Post a reply

aiming / potting

Postby bernardleung

Should there be any difference between aiming / potting the object ball on the right hand side Vs the object ball on the left hand side.

Re: aiming / potting

Postby Sickpotter

A half ball pot is always half ball regardless of which side you're aiming for so no, there shouldn't be a difference.

Postby Wildey

ill tell you a problam i have on a 12 ft table i dont have on a pool table is on long pots cuing plain ball i find it almost imposible to cut a ball it always goes straight on so i played with side but then i over cut the ball.

any ideas ?

not that i can test out your thearys at the moment havent played on a 12ft table for ohhh going on 3 maybe even 4 years.

Postby Sickpotter

Wild, I'm a little confused by your question.

From what I can tell it sounds like you try for say a 3/4 ball cut but you wind up hitting it full?

Is that correct?

And the problem only appears (or is only apparent) when on the full sized table, not on smaller ones?

If both of those interpretations are correct I'd say the larger tables are making some sighting/alignment issues more apparent.

Put the cue ball on the brown spot and an object ball on the pink spot, hit the object ball full on and have it come off the top rail and hit the cue ball again. In order to do this, do you need the cue in the middle of the chin or to one side? If you have to move to one side or another in order to hit that shot you've likely got a dominant eye.

Extremely important: If you're not aligning/aiming a shot correctly, using side to compensate is a very bad idea. Eventually you won't know how to pot the ball without the side and you will run into trouble with position.

If you're not familiar with the concept of dominant eye, basically one eye is stronger than the other so you need to align the cue to the left or right in order to see straight as being straight. Dominant eye issues really aren't as noticable on small tables as the big ones which would explain why you don't have the issue or it's not apparent on smaller tables.

When you get down on the cue, is it square in the middle of your chin or do you have it to the left or right? There's nothing wrong with being to the left or right but it could be indicative of a dominant eye.

Personally a dominant eye causes me lots of grief because for me, how dominant an eye is seems to change depending on the shot. The reality is that it's unlikely to be changing very much, it's just that I'm so used to cueing in the middle that to deviate makes the shots look wrong. It also seems to change if I'm tired or partook in some weed but again that's likely just perception. On that note, IMO weed is terrible for your snooker game. I'm not anti-weed (I know some who wouldn't be able to slow down for 2 seconds if it wasn't for dope) but if you want to play seriously weed impacts too many areas of importance for it not to have a negative impact.

One of the best examples I can think of for a developing dominate eye and the associated issues is Hendry. In the past few years people have noted how Hendry's long potting is no longer what it was and IMO it's related to him having developed a dominant eye. Look at footage from the early 90's and you'll see Hendry has the cue going right down the middle of his chin. Then have a look at some recent footage and you'll see his cue is no longer in the middle of his chin.

Not sure if I've addressed your issue Wild but please let me know if I've interpreted your question correctly or you need clarification on something I've mentioned.

Regards,
Rob

Postby Wildey

well the problam is more on a just off straight pot where i try to pot it in the corner from distance but always hit it straight on then i put side on the ball but it ends up overcuting it.

yes it is a distance thing on a small pool table there is no problam.

when i cue i try to be as straight as possible down the middle being a hendry fan i try and do things his way lol but i did not notice the dominent eye thing with hendry although i have noticed a difference in his cuing.

ill keep an eye ;) on that lol

seriously i think you could be right because ive noticed how hendry hits a lot of balls straight on with long pots . ill work on that on a pool table to see how it is then IF i get the chance on a snooker table ill see how it goes on that.

Postby Sickpotter

You could also just setup corner to corner straight shots and try to hit them straight in. If you find you need to move the cue a little left or right of center for the shot to look straight you've got a dominant eye.

Postby Smart

wildJONESEYE wrote:ill tell you a problam i have on a 12 ft table i dont have on a pool table is on long pots cuing plain ball i find it almost imposible to cut a ball it always goes straight on so i played with side but then i over cut the ball.

any ideas ? :redneck:

not that i can test out your thearys at the moment havent played on a 12ft table for ohhh going on 3 maybe even 4 years.

SPECSAVERS <laugh> rofl <laugh> rofl

Postby THEREALSILENCER

Hello,
Just read this old post and felt like saying a few words...
The analytical discussion about aiming is nice...yet as for Hendry's(like that of Murphy) aiming,he has a natural(intuitive) solid,cool 'spin shot routine' that enables him to make long pots easy for him where as the others whose shot routine is a solid but plain one(like that of White,ROS) do not feel 'that easy' with the long shots.
Thanks

Postby Smart

Wildey wrote:ill tell you a problam i have on a 12 ft table i dont have on a pool table is on long pots cuing plain ball i find it almost imposible to cut a ball it always goes straight on so i played with side but then i over cut the ball.

any ideas ?

any ideas ?????

yeah - your rubbish :clap: