Post a reply

Re: Betfred World Championship SF 1:Mark Selby v Ding Junhui

Postby eraserhead

Pink Ball wrote:
LowKey wrote:
Chalk McHugh wrote:
GJ wrote:I'm all for fist pumps

but 3 separate reactions is a little much considering ding is such a timid character

I'll second that.Uncalled for.

Celebrating is nothing to do with Ding. If you're playing the WSC semi final then you have to expect any player with charisma and that shows emotion is going to celebrate when winning a tight match.

Yes, you should expect it playing a player with charisma. But Selby???

He did look up to a balcony a lot and grimace. <laugh>

Postby GJ

Big-butt wrote:
GJ wrote:
Alex0paul wrote:It was clear that Ding was in tears. He was trying to win it for his mum and I'm sure that his thoughts had turned to her thinking he'd let her down.

It was emotional watching that , poor ding :sad: :-(

bullocks

HEART OF STONE PAL <ok>

Postby Jester82

davisfan wrote:Contemporary snooker = heavyweight boxing in the 80s.

Selby is Trevor Berbick (overrated champ in a piss-weak era), Higgins is Larry Holmes (former champ way past his best. And fat).

Now we just need a Mike Tyson to come along and wipe the floor with everyone. How old is Ronnie Jr now?

Big words, pretty boy, big words...

Postby vodkadiet

Pink Ball wrote:
LowKey wrote:Have some of that Ding. What a sore loser. Stone face, no words and storms off (they shook hands). Love it. Get in Selby.

You voted for Brexit, didn't you? You're laughing now, but you won't be laughing when you realise all the foreigners ain't going home.

Brexit voters are in the main xenophobic. They will be very annoyed when they see just as many foreigners here in 5 years time as when they voted last year.

Postby Souvent

Snooker Overdrive wrote:
Skullman wrote:
Snooker Overdrive wrote:
Andre147 wrote:Hope Selby beats Higgins now. The only thing that can save this tournament is him beating Higgins.

It's very tough for me. Like TheRocket I like John Higgins more as a person but him drawing level with Ronnie's title haul is unsatisfying. On the other hand Selby defending the title and getting to already 3 title is maybe even worse. Also Selby would be crushed to lose in the final. So against all odds, I'll be supporting Mr. Higgins. I think.

:love: Nice to see you care so much.

Time for someone to bring Selby back to earth ;-) Like Selby did to Ronnie in 2014.

Worry not. His decline will come. And that day, when his mental strength starts deserting him, when his safety shots aren't working anymore, when his break-building abilities disappear, someone will destroy him.

Postby vodkadiet

Hearn may have to fine Ding for that handshake. It brings the game in to disrepute. He is meant to be a role model for billions of fans in China, and in the UK, Europe, Canada, Australasia, and even Brazil.

Postby Big-butt

GJ wrote:
Big-butt wrote:
GJ wrote:
Alex0paul wrote:It was clear that Ding was in tears. He was trying to win it for his mum and I'm sure that his thoughts had turned to her thinking he'd let her down.

It was emotional watching that , poor ding :sad: :-(

bullocks

HEART OF STONE PAL <ok>

Fickle hammer :td:

Postby Pink Ball

eraserhead wrote:
Pink Ball wrote:
LowKey wrote:
Chalk McHugh wrote:

but 3 separate reactions is a little much considering ding is such a timid character

Celebrating is nothing to do with Ding. If you're playing the WSC semi final then you have to expect any player with charisma and that shows emotion is going to celebrate when winning a tight match.

He did look up to a balcony a lot and grimace. <laugh>

Love his Brylcreem too.

Postby LowKey

Dannyboy wrote:
LowKey wrote:
vodkadiet wrote:Ungracious from Ding.

Very much so. All that support and backing from the crowd + BBC and he acts like that when he loses.

I can't imagine any other player in the draw acting that poorly to Selby after losing. Ding has gone down in my estimation.

How would you react if you played 12.5 hours and 32 frames and lost out a World final and a minimum of another £85,000?

Me personally? Very sporting.

The money is peanuts to Ding by the way. I'm sure that didn't cross his mind for one moment.

Postby Cheshire Cat

Very surprised by Mark Selby's reaction. My immediate thought was the UK final against ROS, when Mark was very emotional in the aftermath and dedicated the win to his friend who had just passed away.

I also think of 2014 when he dedicated the worlds to his late father. Surely he of all people must have understood just how much this loss hurts Ding, especially given his mother has only recently passed away.

Others obviously think otherwise, but i'm not impressed.

