Post a reply

June 2010 - Reanne Evans is WPBSA player of the month

Postby Monique

http://www.worldsnooker.com/wuxi_classi ... tm?tid=164
Player of the Month

Worldsnooker.com’s Player of the Month feature returns, taking an in-depth look into the career of one player, in four weekly parts. June’s player is Reanne Evans, the six-times World Ladies Champion who will compete on the professional Tour this season.

Part one: Getting into snooker

All of my family played snooker, and when I was young I used to watch my two brothers Ryan and Richard play. I first had ago myself when I was 11 or 12. I went straight on to a full size table and I remember at first I had to wear big bunny slippers so I could reach!

Every now and then someone made a comment that it was strange for a girl to be playing snooker – and that still happens now occasionally. But most people said ‘fair play’ for having a go, especially when they saw that I could play.

At first I just enjoyed playing, and didn’t think about whether I was any good. My brothers were my idols and I just wanted to play like them.

Everything came naturally and within about a year of playing I made my first century. My brother had bought a new cue, and I really liked his old cue. He said that if I made a century I could have it. About a month later I was playing against him, and I made a 107. He was gutted! I still use the same cue today.

Next week - Part two: breaking through

Re: June 2010 - Reanne Evans is WPBSA player of the month

Postby SnookerFan

"Every now and then someone made a comment that it was strange for a girl to be playing snooker – and that still happens now occasionally. But most people said ‘fair play’ for having a go, especially when they saw that I could play." It seems phenomenal to me that people still have this attitude. I mean, they let women vote and everything now, you know....

Then again, I went to see Legally Blonde; The Musical in London, and was surprised when I got called girly. So I guess maybe I'm not the best at predicting when things are going to happen. <laugh>

Postby Monique

parts 2 and 3

http://www.worldsnooker.com/wuxi_classi ... _the_Month)-2312.htm?tid=164
Player of the Month

Part two of Reanne Evans' month as worldsnooker.com's featured player.

I started playing in local leagues and regional matches. I was playing a match against Stoke when a coach called Neil Selman spotted me and said I should try playing on the World Ladies circuit.

I was only 15 at the time, and the World Championship was sponsored by Embassy, so I had to wait until I was 16. That was my first tournament, and I got to the semi-finals, which were played at the Crucible.

To get there I beat Lynette Horsburgh, who was one of the best players at the time, 4-3 on the black. I was making regular 50 and 60 breaks and people were asking ‘who is this young girl?’ which made me feel good.

In the semis I lost to Kelly Fisher – she was the dominant player by a mile at the time. But I knew that if I kept improving then I would have the chance to win titles.

Next week – part three: dominating the women’s game

http://www.worldsnooker.com/blogs(Player_of_the_Month)-2322.htm
Player of the Month

Part three of Reanne Evans' month as worldsnooker.com's featured player.

Since breaking through on the ladies' circuit, I’ve won the World title six times in a row, and I’ve won 61 consecutive matches on the ladies circuit.

Probably my best achievement was winning the World when I was seven and a half months pregnant with my daughter Lauren in 2006. I wasn’t expecting anything from the tournament because I could hardly reach the table – I could only just break off without using the rest! But I felt like I had nothing to lose and ended up playing well. I also won the mixed doubles with Mark Allen.

I practised often with Mark while we were together and my game improved a lot – you can only learn from someone as good as him.

In the past couple of years I have felt as if I was stuck in a rut in women’s snooker. I couldn’t win anything that I hadn’t already won, and I felt as if I needed a new challenge.

I had a big confidence boost last December when I played John Higgins in the World Six-Reds Championship in Ireland and beat him 4-3. He was World Champion at the time and had just finished playing in the UK Championship, but he played well in the match and there was a fair crowd watching. I made some good breaks including a 50 in the deciding frame so I was really pleased by the way I had played and handled the pressure.

Next week – part four: Getting a wild card to the pro Tour.

Postby Wildey

Sonny wrote:I'm looking forward to seeing her in action this coming season.

let hope she gets a favourable draw in quals so she gets the confidence and we do see her on TV Playing the big guns to see how she will get on.

dont forget she beat higgins in the 6 red WC ok thats different but even so to beat higgins how many balls on table anywhere she must have played well.

Postby Monique

http://www.worldsnooker.com/PTC1_news%2 ... tm?tid=166
Player of the Month

The fourth and final part of Reanne Evans' month as worldsnooker.com's featured player.

