Post a reply

Betfred World Championship (Sat April 15th) Last 32 !!

Postby Wildey

Image Image Image
Saturday 16th of April~Monday 2nd of May at The Crucible Theatre, Sheffield

Mark Selby starts his defence against Marathon Frame Man Fergal O'Brien while Anthony McGill will play fellow Glaswegian Stephen Maguire who had to Qualify for the first time since 2005, Both Matches are played to a finish on the first day.

And in the afternoon Ronnie O'Sullivan starts out against debutant Gary Wilson and Kyren Wilson plays another debutant David Grace.

DRAW

ORDER OF PLAY

Saturday 15th of April

10am

Mark Selby 8-1 Fergal O'Brien Selby leads 4-2
Anthony McGill 2-7 Stephen Maguire McGill leads 4-1

2.30pm

Ronnie O'Sullivan v Gary Wilson O'Sullivan leads 1-0
Kyren Wilson v David Grace Grace leads 3-1

7pm

**Mark Selby 8-1 Fergal O'Brien Selby leads 4-2
**Anthony McGill 2-7 Stephen Maguire McGill leads 4-1

** Denotes Final Session of a Match

Re: Betfred World Championship (Sat April 15th) Last 32 !!

Postby TheRocket

Traditionally Ronnie had always been very steady and played solid from round one when he won all of his 5 world titles. So that first match ,even though the opponent is obviously not world class will kinda show how things will be going.

If he keeps missing those sitters again and making unforced error after unforced error, the chances of him winning the World title will decrease rapidly. Can't see him improving from match to match.

Postby Andre147

TheRocket wrote:Traditionally Ronnie had always been very steady and played solid from round one when he won all of his 5 world titles. So that first match ,even though the opponent is obviously not world class will kinda show how things will be going.

If he keeps missing those sitters again and making unforced error after unforced error, the chances of him winning the World title will decrease rapidly. Can't see him improving from match to match.

Fully agree. His approach to the match, more than anything, will tell us how much he wants a 6th World Title and how his mind is fully focused on the job.

One positive here is he doesn't have any punditry bullocks to work on, so in theory Snooker should be the only thing going through his mind, but we know it isn't that simple with him...

Not saying unless Ronnie hits 3 or 4 tons in his opening match, then he has a chance, no, what I mean (and I'm sure TR too) is that he cant afford to miss those sitters he's been doing all season, because we know it might be enough to beat WIlson, but certainly not enough to possibly beat Murphy in round 2, or even Bingtao who knows..
Last edited by Andre147 on 14 Apr 2017, edited 1 time in total.

Postby Andre147

Also, very strange Ronnie playing on the opening day given he isn't defending champion.

Honestly cant remember the last time that happened with him... usually on Monday or Tuesday,...

Postby PLtheRef

Going to be an interesting day as always to get the championship up and running. You'd expect Selby to comfortably beat O'Brien. The other one more tough to call but then again Maguire doesn't enjoy the Crucible and McGill usually does well here.

It'll be interesting to see how Wilson and Grace both get on.

Postby Wildey

Andre147 wrote:Also, very strange Ronnie playing on the opening day given he isn't defending champion.

Honestly cant remember the last time that happened with him... usually on Monday or Tuesday,...

I Think thats a random thing nothing pre decided.

Postby hendry_fan

I,m actually lookin forward to the Selbs v O`Brien match,gonna be intrestin to see if Selbs can deal with Fergals double checkings,slowish play and any other antics/tactics Fergal might serve up,one might be,that he takes a lot of comfort breaks. :-D

Shame that Ants has to play Mags,i,m a tad more for Mags and i think he,ll beat Ants.

If Gary can score heavily like he did in his qualifying matches,then Ronnie could be blown away. :happy:

I predict Kyren to send Grace packin.

Postby SnookerFan

Skullman wrote:I have been roped into a meeting just when the snooker starts :bird:

I thought students were meant to be lazy...

Still if Fergal works his magic they might still be in the first frame when I get back.

Fergal will still be considering the break off.

Postby eraserhead

Probably going to be watching Maguire - McGill as it's an interesting match up, fully expect Selby to win his eventually.

Personally even though I like Maguire I'll be rooting for Ants as I'd like to see him and Kyren establish themselves as top players now, and start seeing them at the business end more often.

Postby ScottCorno

Dannyboy wrote:How does the guy with the Coventry shirt still get that No.1 seat? I thought season tickets had been discontinued?

I heard (or read) the discounts have been discontinued... perhaps they still get first dibs, albeit, full price for each session.