Postby LowKey

Pink Ball wrote:
LowKey wrote:
Chalk McHugh wrote:

What I mean by that is Selby shows a lot of emotion during matches. You can normally tell how he's feeling just by looking at his face and he gives a lot away. A lot of players have a poker face almost the entire match.

Postby Vallomas

That blue Ding missed on the final frame of the match was disappointing, but I think that the damage has been already done. The first four frames of today's session were massive, as it was Ding's chance to take the lead and make Selby feel even more pressure. Instead of that, we saw Mark regaining the advantage and playing much better than Junhui.

I am a little gutted for Ding, but fair play to Selby - he was the better player overall and he's the player of the Championship so far.
Last edited by Vallomas on 29 Apr 2017, edited 1 time in total.

Postby Pink Ball

LowKey wrote:
Pink Ball wrote:
LowKey wrote:
Chalk McHugh wrote:

What I mean by that is Selby shows a lot of emotion during matches. You can normally tell how he's feeling just by looking at his face and he gives a lot away. A lot of players have a poker face almost the entire match.

Selby has the personality of a coconut.

Postby LowKey

vodkadiet wrote:Hearn may have to fine Ding for that handshake. It brings the game in to disrepute. He is meant to be a role model for billions of fans in China, and in the UK, Europe, Canada, Australasia, and even Brazil.

It was cold, but he doesn't deserve a fine for it. I would be strongly against fining Ding. He shook hands with Selby.

Postby LowKey

Souvent wrote:
Snooker Overdrive wrote:
Skullman wrote:
Snooker Overdrive wrote:
Andre147 wrote:Hope Selby beats Higgins now. The only thing that can save this tournament is him beating Higgins.

It's very tough for me. Like TheRocket I like John Higgins more as a person but him drawing level with Ronnie's title haul is unsatisfying. On the other hand Selby defending the title and getting to already 3 title is maybe even worse. Also Selby would be crushed to lose in the final. So against all odds, I'll be supporting Mr. Higgins. I think.

:love: Nice to see you care so much.

Time for someone to bring Selby back to earth ;-) Like Selby did to Ronnie in 2014.

Worry not. His decline will come. And that day, when his mental strength starts deserting him, when his safety shots aren't working anymore, when his break-building abilities disappear, someone will destroy him.

Ding was very mentally strong in the match. More so than Selby.

Postby pasunegirafe

Cheshire Cat wrote:Very surprised by Mark Selby's reaction. My immediate thought was the UK final against ROS, when Mark was very emotional in the aftermath and dedicated the win to his friend who had just passed away.

I also think of 2014 when he dedicated the worlds to his late father. Surely he of all people must have understood just how much this loss hurts Ding, especially given his mother has only recently passed away.

Mark's friend passed away? I don't think that's correct. I believe his friend Bobby had to fly home because of a family emergency. Rumor was his daughter was very ill or had passed away.

Would have been a bit weird if Mark was thinking about Ding and his mother while potting frame ball. He was relieved and let it show. Might have been a bit much, but it was nothing personal against Ding.

Postby Pink Ball

vodkadiet wrote:Hearn may have to fine Ding for that handshake. It brings the game in to disrepute. He is meant to be a role model for billions of fans in China, and in the UK, Europe, Canada, Australasia, and even Brazil.

Selby should be fined for using Brylcreem.

Postby LowKey

pasunegirafe wrote:
Cheshire Cat wrote:Very surprised by Mark Selby's reaction. My immediate thought was the UK final against ROS, when Mark was very emotional in the aftermath and dedicated the win to his friend who had just passed away.

Mark's friend passed away? I don't think that's correct. I believe his friend Bobby had to fly home because of a family emergency. Rumor was his daughter was very ill or had passed away.

Would have been a bit weird if Mark was thinking about Ding and his mother while potting frame ball. He was relieved and let it show. Might have been a bit much, but it was nothing personal against Ding.

Some people will spout anything to suit their agenda. You are spot on here. Why on earth would he have been thinking about Ding's mother when potting frame ball... smh

Postby Pink Ball

pasunegirafe wrote:

While I think he did over-celebrate, I'd have to agree with that even though I'm seething right now.

Postby davisfan

Jester82 wrote:

Selby is Trevor Berbick (overrated champ in a piss-weak era), Higgins is Larry Holmes (former champ way past his best. And fat).

Now we just need a Mike Tyson to come along and wipe the floor with everyone. How old is Ronnie Jr now?

O-kay... now I'm creeped out, but whatever. I guess somebody has to like the guy.

Postby LowKey

davisfan wrote:
Jester82 wrote:

O-kay... now I'm creeped out, but whatever. I guess somebody has to like the guy.

Ok "Davisfan"

Haha.