Post a reply

My Snooker Story

Postby The Herminator

I have a confession to make. I’ve only ever seen 2 professional snooker matches live, so I’m not a “proper” fan like some of you guys. But I’m going to tell you about the first match I ever saw, apologies for the length of the post.

I happened to be a student in Sheffield in the late 90s and when April came around I toyed with the idea of seeing a WC match. I had no idea if tickets would be available or the cost or anything and I’d almost decided not to bother but, on the spur of the moment as I left the uni building, I turned left instead of right and headed down towards The Crucible. I had loads of work to do so my plan was to see if I could get tickets for a second round match later in the week and then head back and work.

I hadn’t actually seen the building before so it was exciting to see it and all the TV equipment around the front. So I went in and looking around I suddenly noticed on the board that Ronnie O’Sullivan was playing in an afternoon session starting in 15 minutes. Suddenly I had a quandary. I really should be getting on with my work…but then again. It doesn’t matter anyway I thought as they probably won’t have any tickets left, but when I went to the booth I was taken aback when she said there were a few tickets and even more-so when I found one in the fifth row. So I got the ticket (I’m pretty sure it was only £5) and went straight in as the match was just about to start.

I couldn’t believe that an hour before I was contemplating a dull afternoon writing any essay and now here I was in the crucible, that I’d seen on TV so many times, about to watch the Rocket. Ronnie played amazingly fast with a reckless instability that was electric to watch. I don’t remember much but when the MSI came along I decided to give my mum back at home a ring. When I asked if she was watching the snooker, she said yes and I replied “I’m there!” I asked her to start recording the match (this was VHS days) as I thought there was a chance I might see myself when I watched it back home (no youtube or iPlayer of course!)

So I went back in to watch the rest of the match and, I’m not sure if it was the very next frame or the one after, but Ronnie proceeded to make a 147 in 5 minutes 20 seconds. I’ll be honest I wasn’t that aware he was on for it until quite late in the frame as it happened so quickly and there were no earpieces then, but the elation when he did it I will never forget. I remember buzzing about it for days. I also couldn’t believe my luck. In the first ever snooker match I’d been to I saw arguably the greatest exhibition of skill in the sports’ entire history, and I hadn’t even planned to go.

I can promise you this story is 100% true or as best as I can remember it anyway. As an extra bonus of course when I got home at the end of term I was able to watch the video and relive that incredible moment whenever I wanted!

Anyone else got any interesting snooker stories, watching or playing?

Re: My Snooker Story

Postby acesinc

Fantastic story! Thanks for sharing it. I watched the video (yet again) and I kept an eye out for you in the crowd. Didn't see you. I guess there wasn't a lot of time for the cameras to be panning the audience though, was there.

We see a bit of the crowd at the end though. You don' t happen to be the cute blond bird at the end that Ronnie passes the towel off to? Do you?

Postby SnookerFan

The amount of matches you've seen live isn't what makes you a true fan.

But cool story. <ok>

Postby KrazeeEyezKilla

At the time I was in my second last year of primary school and usually arrived home on the bus at around 3.55. Sometimes on Monday I got a lift from my cousins parents and would be home by 3.30. This was one of those days so I got to see the 147 live as it happened. I'm pretty certain it was hit within the 25 minute period that I would normally have been on the bus.

Postby SnookerFan

Dan-cat wrote:That is a killer story with such a pay-off!! How lucky that you were at that match. Brilliant. I got some of my own. Will post later :)

I got a story about Mark Selby's backside... <laugh>

Postby Iranu

I've never yet seen a pro match live, so you're more of a proper fan than I am :)

Postby Dan-cat

SnookerFan wrote:
Dan-cat wrote:That is a killer story with such a pay-off!! How lucky that you were at that match. Brilliant. I got some of my own. Will post later :)

I got a story about Mark Selby's backside... <laugh>

Link!!!!!!!!! Love this story

Postby The Herminator

acesinc wrote:Fantastic story! Thanks for sharing it. I watched the video (yet again) and I kept an eye out for you in the crowd. Didn't see you. I guess there wasn't a lot of time for the cameras to be panning the audience though, was there.

