Post a reply

Is there an inferiority complex in snooker?

Postby SnookerFan

I watched that Steve Davis documentary yesterday. (Which was decent enough.)

But they acted surprised that some people take a weeks holiday to watch snooker, and that the same people were in the same seats every year.

I've come across this attitude before. Nobody would think it unusual if a person went to every home game of their local football team. So, why are people surprised when it's snooker?

The BBC have made several factual gaffes on commentary this tournament, indicating that nobody on commentary cares about snooker if it's not on the beeb. They talk about golf more, and even last year John Virgo admitted he'd rather be watching racing than a Crucible semi-final.

Even on forums, people often compare what's happening in snooker to what Nadal/Federer or Ronaldo/Messi are doing. Or talk about what we can "learn" from darts.

I'm not saying don't like other sports, obviously. But am I alone in noticing an inherent inferiority complex in this sport?
Last edited by SnookerFan on 04 Sep 2020, edited 3 times in total.

Re: Is there an inferiority complex in snooker?

Postby GJ

Good points made , you never here the tennis commentators comparing their players to snooker players and same with golf commentators.

I love snooker regardless.

Postby Lucky

Tbf snooker is a relatively low ranked sport. Very few of the players make a decent living compared to other sports. And on a TV level it'll get moved for almost any other sporting event. The BBC see it as afternoon filler for the unemployed and retired.

Postby GJ

Lucky wrote:Tbf snooker is a relatively low ranked sport. Very few of the players make a decent living compared to other sports. And on a TV level it'll get moved for almost any other sporting event. The BBC see it as afternoon filler for the unemployed and retired.

Would the BBC ever take off live golf for Dads army no chance, but they do that on snooker

Says it all <laugh>

Postby SnookerFan

Lucky wrote:Tbf snooker is a relatively low ranked sport. Very few of the players make a decent living compared to other sports. And on a TV level it'll get moved for almost any other sporting event. The BBC see it as afternoon filler for the unemployed and retired.

:goodpost:

Postby Cloud Strife

GJ wrote:Good points made , you never here the tennis commentators comparing their players to snooker players and same with golf commentators.

I love snooker regardless.

They once mentioned Ronnie during coverage of the Open Championship golf a few years ago. Somebody landed on the green using spin to hold the ball and the commentator went, "that was almost as good as a Ronnie O'Sullivan screwback".

Also back in the day Hendry, Davis and Ronnie used to get regular mentions on Eastenders, if that counts lol. rofl

Postby SnookerFan

KrazeeEyezKilla wrote:
GJ wrote:Would the BBC ever take off live golf for Dads army no chance, but they do that on snooker

Says it all <laugh>

In fairness BBC only show about two days of Golf a year now.

They spend the next 363 days talking about it though.

Postby Andy Spark

Yes, I reckon Snookerfan is quite right in perceiving this "inferiority complex". But it is more with the BBC than Eurosport. This is because the BBC has more world champions in its team and the attitude of these people is that they worked very hard to become world champion so now they have earned (they believe!) the right to put their feet up. So they put their feet up in the booth or studio and believe that everybody around them is similarly putting their feet up. The idea that fans are very passionate about snooker is lost on them along with their own passions which used to burn ferociously when they were young and super-hungry for success playing the game.

Postby SnookerEd25

I took the second week off work to watch wall-to-wall Snooker.

My wife earlier : "Don't you ever get tired of watching Snooker?"
Me : "Don't you ever get tired of asking stupid questions?"

Postby GJ

SnookerEd25 wrote:I took the second week off work to watch wall-to-wall Snooker.

Every year I take off just under 2 weeks for the WSC its my fav time of the year

:happy: :happy: :happy:

Postby GJ

KrazeeEyezKilla wrote:The quarter finals is definitely the part of the tournament most affected by being at work during the day.

I usually miss most of day 1 due to work and then take the following 2 weeks off

Postby vodkadiet

GJ wrote:
SnookerEd25 wrote:I took the second week off work to watch wall-to-wall Snooker.

Every year I take off just under 2 weeks for the WSC its my fav time of the year

:happy: :happy: :happy:

I very rarely work when the World Championships are on. The last time I worked during the championships was 2008, and it was the worst championships ever. I knew O'Sullivan was going to win that year and as much as I tried to stop it happening by backing him to the tune of £900 during the event, I couldn't stop him and my Betfair account ballooned by £2150.

Postby SnookerFan

:bowdown: