Post a reply

Re: Can Ding, Ronnie and Judd Save Snooker?

Postby Sickpotter

Nope, just the usual whining from the ADD crowd who can't deal with frames not involving a century break.

Largest 1st place prize ever for the WC, snooker is in no trouble at all.

Postby SnookerFan

I was at the English Open final. Judd Trump played Liang Wenbo.

Two attacking players. Yeat in the first session, it was only about 25% full.

Not saying that Ronnie doesn't bring in lots of fans, because he obviously does. But saying that snooker's attendance problems are going to be solved by having players like Judd knocking around is a massive over simplification.

Postby TheSaviour

Judd perhaps. Ding and Ronnie should try to changhe something.

It is same when the weather is dry for months. People are just looking forward to get some rain.

That´s what has now happened here. I got a new umbrella on Xmas eve, and I have needed to open it only a few times now! Even when I walk everyday for miles and miles, and always using it when it rains. The skin just gets too dry regardless of the air temperature. Because every now and then it does shine also.

People are just not ready to digest it. They wan´t something new, not traditional but something which could make they feel more comfortable again. Including me. Judd certainly can bring it.

So we are always safe when it is just speculative. That´s the way it is. So I was speculative once again. Obviously people should just stop contacting the ring offices, and do something more constructive instead. Just doing at least something. I feel they should get warned slightly more often if anyone fancing to get some results..

So.... Realistically it is up to Judd right now. He doesn´t even have changhe anything much at all. Or to start winning anything more. Just keeps going how he has keep it going. Judd, Mark King, Barry Hawkins, Stuart Bingham, perhaps Anthony Hamilton, (or Cain..), a players like that. Graeme Dott is also pretty straighforward, I need to admit that. A straightforward is not the same thing as logical. So he won´t be making that much sense. Probably.

I don´t have to savour all those great cities and countries of the world and their pool bars to know the players who can still save the game of snooker. I am not negative at all. Just know who can play really well and consistently well without being too competitive personalities or players.

Postby The_Abbott

Snooker doesn't need saving - this season with the different winners proves that.

Judd does need to adapt his game at the crucible otherwise in the longer tournaments he will be grinded out.

Postby SnookerFan

The_Abbott wrote:Snooker doesn't need saving - this season with the different winners proves that.

Judd does need to adapt his game at the crucible otherwise in the longer tournaments he will be grinded out.

Snooker has a problem attracting fans to some events. That's obvious.

But look at my example above. I attended the English Open semis and final last year. The final had Judd Trump vs Liang Wenbo. Two players I think we can agree are fast attacking players. The first session was less than half-full.

Now look at The Crucible, Mark Selby was playing John Higgins on the second day of the final. Tickets went on sale at 9am for next year, and their website crashed due to immense demand. Some people were trying to buy tickets, and were in a queue of thousands.

So, obviously blaming methodical players like Selby for chasing fans away isn't really getting to the crux of the problem that a lot of events aren't attracting large crowds. People just don't see events like the English Open as big a deal as events like The World Championship. A wealth of ranking events with best of sevens at the start doesn't help. But also, the venue has to be right, in my opinion. See how few people came to Wembley Arena compared to the Alexandra Palace. Exactly the same event, but Wembley Arena just didn't feel right. So it drove people away. Move to the Alexandra Palace, which already has an iconic reputation due to it's association with the darts, suddenly more people turn up. Marketing. Fans are convinced it's a big event, so people come. That's what Hearn has to do. Find ways to convince people to come to smaller events.

Postby Erza Scarlet

Yes they could all save Snooker and they need to, especially Judd.

I'd also add Neil Robertson, Luca and Kyren Wilson who can shake things up. It shows when Ding was getting more support from the crowd vs the defending English World Champion that no one wants to see Selby. No wants to see him win. No one cares about seeing him win. Have you ever seen so many people sleeping at a final?

2nd option is just to wait and see Mark crash out of tournaments. I'm hoping with all the grinding and 50 minute frames he plays he has a short career and fades off into the dust. No one will care anyway lol

Good riddance.

There's a reason why so many youngsters who start out in Snooker always say their idol is Ronnie O'Sullivan, not because of the titles he's won otherwise the majority would say it's Hendry, it's because of his playing style. He's far enjoyable to watch. It's like watching an artist on the table. Like what Federer is to Tennis.

Postby PoolBoy

I don't think snooker needs 'saving'!

It's currently in a great place, with more tournaments and prize money than ever before.
The Crucible will host the World Champs for at least the next 10 years and there are so many more nationalities embracing the sport.

