Post a reply

Will Selby win seven world titles?

Postby SnookerFan

Article in The Metro sports bit today, about whether Selby will eqial Hendry's seven?

Selby played it down, but hinted he still wanted to play at a high level when he was John's age.

Can he do it? More importantly, will he do it?

Discuss.

Re: Will Selby win seven world titles?

Postby mick745

Selby is at the height of his career, it just depends how long that height can last. He is riding on the crest of a wave at the moment. However, the natural order of things in sport suggests that at some point his dominance will come to an end. Therefore there is a narrow window for this.

We haven't had a world champion born after 1990 yet. In 2-3 years maybe Yuelong will be dominating, or Bingtao, or Kyren Wilson or maybe even Vafaei. Exciting times ahead.

Postby SnookerFan

mick745 wrote:Selby is at the height of his career, it just depends how long that height can last. He is riding on the crest of a wave at the moment. However, the natural order of things in sport suggests that at some point his dominance will come to an end. Therefore there is a narrow window for this.

We haven't had a world champion born after 1990 yet. In 2-3 years maybe Yuelong will be dominating, or Bingtao, or Kyren Wilson or maybe even Vafaei. Exciting times ahead.

This really is the key, isn't it?

When Ronnie won two in a row, people were asking whether he'd break Hendry's record. He got to the final again in 2014, lost, and hasn't been close since.

There's obviously no question about whether Selby can win multiple titles, he already has. Will he, is the question? Or more accurately, can he keep the momentum going to the extent he'll win another four? Seems unlikely.

I think the semis and the final (first session excluded) this year, were amongst the best I've ever seen Selby play. Seems unlikely he'll keep that momentum up.

Not impossible he'll win another four. But very, very unlikely.

Postby sas6789

SnookerFan wrote:Article in The Metro sports bit today, about whether Selby will eqial Hendry's seven?

Selby played it down, but hinted he still wanted to play at a high level when he was John's age.

Can he do it? More importantly, will he do it?

Discuss.

No chance at all he will beat Hendry's record, I can't see him winning anymore than maybe 2.

Postby The Herminator

I think he'll probably end up with 5 but it depends on the opposition as well. At the moment I can only see Ding challenging his domination (and perhaps Trump if he has some kind of epiphany). If the new crop want to challenge they need to go up a level in the tactical department. Unfortunately best of 7's do not foster that.

Postby Pink Ball

He most certainly will win seven world titles, perhaps as many as 11 or 12, but I think the real question is whether or not he can crack time travel in between all that snooker.

Seems unlikely, but I think if any man can disrupt the spacetime continuum, it'll probably be someone with shot selection as intelligent as Mark Selby's.

Postby SnookerFan

Pink Ball wrote:He most certainly will win seven world titles, perhaps as many as 11 or 12, but I think the real question is whether or not he can crack time travel in between all that snooker.

Seems unlikely, but I think if any man can disrupt the spacetime continuum, it'll probably be someone with shot selection as intelligent as Mark Selby's.

Have you just dropped all pretence that you were the one behind the Coland account?

Postby The Herminator

Pink Ball wrote:He most certainly will win seven world titles, perhaps as many as 11 or 12, but I think the real question is whether or not he can crack time travel in between all that snooker.

I hear that Shaun Murphy is currently researching whether the "Big Bang" was actually just a massive kick.