Post a reply

EverGrande China Championship Last 128 !!!!!

Postby Wildey

Image Image Image
Saturday 3rd- Tuesday 6th of June at the Guild Hall, Preston

The China Championship started life in 2016 as a 16 man invitatnal won by John Higgins during a season that saw him win the Champion of Champions and reach his first World Final for 6 years.

But this season the China Championship is a full 128 ranking event with £150,000 going to the winner

Everyone of the top 64 in the world has entered which is very unusual at this time of the year.

7 matches will be held over to the main venue thoes include Mark Selby, John Higgins, Ding Junhui and Liang Wenbo Matches.

Who will Join them in china?

DRAW

ORDER OF PLAY

Re: China Championship Last 128 !!!!!

Postby kolompar

Interesting that they have best of 9s, I though this was going to be a copy of the IC with best of 11s from the first round.

So what do you think of the new wild card system? http://www.wpbsa.com/wild-card-changes- ... mpionship/
It's good that they are in the first round but I thought it was outrageous that they would force tour players out of the last 128 to play pre-qualifiers.

Postby Dan-cat

Badsnookerplayer wrote:
Dan-cat wrote:
Badsnookerplayer wrote:The spaceman has the bit between his teeth today.

Surely that would get in the way.

Of his helmet you mean??

Haha. Yes. A space helmet and a full stirrup would be a bit much.

Postby Wildey

This season Kyren Wilson needs to push on only 5 last 16 or better in 16 ranking tournaments last season was nowhere near good enough

Postby Wildey

Michael Georgiou is nothing more than a journeyman and hes 4-0 up on Kyren Wilson.

Thats pretty bad for Kyren

Postby Badsnookerplayer

Wildey wrote:Michael Georgiou is nothing more than a journeyman and hes 4-0 up on Kyren Wilson.

That is an ill-informed comment. Georgiou will push on this year and journeyman is wide of the mark.

Postby SnookerEd25

kolompar wrote:Interesting that they have best of 9s, I though this was going to be a copy of the IC with best of 11s from the first round.

So what do you think of the new wild card system? http://www.wpbsa.com/wild-card-changes- ... mpionship/
It's good that they are in the first round but I thought it was outrageous that they would force tour players out of the last 128 to play pre-qualifiers.

So basically, if I've understood it correctly; the previously named 'wild-card round' has gone, to be potentially replaced by a pre-qualifying round that would feature full-tour professionals. The wild cards going straight into the first round proper.

Like you say, it does seem a bit knee-jerk; the wild-card rounds were never ideal, in my opinion, but at least seemed more a level playing field than this new scenario.

Postby mick745

Badsnookerplayer wrote:
Wildey wrote:Michael Georgiou is nothing more than a journeyman and hes 4-0 up on Kyren Wilson.

That is an ill-informed comment. Georgiou will push on this year and journeyman is wide of the mark.

How do we know he'll 'push on'?

He's been on the pro circuit for five years, highest ranking is 74.

There is no definitive definition of journeyman but I usually think of them as somebody who makes a good living out of being a professional sportsperson but never challenges for the honours.

Postby SteveJJ

mick745 wrote:
Badsnookerplayer wrote:

There is no definitive definition of journeyman but I usually think of them as somebody who makes a good living out of being a professional sportsperson but never challenges for the honours.

I wouldn't say he's reached journeyman status yet - seeing as he's not even had a ranking that's technically qualified him to remain on the tour on merit (rather than 1 year rankings or PTC lists etc). I like your definition but would say true journeyman status is those who spend a number of years between 40-64 but never challenge the honours board.

And in terms of people needing to push on - surely all players need to, whether you are Mark Selby or Michael Georgiou? If Selby doesn't want to push on, despite his great last season then he might as well retire.

Postby SteveJJ

Anthony Hamilton 5-3 Robin Hull.

I see that next years provisional rankings have Mr Hamilton back in the top 16 (along with Mark King). Will be interesting to see if he can do well enough to hold that place.

Ollie Lines 5 - 2 Duane Jones

14 months and counting without a professional century break for Lines Jnr despite the two wins this week.

Postby Badsnookerplayer

mick745 wrote:
Badsnookerplayer wrote:

Fair point Mick - we don't know that he will push on but I do think the label of journeyman is overly harsh. He only returned to the circuit last year and I have a feeling that he will make a breakthrough this year.Not definitive I know.

Postby The_Abbott

Alex0paul wrote:Walden must surely be struggling with his injury

Possibly - in two matches he has scored 0 frames and lost 9. Worst start you can get!

Postby The_Abbott

SteveJJ wrote:Anthony Hamilton 5-3 Robin Hull.

I see that next years provisional rankings have Mr Hamilton back in the top 16 (along with Mark King). Will be interesting to see if he can do well enough to hold that place.

Ollie Lines 5 - 2 Duane Jones

14 months and counting without a professional century break for Lines Jnr despite the two wins this week.

Hamilton knows he can't lose any money so that means even if he lost ALL matches in 2017-18 he would still be ranked circa 25th in the world.

I hope he does get back into the Top 16 even if only briefly.

Postby Wildey

Badsnookerplayer wrote:

Its accurate and not ill informed at all

in 2 seasons on tour Georgiou has won 23 Matches in 33 tournaments

anyone who expects him to push on in to the top 64 are deluded.