Earlier this year I decided to apply for a wild card to the professional circuit so I sent in a letter of application. With Barry Hearn coming in as WPBSA Chairman, I thought there might be more of a chance because he was coming up with new ideas.

I was told that I had been given a place in the World Open, which has some slots for amateur players, so I was happy with that.

But then one day I was at home, watching cartoons on TV with my daughter Lauren, when I got a call to say I had been given the wild card to the Tour. I was in shock, I didn’t know what to say...so I just said yes!

I’m really looking forward to it now. It’s going to be the biggest challenge of my career as the standard will be really high. I’m going to try my best and just enjoy it – whatever happens it will be a steep learning curve for me. It’s so hard to stay on the Tour, but that’s what I’m hoping for.

I’m practising with a few different pro players to get as ready as I can. Being on the Tour has given me the incentive to push myself as hard as I can.

Unfortunately I missed the first Players Tour Championship event as I already had a holiday booked. But I’ll be playing in the second one and can't wait.

Good luck Reanne. :D

Postby Wildey

Her PTC Professional Career gets underway in 11 days time.

people are skeptic her inclusion is based on sex i disagree i think her inclusion is included on talent and achievement lets face it theres not a snooker amataur anywhere that was as successful as her ok in the womans game but when you look at wild cards and qualifying criteria of the past she is definitely more worthy than some by miles.

Postby SnookerFan

Monique wrote:Reanne said that she would love to still take part to some events but with the MT calendar full as it is I doubt she can manage that. Wait and see...

Theoretically, is one permitted to play in both? I assume if the scheduling held up, you'd not be stopped entering the women's events because you are on the main tour, right? I mean, is there any criteria to play in/try to qualify for the women's World Championship other then being female?

Postby JohnFromLondonTown

I've seen this young lady play, beat a pretty drunk John Higgins 4-3 in the 6Reds. I watched her play the next day against some fella from India on the Tv table, plenty of pressure, but she handled it well.
She's a funny cue action, cue's over one eye, the left I think....

I can't see her doing that well to be honest, apologies if I'm bursting anyone's bubbles, tho I hope I'm proved wrong. The lady's first target should be to keep her tour card.

Good luck to the lady anyway, great exposure for the lady, the women's game in general, which can only aspire other lady players to do well, & its a good move overall. The last thing we want is to revert back to the closed shop days.

Postby Monique

I agree John, it will be difficult and Reanne knows it. I don't think she has ambitions above staying on the MT and that would be a very good achievement. She couldn't progress unless she had the opportunity to compete against a stronger opposition. She knows this is her chance and I'm sure she will try hard to take it.

Postby JohnFromLondonTown

wildJONESEYE wrote:John

is it because shes a woman or because of the cue action you think she wont do that well ?

Neither. I don' think she's got it, to be honest. The Lady will win a few match's, make no mistake, but as I said, the Lady's target first & foremost should be to keep her card & stay on the Tour.

Postby Wildey

fair enough

is there one particular thing she not got ....i know these sounds like 20 questions but ive not seen her play compatition you have in ireland im just curious.

Postby Wildey

Monique wrote:what she's not got Wild is ... competition. Simple as that.

that is exactly my thought entierly.

you can reach a certain standard but to go to the next level you need better players and this season by playing maybee 11 ptc and 7 rankers against men she might get that competitive edge that might be missing.

Postby SnookerFan

This is probably going to sound sexist towards my own gender, if that's possible, but I'd like to see her do well purely because she is a woman. Not for her own benefit, but if she suceeds it may inspire other women to get onto the main tour. That can only improve the woman's game. On saying that, I don't think we need to be reminded that she is female every two minutes. It kind of gets boring every time Michaela Tabb referees a final she hasn't done before. Because, despite good intentions of encouraging other women, it's made such a big deal of it almost suggests it's a novelty. "Look what a woman can do." (Though don't get me wrong, I wouldn't get bored of watching her.) Esentially we should reach a point whereby people are judged on merit, not gender. I hope Reanne doesn't let this become a distraction.

Personally, I don't see the need for gender segregation in the sport anyway. Snooker isn't a game that requires strength or anything else that would put females at a disadvantage. It's a game of skill, so therefore no reason why a woman wouldn't be as skilfull as a man. (Providing they've had the same opportunities to practice and improve their games etc.) I guess having a seperate Women's World Championship may encourage more women to compete, but if you're not continually playing the best (whether they are male or female) you won't improve.