Post a reply

Williams Supports Rankings Overhall

Postby Wildey

http://www.worldsnooker.com/PTC1_news(W ... s_Overhall)-2324.htm?tid=166

Former World Champion Mark Williams believes that snooker's new ranking system will be fairer for the players and more exciting for fans.

The new system will see the rankings updated at three 'cut-off points' during the season. It will be a two-year rolling list, so ranking points earned at the corresponding tournaments in the 2008/09 season will be taken off at each stage.

This means that players currently in the official top 16 are not guaranteed to be in the Masters in January or at the Crucible in April and will have to perform throughout the season to maintain their ranking. The old system updated rankings only once at the end of the season following the Betfred.com World Snooker Championship.

"The system needed a shake-up," said Williams, Crucible King in 2000 and 2003. "The way it was before, a top 16 player could lose every match, and still be there at the end of the season. The players who are getting to the later stages of tournaments should have a chance of getting into the top 16 during the season.

"The way it will work now is very cut-throat," added the Welshman, who is currently ranked eighth in the world. "If you have a bad run you could drop like a stone. But it opens it up for players lower down the rankings to climb up quickly which has got to make things more interesting for everyone. We couldn't have done it this way in the past because there weren't enough tournaments. But now we have the 12 extra Players Tour Championship events which have ranking points - and those are a great idea."

World No 24 Michael Holt agreed with Williams' assessment. "It makes the rankings more up to date and more about current form," he said. "It's still a two-year list, so you've still got protection from points you've earned in previous seasons. But if you have a purple patch you can end up being in the Masters or not having to qualify for the Crucible, and that's the way it should be, as those events should have the best players. A few years ago Ding Junhui won the UK Championship but then he lost in World qualifying so he wasn't at Sheffield, which wasn't right."

Up-and-comer Judd Trump added: "It's good because there will be more pressure for the players and more movement up and down the rankings. It's taken me quite a few years to climb up, but now players breaking through will be able to do it more quickly."

The cut-off points are shown in the calendar below:

PTC1: June 25-27
PTC2: July 9-11
PTC3: August 6-8
PTC4: August 14-16
Shanghai Masters: September 6-12
World Open: September 18-26
Euro PTC1: August 27-29
Euro PTC2: October 1-3

FIRST CUT-OFF POINT, GIVING SEEDINGS FOR THE UK CHAMPIONSHIP AND THE MASTERS

PTC5: October 8-10
PTC6: October 15-17
Euro PTC3: October 22-24
Euro PTC4: October 29-31
Euro PTC5: November 12-14
Euro PTC6: November 19-21
UK Championship: December 4-12

SECOND CUT-OFF POINT, GIVING SEEDINGS FOR GERMAN MASTERS AND WELSH OPEN

German Masters: February 2-6
Welsh Open: February 14-20

THIRD CUT-OFF POINT, GIVING SEEDINGS FOR CHINA OPEN AND BETFRED.COM WORLD SNOOKER CHAMPIONSHIP

PTC finals: March 17-20
China Open: March 28 to April 3
Betfred.com World Snooker Championship: April 16 to May 2

Re: Williams Supports Rankings Overhall

Postby Wildey

Up-and-comer Judd Trump added: "It's good because there will be more pressure for the players

trump is compleatly buggered then more pressure is the last thing on earth that would help his game.

Postby Wildey

Bourne wrote::zzz:

i know he is boring <ok>

saying such stupid things as if that would help him <doh>

;) ;) ;) rofl

Postby Witz78

wildJONESEYE wrote:
Up-and-comer Judd Trump added: "It's good because there will be more pressure for the players

trump is compleatly buggered then more pressure is the last thing on earth that would help his game.

On the flipside maybe the fact that players rankings were protected under the old system for a whole season meant Trump was under less pressure to perform and didnt take things as seriously in terms of practice and preparation as he will now that every game truly counts.

Where on the one year end of season list for 2010/11 do you think Trump will come Wild? I will confidently say he will be in the 10-16 bracket easily.

Postby Wildey

Witz78 wrote:
wildJONESEYE wrote:

On the flipside maybe the fact that players rankings were protected under the old system for a whole season meant Trump was under less pressure to perform and didnt take things as seriously in terms of practice and preparation as he will now that every game truly counts.

Where on the one year end of season list for 2010/11 do you think Trump will come Wild? I will confidently say he will be in the 10-16 bracket easily.

no over the years ive seen him play hes let himself down pretty badly under pressure.

he played well in the league and championship league because losing a match doesn't mean hes out theres other matches to come therefore he can let it flow and under those circumstance he plays to potential or close to it as of yet ive not seen him get anywhere near that form in ranking tournaments.

Postby Wildey

case_master wrote::zzz: :zzz:

i know i know Trump is :zzz: :zzz: with these pathetic excuses why hes not done better <ok>

Postby Casey

wildJONESEYE wrote:

i know i know Trump is :zzz: :zzz: with these pathetic excuses why hes not done better <ok>

He has done very well for a 20 year old <ok>

This seaosn with 20 tournaments is the one to judge him on.

Postby Wildey

case_master wrote:
wildJONESEYE wrote:

He has done very well for a 20 year old <ok>

This seaosn with 20 tournaments is the one to judge him on.

i concede that and hes not the only one <ok>

Postby Roland

For christs sake wild can you not leave Judd Trump alone? Next time you see his name IGNORE IT!!!!

Postby Wildey

anyway its nice to see players excited about a change in Ranking Structure