Post a reply

Hong Kong Masters

Postby Ronnie79

Hi how come no one has posted about this what a cracking draw. Great line up but it looks like an Internet only job can you believe that

Re: Hong Kong Masters

Postby Badsnookerplayer

Ronnie79 wrote:Hi how come no one has posted about this what a cracking draw. Great line up but it looks like an Internet only job can you believe that

Hadn't seen the draw but it is a cracker - the prize money is good...

Postby SnookerFan

Ronnie79 wrote:Hi how come no one has posted about this what a cracking draw. Great line up but it looks like an Internet only job can you believe that

Postby SnookerFan

kolompar wrote:No, top players only.

Bingham is a World Champion.

How is Fu more of a top player?

Postby TheSaviour

Sounds pretty rubbish.

Whatever floats your boat, though.

BUT look what Ryan Day did in Riga (!!?) I only yesterday fully checked out who all he did beat there. Kyren Wilson, Joe Perry, Mark Williams and Stephen Maguire. SO talking about the heroic stories. There´s the one. Something similar can happen in Hong Kong also. Only then it would count. That´s the route which reminds me of Ronnie O´Sullivan´s best years, to be able to beat all those supreme players. So all credit to Ryan. I have somewhat been downplaying his prospects, even when at times adimitting the reality. Now he produced some hot and cold, given how I have been analysing his game. Every credit to him, sure.

Might be that I will be boozing it away during the Hong Kong Masters lol. But that´s only might because it really doesn´t suit to me. I don´t know if it suits to anyone.

Seems that our main "Hong Kong correspondent" is already on a summer holiday. Just as things might had got interested and I got an upper hand over things. Well, I don´t know, but it could be a good idea given a real go on various things over the next let´s say 4 weeks and then just coming back to see what the situation is. The snooker world is pretty much closed down 8 months on the trot, so you will have a good time to cool down and just watch some telly and down the endless amounts of Batteries. That´s because only at the summer the playing conditions are really challening. The sweating of the bridge hand and so on. Just give it a real go over the next 4 weeks, even if it would cost you some money. At least then there will be no regrets. If it is your money then everything is perfectly okay. The worst possible situation is if you receive some goods even when sensing it is not deserved at all. Vice versa it works reasonable well.

Postby gcjdavid

SnookerFan wrote:
kolompar wrote:No, top players only.

Bingham is a World Champion.

How is Fu more of a top player?

Agree. Even John Virgo has more majors than Fu

Postby SnookerEd25

Whereas my bridge-hand is sweatier than both of theirs... :roll:

Postby The_Abbott

SnookerEd25 wrote:Whereas my bridge-hand is sweatier than both of theirs... :roll:

Don't worry, I got what you meant about Bingham ;-)

Postby SnookerFan

gcjdavid wrote:
Agree. Even John Virgo has more majors than Fu

I'm not saying Fu is rubbish, don't get me wrong.

I respect Fu, and his achievements. Merely pointing out that it's subjective what the term 'top player' means.

Postby SnookerFan

kolompar wrote:Rankings? :shrug:

True. Obviously one way of saying who is a top player, is to say who is currently high-ranked is currently a top-player.

My point is though, what each person considers a top player can differ. And you could argue that ranking is only part of it.Was Ronnie not a top-player when he skipped a season, and was provisionally out of the top-16?

Besides, I wasn't really talking about rankings.

In the example above, when we were discussing Fu vs Bingham, and saying Bingham wasn't a top player, I was pointing out he is a World Champion and a multiple time ranking event winner. Is that not a top player? In the other example, Fu vs Virgo, and saying Virgo has won more majors. True. But Fu has more ranking events. (Virgo's UK title win was when it wasn't ranking.) It's not always clear cut, and can depend what you mean when not talking about the absolute elite.

All professionals are top players, when compared to me. rofl

Postby SnookerEd25

SnookerFan wrote: In the other example, Fu vs Virgo, and saying Virgo has won more majors. True. But Fu has more ranking events. (Virgo's UK title win was when it wasn't ranking.)

Also worth pointing out the size of the field. When the great JV won his UK title, a total of 27 players competed for it, and some of those would have arguably struggled to put together a 50 break.