We see a bit of the crowd at the end though. You don' t happen to be the cute blond bird at the end that Ronnie passes the towel off to? Do you?

Ha! No I'm not. Even though I've seen that video many times of course I've never quite been able to be sure of spotting myself. I think I was in a bit of shadow and without HD in them days it's a bit blurry!

I kind of feel guilty because I know how lucky I was. I did see a second round match and sat next to a guy who'd been going on and off for 15 years and said he hadn't even seen a century!

Postby SnookerFan

I have seen three 147s made in professional competition.

I have seen two more in exhibitions.

Postby Wildey

Iranu wrote:I've never yet seen a pro match live, so you're more of a proper fan than I am :)

You dont need to be at a venue to be a fan theres all sort of reasons why you cant go the cost is one.

this year it cost me £251 for me and my wife to see 3 sessions live at the crucible including hotel and parking.

Postby SnookerEd25

Witz_is_back wrote:I once shared a taxi at 3am in Blackpool with Mark Joyce. He seriously had a piece of kebab in his hair.

Chicken or Lamb?

Sheesh or Donner?

We must be told!

Postby SnookerFan

Witz_is_back wrote:I once shared a taxi at 3am in Blackpool with Mark Joyce. He seriously had a piece of kebab in his hair.

Is that what upset his mum?

Postby vodkadiet

The first live snooker match I ever saw was Kirk Stevens vs David Taylor in The Masters in 1984. It was a Wednesday afternoon and I bunked off school to watch it. The next day I told the teacher I was sick on Tuesday night and I had been unable to get out of bed in the morning.

Kirk won the match 5-1 with a high break of 107. As the match was one sided the players then played an exhibition frame which David Taylor won. Kirk went on to beat Steve Davis 5-3 in the quarters, before losing 6-4 to Jimmy White in the semis but he had the consolation of making a 147 break.

The following month Kirk had the chance to make a 150 break having had a free ball situation at the start of the frame. However he missed the penultimate red down the side rail on 107.

Postby Muppet147

vodkadiet wrote:The first live snooker match I ever saw was Kirk Stevens vs David Taylor in The Masters in 1984. It was a Wednesday afternoon and I bunked off school to watch it. The next day I told the teacher I was sick on Tuesday night and I had been unable to get out of bed in the morning.

Kirk won the match 5-1 with a high break of 107. As the match was one sided the players then played an exhibition frame which David Taylor won. Kirk went on to beat Steve Davis 5-3 in the quarters, before losing 6-4 to Jimmy White in the semis but he had the consolation of making a 147 break.

The following month Kirk had the chance to make a 150 break having had a free ball situation at the start of the frame. However he missed the penultimate red down the side rail on 107.

You have a great memory. I remember watching Stevens playing White in the semis and also dimly recollect him giving an interview to Dickie Davies on ITV later in the year where he talked about the big break that never quite happened.

As I recall, White played Griffiths in the Masters final and completely outplayed him.

Postby vodkadiet

Muppet147 wrote:
vodkadiet wrote:The first live snooker match I ever saw was Kirk Stevens vs David Taylor in The Masters in 1984. It was a Wednesday afternoon and I bunked off school to watch it. The next day I told the teacher I was sick on Tuesday night and I had been unable to get out of bed in the morning.

You have a great memory. I remember watching Stevens playing White in the semis and also dimly recollect him giving an interview to Dickie Davies on ITV later in the year where he talked about the big break that never quite happened.

As I recall, White played Griffiths in the Masters final and completely outplayed him.

Thanks Muppet. Yes, some things stick in the memory.

Yes, White beat Griffiths 9-5 in that final. Amazing to think it was only one of 2 triple crown events that White won.

Apparently Donald Sutherland has only ever seen one frame of live snooker in his life, and it was the Kirk 147!

The 150 break that Kirk missed out on making happened in a round robin event where each group consisted of 3 players and each match was best of 3 frames. If players were tied then the players had to try and clear the colours. This process continued until a winner emerged.

Even the final of that event was 3 players playing best of 3s. A peculiar event.