Post a reply

Hendry’s Snub signals the end is neigh.

Postby Casey

When Stephen Hendry was at his peak and winning everything in sight he always maintained he would retire at 30 years old. Obviously this was a statement often with little foresight, no consideration was given to what he would do with himself if he had of retired at that age, right in the prime of life.

One thing he did not bargain on was his thrust for competition, the thrill of winning and playing on the biggest stages. Winning a world title in his 30’s has justified playing on past his self labelled sell by date, although nobody can go on forever. He has remained a great competitor over the years, still winning titles at 36 he also reached the World Championship semi final at 38 and hit a magnificent 147 at 39. These achievements whilst modest in his overall career have made it worth while for his fans and the man himself to stick around.

In 2004 aged 34 during the Irish Masters Stephen once again flaunted with the notion of retiring, he talked about how he found it hard to get motivated for some events and wasn’t able to bring his best to the table anymore, the following day he lost to Mark King 5-4 in the first round. That notion since passed and he never muttered the word ‘retirement’ again, that is not until this years world championship.

He didn’t lose one first round ranking match all season which is a good achievement, however the ability to compete with the worlds top 8 has become a more difficult task for the games greatest ever player. This years world championship proved he doesn’t have the sustainable edge to consistently knock in the required big breaks.

During the 2nd & 3rd sessions against Mark Selby Stephen looked like a man who had simply lost his desire, the will to fight and play to the end. This is something we have not been accustomed to from Stephen, even during his heavy defeat to Ronnie in 2008 he managed to remain focused and committed to his pride up until the very end. One of his greatest strengths that has carried him through the years has finally burned out and the writing was on the wall so to speak.

After his first round match he admitted he would have retired had he been beaten, it came as no surprise that the subject came up again in his 2nd round post match interview. Having suggested he thought about it, he ended the interview by saying he will be back next year, a year that in my own opinion will be his last.

Having been invited to play in the PL for 20 years Stephen has failed to receive an invite from Barry Hearn for the 2010 event. There is no doubting that despite his decline he is still one of the few players that can pack out an arena, Steve Davis and Jimmy White also received wildcards far later in their career paths.

He can’t survive in the sport if he fails to attend the PTC events, but surviving is most likely the last thing on his mind. A season’s farewell is on the cards and snooker could well be about to lose one of its greatest servants. It will be both a sad and joyous day when Stephen plays his last frame, but as is life, all good things........

Edit by Sonny - nice article Casey but I had to edit the speculative sentence :santa:

Re: Hendry’s Snub signals the end is neigh.

Postby Wildey

unlike Steve Davis and Jimmy White Stephens Love for snooker goes hand in hand with picking up a trophy at the end of the tournament for him being Runner up was and is failure so god knows how he feels with the Last 16 or Last 32...the desire he once had isnt there anymore hes gone to long without feeding that passion with a trophy.

Hendry has never really played for Rankings his absence from the PTC is proof of that.

Postby Tubberlad

Thing is though Wild, even if he doesn't play for rankings, he needs to maintain a decent position his career is to continue, and Hendry himself knows this. Yeah, I think it does say a lot when Hendry is not attending, and maybe we are nearing the end. Hopefully not though, it's sad to see a great player leaving.

Postby N_Castle07

I would like to see Hendry play on for another 5 years or so. But on the other hand i would much rather him to retire in the top 16 rather than down the rankings like White. To my memory no player has retired whilst being in the elite top 16. I think Terry Griffiths retired with a reasonable ranking but not sure if he was in the top 16 or not?

Postby Casey

Griffiths was in the top 16 but he knew he was on the way out. In his last season he only attended half the tournaments, this couldn’t be the same for Stephen though with the new ranking system.

Postby Wildey

thetubberlad wrote:Thing is though Wild, even if he doesn't play for rankings, he needs to maintain a decent position his career is to continue, and Hendry himself knows this. Yeah, I think it does say a lot when Hendry is not attending, and maybe we are nearing the end. Hopefully not though, it's sad to see a great player leaving.

that is why i think the title of this thread is spot on......he could go on for ever and maintain a desent ranking similar to Davis but unless he wins tournaments i think he will find that pointless and what will be will be in other words if im not good enough to maintain a Ranking with a major Ranking Tournament then i think he hasnt the passion to continue like case i felt that watching him against Selby in the WC.