There's a record entry of 206 players at this season's Q-School (breaking the previous high of 174) and there's to be a Challenge Circuit introduced under the main Tour.

That's the big picture and it's looking rosy!

Postby PoolBoy

OoNebsoO wrote:Oh, Luca Brecel, please save us!

Talking of Luca, it's amazing that he's only recently turned just 22-years-old!

Many, including me, have bemoaned the fact that he's not 'progressed' as quickly as hoped.
But, I've just looked at his World Rankings since he turned-pro back in 2011.

He's improved, every season....
His end-of-season ranking, since he came on Tour:

2011/12 : 84
2012/13 : 72
2013/14 : 63
2014/15 : 44
2015/16 : 30
2016/17 : 27

If he keeps 'chipping away' like that - perhaps he could be up at around 22nd, this time next year, and knocking-on-the-door of the top-16 the following season...and he'd still only be 24!

Postby SnookerFan

PoolBoy wrote:
OoNebsoO wrote:Oh, Luca Brecel, please save us!

Talking of Luca, it's amazing that he's only recently turned just 22-years-old!

Many, including me, have bemoaned the fact that he's not 'progressed' as quickly as hoped.
But, I've just looked at his World Rankings since he turned-pro back in 2011.

He's improved, every season....
His end-of-season ranking, since he came on Tour:

2011/12 : 84
2012/13 : 72
2013/14 : 63
2014/15 : 44
2015/16 : 30
2016/17 : 27

If he keeps 'chipping away' like that - perhaps he could be up at around 22nd, this time next year, and knocking-on-the-door of the top-16 the following season...and he'd still only be 24!

Luca's match with Fu at the World Championship worries me.

That's the sort of loss that leaves mental scars. He should've had that match won. What impact will that have made on him? :chin:

Postby sas6789

Erza Scarlet wrote:Yes they could all save Snooker and they need to, especially Judd.

I'd also add Neil Robertson, Luca and Kyren Wilson who can shake things up. It shows when Ding was getting more support from the crowd vs the defending English World Champion that no one wants to see Selby. No wants to see him win. No one cares about seeing him win. Have you ever seen so many people sleeping at a final?

2nd option is just to wait and see Mark crash out of tournaments. I'm hoping with all the grinding and 50 minute frames he plays he has a short career and fades off into the dust. No one will care anyway lol

Good riddance.

There's a reason why so many youngsters who start out in Snooker always say their idol is Ronnie O'Sullivan, not because of the titles he's won otherwise the majority would say it's Hendry, it's because of his playing style. He's far enjoyable to watch. It's like watching an artist on the table. Like what Federer is to Tennis.

Stop moaning you berk.

Postby Iranu

Can people please stop pretending that Selby isn't popular? He's one of the most supported players on the tour behind Ronnie, Trump and Ding.

Postby Tamctus

SnookerFan wrote:
Luca's match with Fu at the World Championship worries me.

That's the sort of loss that leaves mental scars. He should've had that match won. What impact will that have made on him? :chin:

I don't think it'll have a negative effect on him. Basically every other player has lost a match like that too and it's up to him how he'll cope with it. I'd like to think that Luca will learn from that result and be stronger mentally in the future.

Or he may not learn and keep bottling like Michael Holt instead <laugh>

Postby Erza Scarlet

sas6789 wrote:Stop moaning you berk.

Erm what's it to you? You don't see me telling anti-Ronnie fans to stop moaning but if I talk negative about Slowby then that somehow doesn't make it fine? Grow a thicker skin.

I don't like Slowby and never will. He is a stain to the sport. Get used to it. If you don't like my opinions then put me on ignore, not like I will miss anything lol

Postby PoolBoy

Erza Scarlet wrote:

Erm what's it to you? You don't see me telling anti-Ronnie fans to stop moaning but if I talk negative about Slowby then that somehow doesn't make it fine? Grow a thicker skin.

I don't like Slowby and never will. He is a stain to the sport. Get used to it. If you don't like my opinions then put me on ignore, not like I will miss anything lol

What an extraordinary outburst.
Obviously not a snooker fan - Ah, a Ronnie fan, Say no more!

Postby Cloud Strife

PoolBoy wrote:
Erza Scarlet wrote:

That old chestnut again haha.

Postby Pink Ball

Cloud Strife wrote:
PoolBoy wrote:
Erza Scarlet wrote:

That old chestnut again haha.

My campaign for Ronnie Fans' rights can't seem to crack the glass ceiling.