Post a reply

Bring back Alcohol?

Postby Andy Spark

As Alex Higgins "goes out in a complete blaze of glory" by constructing the title clinching 130+ break in 1982, Ray Reardon calmly exhales his frustrations by inhaling a fag, the fag-hand splayed and displayed with a delicate control that is the very antithesis of the Higgins twitch. While Big Bill Werbeniuk glugs the amber nectar on tax exemption he smiles inwardly with the knowledge that snooker is a far more enjoyable way of spending your working day than Canadian lumberjacking or office politicking.

What has snooker come to where the players now sup mineral water like choir boys? No solace after that unfortunate fluke by their opponent, no looking forward to that blissful alcoholic state of serene self-knowledge, no philisophical murmer of encouragement in a chemical consolation whatsoever. Instead, the ashen face of reality; sitting down while your opponent piles on point after point in slow monotony, knowing you can do nothing at all about it...it's enough to drive you to drink.

I say let the players have a proper drink! :party:

Re: Bring back Alcohol?

Postby SnookerFan

I don't see the point. These are serious competitions, not hitting a few balls around with your mates down the pub.

Postby Badsnookerplayer

You should remove that in case Barry Hearn hears of it. The thought of McGill bashing one out with 5 seconds left on the 'cum' clock is simply too much to bear.

Postby vodkadiet

Badsnookerplayer wrote:You should remove that in case Barry Hearn hears of it. The thought of McGill bashing one out with 5 seconds left on the 'cum' clock is simply too much to bear.

rofl

I believe there should be a 'Magic Mushroom' event.

Chilled snooker................

Postby Andy Spark

Dan-cat wrote:Was alcohol actually banned at some point?
I'm hoping it was because the alternative is some unexpected mass addiction to mineral water.

Postby PoolBoy

Even if there was a mini-bar at each player's table - the modern player wouldn't touch it!

Postby vodkadiet

The last player I can recall drinking during a match was Mark Bennett in the 1996 Grand Prix semi against Euan Henderson.

I remember Clive Everton saying right near the end of the match, "Bennett enjoying another pint, he's enjoyed quite a few this evening!"

Bennett lost 6-3.

Postby Scooper

They should allow ecigs. Do any players smoke these days? I know Ronnie does when he's not going through a quitting phase, but everyone else seems to be a non- or secretive-smoker.

I don't see why they shouldn't drink if they want to.

Postby Pink Ball

Scooper wrote:They should allow ecigs. Do any players smoke these days? I know Ronnie does when he's not going through a quitting phase, but everyone else seems to be a non- or secretive-smoker.

Andrew Higginson and Matthew Stevens do, as did Stephen Lee and Paul Hunter

Postby The Herminator

Can't wait to watch Stephen Maguire with has can of Tennant's vs Shaun Murphy with his white wine spritzer.

Postby Andy Spark

Thank you for all your comments on my thread. :) For me, this is an important issue. It may seem trivial, but if we had always had this ban on alcohol then would we have enjoyed the rejuvenating presence to snooker that was a certain Mr Alex Hurricane Higgins? People ask: "where is the new Alex?" Well, IMO that kind of temperament cannot exist under a non-alcohol situation, because even the former "Hurricane" barely existed under the old rules!

Postby Johnny Bravo

I reckon this would be ok, as long as players don't abuse and get drunk.
A whisky to calm the nerves or maybe a beer seems like a good idea to me.

Postby vodkadiet

Players have all become teetotal bores now. No more heroes any more.

Postby MarcoStaiano

Scooper wrote:They should allow ecigs. Do any players smoke these days? I know Ronnie does when he's not going through a quitting phase, but everyone else seems to be a non- or secretive-smoker.

Found this old thread, didn't need to create a new one.
In this new snooker era, after the tobacco ban, seems like the good old association of "player-almost surely a smoker" is gone. And as someone pointed out, have a cigarette is considered like something a pro must hide. In the end we all have "weaknesses", so I'm still curious to know who are the "sinners" on the current Tour.
Always wondered if in one of the breaks some of them go smoke to relief the tension, may be something not that uncommon honestly.

Postby HappyCamper

saw gould, milkins, and billy joe castle (iirc) having a smoke and chat outside the scottish open a couple years back. i'm sure there quite a few others who indulge.

Postby SnookerFan

I've definitely seen Matthew Stevens smoke.

Stand by my original comments. Nothing against players having a drink on their own time. No way should they drink at the table.

Postby Dragonfly

Remember when Higgins and White teamed up to play together in the doubles. Their corner was a cloud of cigarette smoke, and their table covered with glasses of alcohol.

At least they were more discreet with any white lines going around.

I guess you could make the point that snooker is not a sport that requires an intense level of psychical fitness, but the drinking and smoking wasn't a great look for professional sportspeople.