Postby N_Castle07

case_master wrote:Griffiths was on the top 16 but he knew he was on the way out. In his last season he only attended half the tournaments, this couldn’t be the same for Stephen though with the new ranking system.

So Hendry could become the highest ranked player to retire? Ironically Higgins could be the highest ranked player ever to be gone from the game ranked number 1. I really hope this is not the case tho.

Postby Casey

N_Castle07 wrote:
case_master wrote:Griffiths was on the top 16 but he knew he was on the way out. In his last season he only attended half the tournaments, this couldn’t be the same for Stephen though with the new ranking system.

So Hendry could become the highest ranked player to retire? Ironically Higgins could be the highest ranked player ever to be gone from the game ranked number 1. I really hope this is not the case tho.

Yes he would be the highest ranked player to retire, Higgins would be the highest ranked player to be banned although I too hope this is not the case.

Postby Wildey

thetubberlad wrote:I think Griffiths was top 16 actually...

Griffiths Droped out of the top 16 after the 1995/1996 season to no 23 but in the 1996/1997 season he only entered the World Championship and he beat Alfie Burden 10-4 to qualify he got drawn against Mark Williams as no 16 seed and Mark beat him 10-9 and hes never played again anywhere not even in Legends Tournament or the up coming seniors This season

Postby Wildey

N_Castle07 wrote:

jesus christ yes hope john back ASAP.

Postby Wildey

Dave H said...

With regards to Hendry in the new PTC series, Ian Doyle has contacted me to say that he's missing the first two because of holidays and the third one because of an engagement in China but that he intends to play in the fourth one as well as the ones in Europe

Postby Casey

wildJONESEYE wrote:
Dave H said...

With regards to Hendry in the new PTC series, Ian Doyle has contacted me to say that he's missing the first two because of holidays and the third one because of an engagement in China but that he intends to play in the fourth one as well as the ones in Europe

:chin: :chin:

Stephen suggested different, a bit of PR possibly from Ian Doyle there.

Hopefully that is the case, although I thought you had to attend 4 of each to qualify for the final 24? If he misses 3 its very unlikely he will make it anyway.

Postby Wildey

case_master wrote:
wildJONESEYE wrote:
Dave H said...

:chin: :chin:

Stephen suggested different, a bit of PR possibly from Ian Doyle there.

Hopefully that is the case, although I thought you had to attend 4 of each to qualify for the final 24? If he misses 3 its very unlikely he will make it anyway.

no a newspaper suggested differently what the actual truth is who knows.

Postby Casey

Sonny wrote:It's at least 3 of each to qualify

I see, well he would have some catching up to do come the 4th event (in which he will not be seeded)

Postby Wildey

case_master wrote:
Sonny wrote:It's at least 3 of each to qualify

I see, well he would have some catching up to do come the 4th event (in which he will not be seeded)

theres another way to look at it when he is under most pressure he performs who knows having to play catch up might be the inspiration he needs. on ocations he has looked good then fallen off theres no consistancy at all there maybe having the rankings like it has been updated and playing catch up might be just what he needs.

Postby Monique

All players selected have won a major tournament last season except for Murphy the defending Champion and Fu who won the qualifying event. It's clearly a change in selection criteria: quality and form rather expected popularity. IMO it's a wise choice. Some matches last season were poor and some venues not packed, a rare occurence in PL. Hendry hasn't won anything since the Malta Cup in 2005. Davis has got a great run in the WC and he is partner of Matchroom and he isn't there neither.
It is in my opinion preposterous to suggest that Hendy doesn't care for ranking. He certainly does and he's a very proud man. Dave Hendon on his blog says Hendry had holidays planned now and a commitment in China that will prevent him to be in PTCs 1,2 &3, but that he should be in PTC4.

Postby Wildey

Leaving out Hendry was 100% the right desition i was against his inclusion last season....

simple really win matches win tournaments get invitations.