Topic locked

8 ball league Vegas + division - in the finals

Postby Sickpotter

As all know I'm an avid snooker fan who's had little opportunity to play as much as I'd like.

To compensate for my lack of match time and to attempt to keep some fluency in my stroke I joined an 8-ball league.

5 players per team, 5 matches every tuesday for 10 weeks. While only 5 play on a given night, you are allowed subs, we've got 3. Players are assigned handicaps ranging from 5-10. The total team handicap can't exceed 40 which makes creating a strong team lineup a challenge. You often have to choose to play a weaker player to get 4 strong players or even 2 weaker players to play 3 stronger ones. Finding the optimal mix is the challenge and unfortunately as team captain it's my challenge :wild2:

This session my team finished top of the rankings which garnered us a bye for the first round of the playoffs which started yesterday. At stake, a trip to the VNEA Vegas championship, travel and lodging covered for the week. :mosh2:

Let me start by saying that I don't find byes to be all that beneficial. My reasoning is that when I do get to play I'm coming in against a team that is warmed up and just come off a win.

Anyway, my team came in cold and lost our opener in the final frame. I was the anchor and never got a shot, opponent broke and ran out. <doh>

This dropped us into the B side, making the route to the final twice as long. We managed to progress through our next two matches, one we managed to win by only 2.5 balls. Our next match was against the #2 team who'd been knocked to the b side in their 2nd match. We came out on fire and broke and ran the first 6 out of 7 racks putting our opponents almost 60 points behind. They never recovered and we won handily 1/2 way through the 4th round.

This got us to the b-side finals and we were facing a very tough team. Widely regarded as the most under handicapped team in the league we were in trouble early on. Coming into the final 5 games we were 33 points down. Our first two players were our weakest so if they lost we would've been done. Both won their matches by 10-7 scoreline (each ball is 1 point, 8 ball is 3 points) leaving us 27 behind 3 games left. My team broke next (alternate break in the final set) and did just what was needed, my top ranked player justified his 9 handicap and ran out. 10-0, leaving us 17 behind, 2 games left. I played the next frame but wasn't breaking. My opponent broke and made two balls, one solid, one stripe and had a reasonable shot on. Fortunately he missed and let me in. I cleared up finishing with a table length bank on the 8 :mosh2: . Wasn't a straight forward bank so I was very pleased I made it. 10-1 scoreline leaving us 8 behind one frame left. Final frame we broke and our team managed to win it allowing our opponents only 1 ball. With the handicap it translated into a win by only 1/2 a ball :bowdown:

Anyway, that was our route to the finals. I'm on my way out now to play the finals. We'll have to beat the A side winners twice but I'm confident we can do it :ahh:

Vegas here I come.....I hope ;)

Re: 8 ball league Vegas + division - in the finals

Postby Roland

So it's standard 8 ball but you score points depending on how many balls your opponent has left on the table? So your 7 solids/stripes plus a black = 10 points?

Sounds like you grabbed your spot in the finals by the skin of your teeth with some great play. Good luck in Vegas <ok>

Postby Sickpotter

Correct Sonny. Win is worth 10 points (7 solid/strips at 1 point each + 3 points for the 8). Total score +/- handicap to determine winning team. Cue ball fouls is a ball in hand. Pretty cut throat.

Now the good news.......

:excited: :mosh2:

I'm going to Vegas baby!!!!! Tough fight today but we managed to beat the A side winners back to back matches. First one we won fairly comfortably, the second came down to the 25th frame. :scared:

Fortunately we held our nerve and managed to pinch it. I was on a runout only to find myself hooked on my last ball. I played a great 1 rail masse kick to pot the ball and get black shape. Big turning point, glad it worked out, the shot was like a 10% or less. If I had a choice to play safe I would've for sure. ;)

Postby Roland

Still quite a way off then. I thought you were on your way today or something :redneck:

Plenty of time to get excited about it. Are any of the big name pool players going to be there?

Postby Sickpotter

There are usually a few big ones who come out. Most focus on 9-ball these days but the event usually attracts upwards of 20000 players which is bound to bring out a few hustlers/players of note. Side action galore :ahh:

Postby Sickpotter

Ya know what Sonny......I think this would be a great format for a 6 red league. If they could do the same thing with snooker that they've done with bar box 8 ball leagues it would be a great promotional boost for the game and likely attract a lot of new blood. :chin:

Postby Roland

Don't go confusing me with someone who thinks 6 reds is the way forward! I was merely suggesting that the only way I see it working is to incorporate those other aspects like set play and shot clock and no miss rule to make it snookers junior if you will. One of two events a season with the rest exclusively 15 reds.

It would be nice if there was some massive convention for snooker fans like this Vegas thing, but things that big only happen in USA!

Maybe 6 reds as described above is the way for snooker to conquer America.....but then all that will happen is America will think they own the sport, create a World Series and totally get rid of all 15 red events. :redneck:

Postby Sickpotter

I certainly wouldn't want it to interfere with the main tour but if a similar league format could be run with a large year end event like this one in Vegas it would certainly help bring the average player on board.

There are people who play in lower league divisions and even in the intermediate stuff that have little ability but they turn up week after week.

Anyway, I find the idea of setting up a 6 red league interesting and wonder if it could acheive the popularity that 8 ball has found. IMO, it would be one of the best ways to drum up interest without affecting the main tour.