Post a reply

Which World final Would You Have Most Liked To See?

Stephen Hendry vs Steve Davis
19%
Ronnie O'Sullivan vs Stephen Hendry
13%
Steve Davis vs Alex Higgins
6%
Stephen Hendry vs Alex Higgins
3%
Ronnie O'Sullivan vs Alex Higgins
13%
Ronnie O'Sullivan vs Steve Davis
3%
Ronnie O'Sullivan vs Peter Ebdon
6%
Ray Reardon vs John Spencer
3%
Stephen Hendry vs John Higgins
3%
John Higgins vs Mark Williams
3%
Alex Higgins vs Jimmy White
3%
Alex Higgins vs Mark Selby
6%
Stephen Hendry vs Ray Reardon
10%
Ronnie O'Sullivan vs Ray Reardon
6%

Total votes : 31

Re: Which World final Would You Have Most Liked To See?

Postby mick745

Good idea for a thread.

One of the most disappointing aspects of the last 20 years has been a lack of major finals involving Higgins and O'Sullivan. These two players were the outstanding ones from their generation and could and should have dominated the game for 20 years. We had one measly World Final back in 2001 and no more than about half a dozen ranking event finals. It should have been another Hendry-White type rivalry.

Anyone I would loved to have seen a final between Steve Davis and Alex Higgins and ROS v Peter Ebdon. The contrasts in style would have been fantastic. How about a peak Reardon v peak Hendry or peak O'Sullivan?

A peak Steve Davis v Ronnie would have also been fantastic.

Postby Snooker-Fan2016

O'Sullivan vs Hendry would be the best standaed in terms of break making, no doubt about that. Ones like O'Sullivan vs Alex Higgins, Steve Davis vs Ronnie O'Sullivan and Alex Higgins vs Mark Selby would make very interesting clashes for different reasons.

The match I've always most wanted to see though is 90s Hendry vs 80s Davis.

Postby Badsnookerplayer

Good thread SAS.

I have elected Higgins/White as I think it would have been a classic all-out potfest with neither of them able to resist attacking.

I also voted Hendry/ROS as it would have been an intriguing mental battle.

I was tempted by Alex/Selby but I think Alex would have been destroyed and that wouldn't be pretty to watch.

Would also like to have seen how one of the older players, perhaps Joe Davis fared against Alex. I think Joe disapproved of him hugely.

Postby sas6789

mick745 wrote:Good idea for a thread.

One of the most disappointing aspects of the last 20 years has been a lack of major finals involving Higgins and O'Sullivan. These two players were the outstanding ones from their generation and could and should have dominated the game for 20 years. We had one measly World Final back in 2001 and no more than about half a dozen ranking event finals. It should have been another Hendry-White type rivalry.

Anyone I would loved to have seen a final between Steve Davis and Alex Higgins and ROS v Peter Ebdon. The contrasts in style would have been fantastic. How about a peak Reardon v peak Hendry or peak O'Sullivan?

A peak Steve Davis v Ronnie would have also been fantastic.

I've added them to the poll.

Postby SnookerEd25

The World final i'd have most liked to see was one that actually happened - John Spencer v. Alex Higgins, 1972. I'd have loved to have been at just one of those sessions, perched on chair precariously balanced on a stack of beer crates.

Postby SnookerFan

Alex0paul wrote:Jimmy White v Matthew Stevens

The way those two bottled finals, the match would still be going by the time the following year started. rofl

They'd have to pull it off in time for the World Champion to start his defence of the title.