Post a reply

Hearn disses people who don't try for 147s

Postby SnookerFan

Article here;

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2017/ ... ampionship

Though, I'm annoyed that people find £5,000 not a decent enough incentive to make a 147, it seems a bit hypocritical of Hearn to moan. He's always judged success by the amount of money something makes, now he's having a go at others for it. rofl

Saying that, I personally think £5,000 is plenty for making a 147. £147,000 was absurd, considering that was more than the runner up of the entire tournament made. (In my opinion.)

Re: Hearn disses people who don't try for 147s

Postby The Herminator

I think it's definitely up for debate. Of course 147s are much more frequent so they're not as "special" as they used to be but they still count as great moments, certainly in the big tournaments, and the crowd love them. I don't see a problem putting a big prize on it in the televised stages of selected big tournaments. If there had been a £30k prize just at the crucible this year we probably would have seen one (the first for quite a few years).

Postby SnookerFan

The Herminator wrote:I think it's definitely up for debate. Of course 147s are much more frequent so they're not as "special" as they used to be but they still count as great moments, certainly in the big tournaments, and the crowd love them. I don't see a problem putting a big prize on it in the televised stages of selected big tournaments. If there had been a £30k prize just at the crucible this year we probably would have seen one (the first for quite a few years).

I wouldn't mind £30k.

The £147k they always used to have seemed excessive to me. Even before it existed as a debate.

Postby Cloud Strife

£30k is a fair compromise IMO. 147k was too much and I always thought of that as more a marketing gimmick...147k for a 147 break...sounds better for the headlines.

That said, they are not so meaningless that they should be rewarded with a pittance. People still love them and they generate a massive buzz.

Postby Iranu

Should be a bigger prize at the World Championship for me. Can't really give a logical reason for that opinion, though. Just feels different than making one in any other tournament.

£5,000 is ample prize for any other tournament though. I do agree that achieving the 147 should be its own reward.

Postby acesinc

SnookerFan wrote:Article here;

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2017/ ... ampionship

Though, I'm annoyed that people find £5,000 not a decent enough incentive to make a 147, it seems a bit hypocritical of Hearn to moan. He's always judged success by the amount of money something makes, now he's having a go at others for it. rofl

Saying that, I personally think £5,000 is plenty for making a 147. £147,000 was absurd, considering that was more than the runner up of the entire tournament made. (In my opinion.)

I find the italicized bit particularly insightful. What would be wrong with 147 fresh, new £100 notes? £14,700 is not a pittance....enough of a teaser to force a decision early on in the break to either go for it or just assure the frame win.

Postby SnookerFan

acesinc wrote:
Dan-cat wrote:Good luck with that Acesinc, £100 notes were last used by the Bank of England in 1945. :P

:emb:

Maybe they can do the payout in Bitcoin....is that still a thing?

I don't know what that is.

Postby acesinc

SnookerFan wrote:
acesinc wrote:
Dan-cat wrote:Good luck with that Acesinc, £100 notes were last used by the Bank of England in 1945. :P

:emb:

Maybe they can do the payout in Bitcoin....is that still a thing?

I don't know what that is.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bitcoin

I don't get it either but my kid has explained that since it is untraceable and used for drugs and criminal activity of all sorts, it has been under close scrutiny and not much of a thing anymore. The internet age :dizzy:

Postby SnookerEd25

Dan-cat wrote:
The Herminator wrote:Maybe they should go back to prizes rather than money. Wouldn't it be great if the prize was a speedboat or a full set of Encyclopedia Britannica.

Steve Davis won a yellow Lada for the first televised 147.

Did Cliff Thorburn get a green one? Kirk Stevens a brown? etc etc

Postby SnookerFan

SnookerEd25 wrote:
Dan-cat wrote:
The Herminator wrote:Maybe they should go back to prizes rather than money. Wouldn't it be great if the prize was a speedboat or a full set of Encyclopedia Britannica.

Steve Davis won a yellow Lada for the first televised 147.

Did Cliff Thorburn get a green one? Kirk Stevens a brown? etc etc

When they get to black, would they start again? Would fifteen guys get a red one?

Postby PLtheRef

I'm caught in the middle on this one. - I've been fortunate enough to have seen two 147 maximum breaks live and though they are considerably more common than they used to be, it is still always something special to see and makes for memorable moments. There's a buzz in an arena for the rest of the session when a 147 has been made.

I'd be most annoyed if in the audience when a player made a conscious effort not to make a maximum break as a means of protest. There should be an expectation that any player is trying their utmost. - Obviously players shouldn't be making outrageous cuts or trying to force tricky blacks to stay on the maximum. In an era when you are able to bet on near enough any feasible scenario then a player who decides not to get a maximum could ed up doing themselves as well as their sport more harm than good.

That said, I do have sympathy for the players position. - If you got £30,000 for doing a job once, then you'd feel aggrieved to only get £10,000 for doing the same job again.

Whether not going for a 147 to make a point is an appropriate course of action though remains another story.

Postby PLtheRef

SnookerFan wrote:Is that a good analogy? Is making a 147 a players job?

I didn't say that, But there is an expectation that in any match a player is going to be giving their best effort. If you had a player on 113 and in prime position on the black​ who decided to go for a long blue to the green pocket or a thin cut on the brown would you argue that though the shot they might play is entirely lawful it's not giving their best effort?

Postby TheSaviour

At last then.

One can only think that during this season Ronnie just played along the bunch. He didn´t made much anything special to happen. He didn´t made any 147s. Even when he quite obviously has that pedigree to have at least a very respectable efforts.

Ronnie played very good match with Matthew Stevens. Matthew was at his absolute best, and still somehow Ronnie managed to get better of him. The highest quality of match. Ronnie also had a few quality matches with Mark Allen. With the same resultS. But beside that he was just mediocre.

Now probaly is the correct time to give some critics. Now we have a bunch of lunatics on a loose. With the many top players probably don´t even picking up their cue for the weeks or even a month. Having a lenghty holidays or so on.

Judd made a stupendous 147. Didn´t at least Mark Davis had a few. Ross Muir a one, Gary Wilson had a one, John Higgins a very entertaining one, Tom Ford a one And Mark Allen made it also. if I recall it right. So in a way one can only think this is just another COME ON RONNIE! from Barry Hearn. Isn´t that a bit same than Heil Hitler! back in the 1930s in Berlin.. I can understand that, because he certainly has those undorthodox approches and poor habits where all the doctors or lawyers for example don´t agree with him at all. And that´s great. That´s why he certainly is indispensible for the sport. Even if genarally I don´t much understand people.

A professional fightback is something I am personally looking forward. Judd did very well, that was a highly entertaining one. A professional fightback similar to what Mark Selby produced against the high calibre player, namely John Higgins. Who knows, perhaps even I fancy to make one! Getting back to Facebook. With a nicely tanned already.
Last edited by TheSaviour on 08 May 2017, edited 2 times in total.