner up will get a tour card."

http://www.worldsnooker.com/barry-hearn-announcements/

Postby SnookerFan

Hearn will probably make the billiards tournaments a ranking event. Try to force all snooker players to enter.

Postby Badsnookerplayer

"At the end of next year’s Q School we will launch a Challenge Tour. This will be a series of ten events available to players who have shown ambition to be a professional snooker player by entering Q School. The winner and runner up will get a tour card."

Seems a tough route to be a pro but I guess it would be a new opportunity

Postby PLtheRef

Badsnookerplayer wrote:"At the end of next year’s Q School we will launch a Challenge Tour. This will be a series of ten events available to players who have shown ambition to be a professional snooker player by entering Q School. The winner and runner up will get a tour card."

Seems a tough route to be a pro but I guess it would be a new opportunity

Seems a little bit restrictive as well - that said the logistics of arranging an in theory limitless entries event for a challenge tour would be a nightmare.

Postby kolompar

Sounds like WPBSA wanted to form a new federation, possibly to apply to the Olympics without the other cue sports. I always thought snooker would have a better chance that way.

Postby eraserhead

Badsnookerplayer wrote:Jason Ferguson has resigned.

Seriously?

Postby acesinc

Badsnookerplayer wrote:That needs an expert view - maybe PLTheRef, AceSinc or Snookerfan?

Not my area of expertise, I'm just a "rules guy". This is corporate stuff. I live in a barren Snooker desert over here and have enough of my own problems let alone paying attention to the soap opera of cue sports in-fighting.

But of course, I am happy to give my tuppence...

My understanding is that Jason Ferguson resigned from his position with the World Confederation of Billiards Sports (WCBS), and retains his position with the World Professional Billiard and Snooker Association (WPBSA) though he is still listed on the WCBS website as being President, presumably still not updated. I have not even heard if an interim or permanent new President has been named yet, though I admit I have not really been paying attention.

My understanding is the the WCBS is the bigger picture.....it is the unification of Carom Billiards (no pockets, completely different than English Billiards), Pool, and Snooker. These are the folks who are making the push to get the cue sports into the Olympics. I think that some people may think that the push was for SNOOKER to get into the Olympics...not so, Snooker would be one of the events of the cue sports just like gymnastics or swimming have many different events.

So the WPBSA (still chaired by Jason Ferguson) is one of the three branches of the WCBS. Not the same thing.....the one thing is a part of the other, bigger thing.

WCBS = overseeing organization
................................/\.....................................

UMB (carom) : WPA (Pool) : WPBSA and IBSF (Snooker) = co-equal branches of the organization

Update: In looking into this matter, I did find out that Ian Anderson (from Australia, not he of "Jethro Tull" fame) has been named as the new President of the WCBS. All I can say about that is that I know a guy who is on the Board of Directors of the WPA and he says he is a friend of Ian Anderson and considers him to be a good guy. Make of that what you will. I have no idea why Mr. Ferguson resigned from the WCBS but it would certainly appear that it would be related to the WPBSA/IBSF tiff.

Eraserhead, did you LYAO at all of those acronyms?

Postby kolompar

https://snookerhq.com/2017/08/11/wpbsa- ... legations/
As the only purpose of WCBS is to get cue sports into the Olympics, I think the WPBSA quitting is not a big deal as long as they managed to get their own IOC recognized snooker federation. Plus it seems like it's not the first time they've done it https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_Con ... rds_Sports

Postby Ronnie79

It has been know for some time Anderson was getting that gig so Ferguson jumped before he was pushed. It's all politics relating to Snooker making the Olympics and there is no chance of it making it imo